Don't ignore me ;-)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 19:49
ThreadID: 15098 Views:1774 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, not the greatest of headings but I couldn,t resist.

My story is as follows.

After reading the post 15063 I tried a few thing with my 4WD in relation to LSD.
I wanted to find out if my LSD is Stuffed or not.

For those of you concerned about safety do not read on.

I jacked up one side of the back diff of the 4WD with a trolley jack. Put the car in first gear and tried to drive off. I went nowhere fast. So I thought I would try hitting the brakes to slow down the tyre and see if that would work. Nope no luck there either.
Now for the handbrake, Salvation at last. The car was trying to drive off on only the one back wheel. I could not believe it. Now obviously I didn't(Aandy?) try to push my luck so as soon as I felt the car wanting to move I stopped and took it off the trolley jack.
Now I would like to know if this is common knowledge or just a stupid way of testing my LSD.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: banjodog - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 20:17

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 20:17
Some manufactures of LSD recommend using a torque wrench set to the required foot lbs or now Nm on one wheel / axle flange with the other wheel held stationary - this is to check the break-away setting of the clutch packs in the diff.
AnswerID: 70100

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 20:46

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 20:46
"Please children, do not try this at home unless you are supervised by a responsible adult."
AnswerID: 70109

Reply By: Rokkitt - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 22:43

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 22:43
Hi,

Haven't tested mine due to the damage that could result, but waiting for a suitable day with a cans to help with the nerves.
Just one question why would it work with handbrake engaged and not the foot pedal? shouldn't they operate equally?

Rod
AnswerID: 70146

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:54

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:54
I'm guessing its because the foot brake locks the front wheel too so creating even more resistance. Handbrake only locks the rear. *waiting for expert response*

Gaz
FollowupID: 330361

Reply By: Magnus - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 15:33

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 15:33
Sparkie,

Found this in a Google Search

The HMMVV, or Hummer, uses Torsen® differentials on the front and rear axles. The owner's manual for the Hummer proposes a novel solution to the problem of one wheel coming off the ground: Apply the brakes. By applying the brakes, torque is applied to the wheel that is in the air, and then five times that torque can go to the wheel with good traction.

Is this what happened with the handbrake?? This was in a site How Things Work or sometheing like that.

Cheers

Magnus
AnswerID: 70220

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:20

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:20
I tried with the brakes but it didn't seem to work. I assume it was because the front brakes were applied as well as the back brakes.
I tried it tonight with my brothers GQ patrol and his did the same thing except his LSD cut in by just putting it in first gear.
not enough to move it but substansial(spelling?). When applying the handbrake it really wanted to move.
Now I am not saying it is the correct way of doing things but it seems to me that if you are stuck wit one front and one back wheel in the air you have an option of engaging your LSD to help you get out of trouble.
What I need to know is if this is common knowledge ???????

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 70254

Sponsored Links