Kids and travelling

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 13:34
ThreadID: 15056 Views:2008 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Today was the first day back at kinda and creche for Tegan and Callum after nearly 7 weeks, and I was a bit nervous as to how they'd be. They took along with them a display board with a collage of photos.

When I went to pick them up at 12.00 I was greeted by two very impressed teachers who said that T & C stood up before their classes and gave a talk on what they did, what they saw, what they learnt and pointed to the photos and explained each one...the only thing Callum forgot was Kata Tjuta [the Olgas] which he described as "some rocks"..hahaha...both teachers told me that both T & C seemed to have grown up somehow and seemed more confident...which was a great relief to me...so....bring on more adventures !!!

cheers

Lyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:14

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:14
"Some rocks" is alot easier to pronounce and spell. Got great kids you have there Lyn take them out for an ice cream as a treat, good pics too Lyn thanks.

Baz.
AnswerID: 69877

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:18

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:18
hi Baz, I'll have to force myself to agree with you [even though they send me round the twist at time...lol]...glad you liked the pics

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 330096

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:38

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:38
Lyn, keep travelling and broadening the minds of your kids. They may never know what has swept them through the world and their schooling but it will surely help as they understand more around them.

I have enjoyed your photos too as you already know. See you all soon.
AnswerID: 69880

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:33

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:33
Welcome home Lyn!

From reading all your posts it certainly sounds like you all had a great trip!

Have you got your photos up on you web site yet?

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 69888

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:37

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:37
Hi Sam, I have them uploaded onto another site....

here's the link, sorry I'm still not certain on pasting hyperlinks...

http://mrsal.smugmug.com/
FollowupID: 330102

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:39

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:39
Well done Tegan and Callum, bring on the next trip.

I have always believed that kids gain a greater understanding of things and also learn more while being on the road. It is easier to explain things to them when you can point them out to them. James' maths knowledge increased due to us educating him on distances and using road signs etc. He is great with maps and geography due to me asking him to tell me where we are and how far to go etc. History is good as we teach him what has happened in each area we have travelled. Reading has improved because he reads notes on boards etc, and most of all his English and writing have improved as he writes a journal on his trips. James and I have been travelling since he was 8 months old, and his retention of where we have been, what we have done, and where it is on a map in fantastic. As far as creche, kindergarten, primary school years go, there is no better education method for a child than touring Australia.....now the only question is where to next? If you ask James it is Darwin, Perth, Tasmania, but NOT Coober Pedy as he is tired of going there every year...hahahahaha

Cheers
AnswerID: 69890

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:47

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:47
Tegan asked me on her way home "when are we going away again mum?"......so much to see....might just have to get the map out and stick a pin in it and see where it lands.....
FollowupID: 330103

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:59

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:59
Al & Mrs AL,

And any others out there reading along.

We have been travelling with the kids since 1992. My son was 5 months old when we left on our first 4wd trip to Fraser Island. Friends thought we were mad, camping with a baby, but we did it anyway.

I have been critisized once by a guy in a caravan park in Mackay who thought I was irrisponsible for exposing my kids to "the dangers of Cape York". I ignored him.

Daniel and his two sisters have missed huge chunks of school over the past 5 years in particular but it has done thm no harm. We a high distinction an a distinction in the recent science comp. I am not saying this to brag about my kids, although I am pretty proud of them. I use these results to agree with what has been said above.

One of my favourite sayings is "No teacher like experience and no school like the world."

Get the kids out there and let them learn.
Duncs.

p.s. I think I could do with more time at school myself.
AnswerID: 69895

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:10

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:10
Hi Duncs..

I agree with you, kids take a lot more in than we give them credit for I think, Tegan certainly asked me alot of questions about the things she was looking at and the people around her, which I answered as honestly and simply as I could [given that she isn't 5 yet]....if by travelling around my kids get the spirit of adventure and the confidence to go on travelling when they're older, then a few weeks or months missed of schooling will be worth it....

as to more time at school, I decided to go back this year....and do you think I can get my head around this semester's assignments....groan....oh to be somewhere else .....
FollowupID: 330108

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:53

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:53
goodday lyn & al & little ones
we always find it takes about 6-8 weeks to get the travel bug out of our system once we reach home again ughhorrible thought

steve
FollowupID: 330123

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:23
Lynda that is great to hear, they remember ots kids do and sometimes we forget that (Ballarat hahahahahaah), but i firmly believe that travel broadens not only knowledge but confidence and resourcefulness, Paul, one of the BarbyBunch was recognised by his Yr 6 teacher as having the best general knowledge in a student that he had seen. John often mentioned that Paul would pipe up, oh yes theyre made of granite...or something like that from one or another of our travels. The school of travel is rich in experience and enjoyment.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 69951

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:10
Hiya Bonz...yes it's a amazing what they retain...breakfasts and stuff...ahahhaha....
FollowupID: 330179

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:36
Thats it Lynda exactly what I was thinking
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 330187

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:58

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:58
I am eternally grateful to my parents for the formative experiences gained while travelling around Oz for a few years whilst in primary school. My Primary eduction was pretty broken up with 6 moths here and 1 year there but they made sure we were home by the time I went to high school (I am the oldest of 2). It was important that I got a stable high school education.

The travelling was just fantastic as a kid. Sure beat just hanging out at the suburban mall getting in trouble!. I was exposed to all different environments from Qld canefields to WA south west. We were in Albany when the whaling stopped.

Take them away as much as you can!A few weeks out of school is nothing compared to the character building of a travelling lifestyle. At least until the High School years.

Now my parents are doing it all again as Grey Nomads! Currently in Wyndham.

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 69960

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:12

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:12
Hi Muddy,

yep for sure they'll be taken away as much as possible....and are already asking about going camping somewhere soon....

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 330182

Follow Up By: duncs - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:05

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:05
At Least you know where your parents are.

Mine are somewhere in Qld, last I heard. I know they won't be far from the coast as they now live on a boat.
FollowupID: 330818

Sponsored Links