Piranha Wiring Loom-Hard to fit?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:36
ThreadID: 15046 Views:4389 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have done a search of the archives, but can't find my answers there.

I am about to try and cure the dim lighting on my 1991 80 Series Landcruiser. I am considering a Piranha Wiring Loom, and once fitted, will make a further decision on replacing the headlights, probably with Hella inserts.

Q1. Are these looms easy to fit for a non-techno/electrical person like myself? I can trace wires easily enough, but beyond that all I have is some persistence and patience.

Q2. Is Piranha the only option, as I consider them *very* expensive. I had a local auto electrician say he could do a new wiring loom for $300. I know Piranha is not as expensive as that, but for a fist full of wires it still seems expensive.

Thanks

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:46
For a few connectors, relays, fuse holders and wires they are very expensive. They are simple enough to make yourself. If your not sure how to go about it, go to one of the stockists and ask to see a loom. Then just copy it. Basically you need the loom to take power from the battery, through a relay and then to the headlight. You use the standard vehicle wiring to control the relays.

If you can't find a place that sells the plugs for the back of the bulbs. I went to the wreckers and just cut some out of wrecks. Easy.

If you are not capable of doing this I am sure you will have a friend who could do this for you for a carton of their favourite brew. Would only take a couple of hours from building the loom to fully installed.

Utemad
AnswerID: 69836

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:50

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:50
I had a similar problem with my FJ75 troopy recently. I replaced the battery with a new NZ70 but I still seemed to get the dim headlights every now & then. I then got the alternator tested which seemed to be OK but I got it rebuilt anyway. Still had the dim headlights. I'm an Electrical Engineer, thought I had a clue or two, but I finally had to get the auto electrician to sought it out for me. It turned out that that the charge light was not illuminated when the ignition was first turned on. I thought the globe had gone.

After 3 hours the Auto elect found that a relay had been installed behind the glove box by a previous owner to excite the alternator, but it wasn't always pulling in. The auto elect replaced same & bingo the problem was fixed. The charge light comes on now when the ignition is first turned on & goes off (like it should) as the engine revs up. I can here the relay click in. Now my headlights are normal at last.

Maybe U have a similar problem??

Hope this helps U.
AnswerID: 69838

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:26

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:26
G'day Jack,
I'm using a Piranha loom on my GU, and yes,they are very easy to fit...
(written instructions included, from memory)...
They do seem rather expensive (think I paid a little over $100), but seeing that there's a bit of work involved in putting them together, and that they are very much a "plug'n'play" proposition, then the convenience factor would account for a large slice of the retail price... I consider the quality to be very good.. they also have a take-off from the high-beam circuit to energise a driving light relay....

Pretty sure that ARB also do a similar product, & I would assume that the price would be similar (if not more)....

The Hella inserts are a good idea (IMO), had these in my previous vehicle (GQ) and with 100/90w. globes they made a significant difference to the lighting...

Hope this is of some assistance...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 69861

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 13:39

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 13:39
Wiring is easy if you have the time and a bit of understanding and the tools. However having had to try and recover from a lot of other peolples well meaning efforts I can assure you that a well made plug in kit like the Piranha is worth the peace of mind.

It takes time to build a loom properly so if you took their labour out of the price then the parts probably didn't cost all that much. There again they will have made sure they used the right bits to guarantee it works properly.

I think its been covered a few times previously but making sure the "bunch of wires" is actually suitable for what you intend them to do is not always easy. Decisions on wire size,
current carrying capacity,
voltage drop,
terminal security
the right relays etc

anyway just food for thought

regards

A

AnswerID: 69875

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:15

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:15
It isn't all that hard to figure out (especially if you get a good look at a pre-made one first). It just comes down to whether you want to pay for someone elses labour or do it yourself.
Mine looks just like the IPF ones from ARB in our work vehicles :-)

Utemad
FollowupID: 330099

Sponsored Links