Success with Cobb Cooker

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:13
ThreadID: 15087 Views:3410 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just a follow up to several post about peoples' experience with the Cobb.
I reported that I had had some success cooking a leg of lamb last Friday.
Well number 2 son (adult) fancies himself as a bit of a chef and decided I needed to be shown how to cook on the Cobb.
Turned up last night with Chicken Florentine from Leonard's and proceeded to get dinner ready.
Used 8 beads, preheated the Cobb with a full moat of water, oiled the chicken with spray-on olive oil and placed it on the standard Cobb plate. Turned it after about 30 mins and again after another 30 mins. Inserted the BBQ thermometer through one of the holes in the lid and monitored the roast temperature until it was done.
Took about 1 hr 30 mins to 1 hr 45 mins and I have to admit it was a bit of alright tucker.
My conclusions so far:-
Only use quality heat beads.
Turn the roast regulary.
Start with small meals before trying to cook for the multitude.
Start with boned or "easy carve" roasts.
Be patient and only take the lid off to turn the roast.
If adding extra water to the moat only use hot water and be very carefull not to splash any of the water onto the heat beads.
Using a BBQ thermometer minimises the times you need to take the lid off to check progress and ensures the roast is cooked to your particular liking.
Have another glass of wine while the roast sits and then go for it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 14:36

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 14:36
Hi Rosscoe

Sounds great, don't have a cob just a camp oven (which works for me)......but the wine sounds even better.
Happy cooking.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 70059

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 15:20

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 15:20
Think Ill stick to the camp oven........
AnswerID: 70065

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 15:27

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 15:27
You're probably right except the Cobb is good when you're not able to have a fire and it's pretty easy to clean store and carry.
Now if I trade my 4by in on a semi trailer I may be able carry all the stuff I think I may need!!!!!
FollowupID: 330274

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 15:39

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 15:39
Well my oven also makes a frypan with the lid, and I have a billy which fits in a billy which fits in the camp oven, so along with the welding glove in there, and the toaster/grille fits in the lid, so its the camp kitchen in one, and heat beads work with any implement that work with heat to cook as well ;-)

And nothing beats a layer of tin foil in the camp oven, which you remove after cooking, and makes cleaning very easy.
FollowupID: 330276

Follow Up By: captnsnooze - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 16:11

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 16:11
I have used a camp oven for many years and still do but I have to say that there is absolutely no comparison between a cobb (which I have had now for two camping seasons) and a camp oven when it comes to flexibility, roasts, bacon and eggs and so on goes the list. I will never give up my camp oven but its uses have become limited since the cobb arrived.
FollowupID: 330279

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:22

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:22
Guess thats why I like my camp oven, as its frypan, camp oven, pot, etc all in one.
FollowupID: 330301

Reply By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 16:56

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 16:56
Rosscoe
Instead of adding water to the moat try a can of beer or a good sluuuuurrrrrp of red wine, all my culinary dishes (except for when SWMBO is cooking a cake or bread, but then they are usually done after the main meal is cooked), include one or both either for the Cobb and for me.
Cheers
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 70069

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:23

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:23
Yea Michael,
Got burnt lips drinking the dregs though!
On a more serous note is it normal for there to be a lot of water in the plastic part under the cooking vessel?

Regards,

Rosscoe

PS using SWMBO's login again
FollowupID: 330302

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:42

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:42
Rosscoe they say to expect some, especially if yournot real careful about overfilling the moat. I think they say to use 250ml and a can of beer is 375ml so you wouldnt want to use the lot, lol. I think thats an easy problem fixed. I have noticed in the vicinity of say 2 tablespoons of condensation (water) drop on the perimeter of the Cobb. That was putting the cup in to start and filling it a bit more when turning the roast.

I dont think its a matter of which is the best a camp oven or a Cobb but which works with the most versatility for the individual camper and their choices of food etc. Most of us like what we are most familiar with so its good to see a response from someone with experience of both.

The Cobb caught my eye for a few reasons, but mainly:

1. Very little fuel to cook a three course meal and when wood
or fireplaces not allowed it should be safe to use.

2. One container cooking the whole meal.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 330306

Reply By: Member - Michael- Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 15:27

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 15:27
Rosscoe
I find sometimes that there is a small amount of condensation in the plastic base after use, but that is probalbly because I was too liberal when adding the liquid. Carolyn forgot to mention another thing in favour of the Cobb is that if you are camping once you are past the initial start up stage you can cook in the tent, which on cold nights could act as a bonus heater.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 70219

Follow Up By: Harry - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 20:27

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 20:27
Hey Go -Offroad, re the Cobb debate, if you haven't used 1 then your talkin a load of crap.
My camp-oven weighs in at 19kg ,the cobb is 4.8 kg, and you sure can use heat beads with your camp oven, but matey you will need about 22 compared to 8 with the Cobb, been there done that.
Try keeping your fire going in the rain, Cobb don't stop for nothing pal.
H has spoken.
FollowupID: 330678

Sponsored Links