Wheely interesting recovery

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:00
ThreadID: 15063 Views:2018 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I thought this was interesting. I went playing again to where I went the other day. I wanted to see just how much wheel travel the Rodeo has so I attempted to drive a rutted section of track. I saw a stock looking 80 series have difficulty with this one so I thought it would be a good test.

I drove til I heard a thud and felt the rear right corner pop into the air as the gearbox crossmember hit the ground. I thought this was as good a time as any to get some suspension travel photos LOL.

After taking some pics I got back and and tried to reverse out. Uh oh. My Hi-Lift jack would have been handy but it was at home :-( So I got out and tried to put some wood under the front left wheel but that didn't help. Then I thought of all the stuff I had been reading lately about LSDs and diff locks and thought that if I could stop the rear right wheel from spinning then I could reverse out with the rear left wheel. So I put a piece of wood under the rear right wheel and then reversed out first go. Now there was no weight on this wheel as you could still rock the car easily but I assume that with this wheel no longer spinning enough power could be transferred to the other wheel to reverse out. Pic 3 shows the Rodeo after I reversed out but originally the tyre was barely touching the wood.

I could be wrong with my theory on why this worked but it did work and when your stuck thats what counts!

Pic 1 shows a Rodeos rear wheel travel
Pic 2 shows the Rodeo in its predicament
Pic 3 shows my stick idea

[ View Image]

[ View Image]

[ View Image]

Utemad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:10

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:10
Utemad

Just curious, but if you had put a bit of pressure on your brakes do you think it would be the same as using a piece of wood?????????

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 69912

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:26

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:26
I did read about that technique but I didn't remember to try it so I don't know. Although I also remember reading something about it not working. Perhaps the extra revs needed to overcome breaking pressure on the wheel with the weight also spins the wheel in the air which is what you are trying to prevent. Just thinking aloud hear as I don't really know.

Hopefully I will remember to try it next time and then I can answer your question. As there WILL be a next time LOL.

Utemad
FollowupID: 330133

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:27
I would have thought that applying the handbrake would be a better bet since it only works on the rear wheels. Applying the foot brake, which applies more braking to the front wheels, would probably be counter productive since you'd be hindering the front wheels from helping to drive you out. Just my 2 cents worth.
FollowupID: 330261

Follow Up By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 16:16

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 16:16
Thanks Moose.

I'll try the hand brake next time too.

Utemad
FollowupID: 330280

Reply By: ChrisB - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 17:29
In that situation you could of also lightly braked with your left foot, putting some resistance to the wheel in the air thus transfering some drive to the wheel on the ground. This is how some traction control systems use the ABS system but in a reverse sort of way, i.e. braking the spinning wheel not the locked wheel.

AnswerID: 69918

Follow Up By: Savvas - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 17:20

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 17:20
That's how the Adventra's CrossTrac system is supposed to work.

It has open diffs front and rear and uses the brakes to stop spin and redirect the drive to the wheel with traction.

Great in theory, but it needs to get some maturity and robustness around it. Too much dependence on electronics.
FollowupID: 330289

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 22:16

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 22:16
Utemad

Top stuff!

Because you understood how things work, you stopped and used your noggin rather than rushing in at full tilt and stuffing things up.

It's amazing what you can acheive sometimes by stopping and having a bit of a think about what you need to do and how you can arrange it.

10/10

Cheers
Stephen J
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 69981

Follow Up By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:41

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:41
Oooooooooh thanks.....if my head gets any bigger I'll have to buy a new hat LOL.

Utemad
FollowupID: 330230

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 22:47

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 22:47
Utemad,

Good stuff! Just goes to show how a bit of calm ingenuity is probably the most effective recovery tool you can have.
AnswerID: 69985

Reply By: rock hoper - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:46
if you would like to see a better recovery pic
e-mail tuff4by@dodo.com.au
AnswerID: 70086

Sponsored Links