reduce the dust flow to the filter, thus easy cleaning and long time
between air filter changes.

What's the thinking around here??

Cheers,

Patrick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 18:48

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 18:48
I have unifilter sock fitted to mine and it seems to work well enough to make it worthwhile.
'tis cleanable type so one off purchase anyways.
AnswerID: 69741

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:22

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:22
I bought a Donaldson pre-cleaner from ARB for about $45. On a recent Simpson trip, it picked up about a cup of dust...

I do sit a bit close to the bloke in front at times, but it's hard to avoid dust of oncoming vehicles! - I reckon it was well worth while.. Easy to swap over.
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 69755

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 13:16

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 13:16
Bit hard not to sit close to the car in front when trying to see camels though.....8-)))
FollowupID: 330083

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:36

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:36
Nissan don't recomend them as they restrict the air flow & the air flow meter can play up & cause lots of probs.
AnswerID: 69760

Reply By: Biggus - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:51

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 19:51
Patrick
When driving on dusty roads at reduced speed, why not rotate the intake of the snorkel 180deg so that it is facing rearwards. The dust will no longer be rammed into the intake but should in effect flow around and past the intake head, i'm sure "some" dust will still be ingested but this has to be at a reduced amount.
Once back on the blacktop, stop, "airup" the tyres and rotate the snorkel intake back to the fwd direction to best utilise the ram air effect gained by your snorkel at highway speed.
Regards
Biggus
AnswerID: 69763

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:07

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:07
Patrick,
I had a sock in my GQ snorkle worked well for me and as mentioned turning the head of the snorkle around (if you can) also reduces the amount of dust, on long trips I carried a couple of clean socks with me. If I was on the highway I'd take it out and store it in a plastic bag, only takes 10 secs to put the sock in or take it out, easily done at a toilet stop somwhere . Oiling the filter is critical to it's performance and how it effects everything downstream of the filter, I use a syringe to measure the amount of oil I actually put into the filter when re oiling, it's very easy to over oil the filters.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 69776

Reply By: TD6 - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:09

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:09
A Diesel motor works like an air complressor ie: the more air the better they perform. Restricting the air flow in any way such as a sock is limiting the amount of air to some degree. Either fit a Donaldson pre cleaner or try the new Turbo III pre cleaner. This unit has a fan inside it which spins as the air is drawn through it. You get the same effect as a Donaldson ie: catches the dirt etc up at the top of the snorkel and you also get the ram effect as the air is forced down the snorkel by the fan. I have run both systems and have decided on the Turbo III. It's noisy but very effective.
Your best indication on any of this type of thing is the earth moving equipment in the mining game. This is the system they use.
AnswerID: 69829

Sponsored Links