Fitting Air Tank to 4WD

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:35
ThreadID: 15058 Views:17302 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyuone advise me if they have fitted an Air Tank to their 4WD, I have an ARB air compressor mounted in my Landrover, and would like to fit a tank so I can use air tools etc. Can this be done? Will the tank hold enough pressure to run air tools etc. The other idea would to be to fill the tank as I'm driving, then once I reach an area where I have to let my tyres down, I can blow them up much quicker from the tank, than from the air compressor alone? Also, does anyone know if the pressure switch on the ARB compressor will stop the unit operating once the small tank on the unit reaches a certain pressure, or will it just blow-up on me. I have fitted a Ryco fitting to the end of the hose so I can attach different fittings, but this stops the flow-through of air?

Kind Regards

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:02

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:02
I have the toolbox version with the pressure switch. The pressure switch does switch the compressor off once a certain pressure is reached in the tank. This is what it is for. The cheaper tool box unit does not have the pressure switch therefore it just keeps on pumping. It also does not have the one way coupling thingy which allows the tank to fill.

I would imagine it is possible to have it fill a larger tank but I would think it would fill it bloody slowly. I wouldn't think you could run air tools from it as the compressor wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

AnswerID: 69885

Follow Up By: N.T. Home - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:52

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:52
thanks for the comments mate, see you on the red sand.

FollowupID: 330134

Reply By: Gerry - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:33

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:33
The ARB pressure switch, when fitted as mentioned above, cuts the compressor out at around 100 psi. Providing you have a reasonable size tank, it will operate air tools for a short period until the pressure drops down. Similarly, when pumping up your tyres, it will initially fill most of the first tyre quite quickly but then you will find yourself simply relying on the compressor to finish the job. Having said all that, I do have a small tank on mine and have used it to clean out my carby with an air nozzle. Suggest you fit a valve between the compressor and tank so you can isolate the tank if required.

AnswerID: 69889

Follow Up By: N.T. Home - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:58

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:58
Thanks for the info Gerry, you cleared up a couple of points for me. See you on the red stuff.

FollowupID: 330136

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:44

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:44
I have a similar set as the above, only diff is i use a refillable fire extinguisher as my air tank with my ARB compressor, (tool box type) works well it will run a rattle gun for about two wheel nuts, so unless your in a hurry it's fine.

AnswerID: 69892

Follow Up By: N.T. Home - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:02

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:02
G'Day Bazza,

Mate is there anywhere I can see a photo of your truck with the tank up close?

FollowupID: 330137

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:03

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:03
Talkin to a mate from ARB, he says that the ARB 'will do it - just' with an air tank... But depending on the volume of the tank, would take ages to fill, and probably not for rattle guns etc.

Depends on the tank and tire size - as to tires, you will blow up 1-2 tires with the tank, then be back to the compressor, so is it worth the effort?
AnswerID: 69896

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 16:43
I have an ARB compressor for the air lockers. I have a 5 Ltr Tank under the truck and a portable 20ltr tank I plug in on trips. (Either mounting on the trailer or in the back. The 5 Ltr takes about 2 mins to fill the 20 ltr takes about 10 mins. All works fine for me. System only runs at about 80PSI so I plan to discuss this with ARB. Could be a faulty cut-off switch.

AnswerID: 69906

Follow Up By: N.T. Home - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:10

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:10
G'Day Gary, is there anywhere I can see a photo of your setup? Sounds like a really good idea to have the two tanks.

FollowupID: 330138

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:48

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:48
I'll try to organise some pics.

FollowupID: 330221

Reply By: GRAEME - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:00
If you want a tank to run air tools etc then get an air conditioner compressor.
I have one and wouldn't go without it once you've used it. Under 2 mins to pump up tyres from 0 to 40psi and undo's 3 nuts before starting and shuts off before you can get the wheel back on, it's great. :)
AnswerID: 69922

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 19:38

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 19:38
What sort of vehicle do you ave it on?

I have mates with this setup but they have older vehicles and have mounted the compressor where the power steering or air conditioner pump would normally be.

Modern engine bays are pretty tight. But I agree these things are fantastic and cheap too.

FollowupID: 330153

Follow Up By: GRAEME - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:31

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:31
This is on a 2.8d hilux with an intercooled turbo so there wasn't much room under the bonnet. I ended up puting it under the power steering pump and the belt now goes around the crank, power steering pump then the compressor. The tank (about 6 litres I think) is mounted on the gearbox crossmember. I used an ARB cutout switch so it's the right pressure for my diff locks. All up it cost about $300 with fittings etc.
FollowupID: 330166

Reply By: member-skippyking - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 19:11
NT Home,

do you have a steel bullbar? I've seen a section of a bar welded up to form a 'tank' with a relief valve set in it and clip on air hose connections. This setup was using an air-con compressor but held at least 25-30 litres of air. I don't know what the relief valve was set to go off at but it seemed fairly high. At a guess, 150-200psi. But as you have an ARB comp then you would get a relief valve for 90-100 if thats what ARB say their comp will pump to. Welding up a section properly shouldn't be too expensive if you know how to weld or have a mate who does.

AnswerID: 69934

Reply By: pjd - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:52

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:52
you can by a small compressor from big w stores [vic] its about the size of your avarage fire ext & 240 volt for noly $88 on special all you need to do pull the motor off it all ready has the pressure switch & gauge & the legs turn into mounting brackets & they work a treat if you drive a defender it mounts nicely on the chassis rail but i would get a better comp than an arb one there great 4 diff locks but slow for most other uses

hope this is of some use
AnswerID: 69957

Reply By: Banjo - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:08
Don't know how successful searching posts is here but there are quite a few contributions archived on this subject....just in case.....I have the ARB in the engine bay ... came with a cutout and harness....runs from a nice rocker switch on the console....always drops out around 100psi......I made a 5L tank from HP PVC pipe....put it in the bullbar area...plumbed with pressure hose.....extends the "blow" you get when blowing down items etc for maintenance....even sprayed the camper trailer with it harnesed to a spray gun...BUT as others have can't expect much....its only a little pump and the bigger the tank the longer the run. I really don't think people should get too caught up on carrying 100psi air systems around with them 'just in case' - there is no need in my view - just run up some air when you need it....while you are topping up the tyres for the highway, SWMBO can make a cuppa and the kids are poking around stretching their legs....its called relaxing while on holiday ! (sorry re any presumption on my part re family, but you know what I mean).
AnswerID: 69965

Reply By: flashnick - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 23:07

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 23:07
I have an ARB compressor and a truck air tank (used for air brakes on trucks -most truck wreckers will happily be rid of them) mounted but seperate from compressor - its pointless blowing up tyres AND air tank at the same time. If need be I have an standard air line and an adaptor line I use to fill tank from compressor or garage or any other source. I use the air tank to get tyres back to a driveable pressure for bitumen after dropping pressure. Depending on pressure I get tank filled to - Tank will fill 2 tyres 32x11.50r15s from about 18 to 36 psi or put just enough in 4 to take out most of the bulge and top up with the ARB. The tank is invaluable when repairing tyres and needing lots of air fast but will only inflate 1 tyre from 0 to approx 23psi from flat.
I also use the compressed air for cleaning dusting inside of car, and any mechanical items. (all petrol engine owners should ALWAYS blow the dust and dirt from around spark plugs before changing them) and just about anything else I can think of. When I was younger I used to run a big air horn off an air tank I kept for similar purposes in my car (was a truckie at the time - not a hoon)

Most tanks like this are rated to 135- 150 psi most garages can supply similar pressure for a quick refill. I have a compact hose and air inflation,blowing and fitting kit approx $180 to set up properly if you can get all the fittings at the right price.

I just use standard air fittings on all my tanks and hoses. I am currently thinking about making an air line with a tyre valve (truck) in it so I dont have to take garages air line out of their system and plug mine in but havn't got around to solving a couple of simple problems.

AnswerID: 69988

Reply By: Anthony from Anglyn Promotions - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 23:49

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 23:49

On a different track, you can also use a scuba cylinder with your air hose adapted to fit into the BC filler line.

A scuba cylinder pressure goes up to 230bar, and would have enough air to fill more than 10 tyres plus your air mattresses etc. Costs $5 to refill. Cylinder costs about $200 and you can get a s/h regulator for about $50.

I have been using this method for more than 10yrs.


AnswerID: 69991

Sponsored Links