Grandtrek tyres

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 151 Views:3222 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we are travelling down Birdsville Track and Oodnatta Track with Prado with Dunlop Grandtrek tyres.Any information on their durability. Any recommendations.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Greg. I am an experienced off roader and you will find that everyone will have a different opinion on tyres. My experience is not too use wide tyres, dont over or underinflate. The two biggest problems for tyres are that people travel much too fast particularly on gravel roads and they overload their vehicle. The Grandtreks should be fine, as will most of the other well known brands. These days the Birdsville and Oodnadatta tracks are super highways compared to some roads.
AnswerID: 288

Reply By: Joe McDermott - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00
Greg,

As the previous reply stated, you should be OK with the Grandtreks. I ran my Yokohama Super Diggers over similar country without any sort of problem at all.
However - fitting something tougher will give you a greater margin of safety. I have fitted Bridgestone Duellers (D693) and found them to be pretty much perfect for this type of work.
Again though, echoing the previous reply, just dont over inflate tyres, but perticularly the Grandtreks which have a reputation for suffering impact fractures under those conditions.
Take it easy and enjoy the drive !

Joe
AnswerID: 292

Follow Up By: Nicholas - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2001 at 00:00
I have just returned from the Victorian High Country in a 100 Series Landcruiser shod with (new) Grandtreks. I was not impressed at all. I had two puctures from stones that youd hardly notice if you stood on them. Id Carry a Safety-Seal kit (about $90) to be on the safe side.
FollowupID: 64

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Greg. We took our Pajero & trailer up the Birdsville and down the Strezleki tracks last year. We use BFG All terrains as they have an extra ply in the sidewalls. Remember the road can be very rough and stoney in places so dont over inflate but dont underinflate either. Also watch the speed as this causes most damage. Just take it easy, carry 2 spares and a puncture kit, and enjoy yourself. Peter
FollowupID: 73

Reply By: Chris Winsall - Monday, May 07, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, May 07, 2001 at 00:00
Greg
Dont be too concerned about any of the good name tyres. I have been there on 16" Kelly safari AWRs concidered a fairly soft tyre, but to pass on some words of advice from the man at Oodnadatta, Adam Plate, run them at 20-22psi front and 25 rear. Use Highrange 4wd. I have only ever suffered minor nicks in the tread, the low pressure allows the tyre to roll over the gibber and not punch through. Give him a ring at the Pink Roadhouse, he will gladly answer your queries.
Good touring, Cheers
Chris.
AnswerID: 437

Reply By: Greg - Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00
We have just returned from the Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks and other places covering over 7,500ks, mostly off road.The tyres were excellent, only 1 puncture .Drove mostly at 85-90kph towing a caravan we believe the only reason for puncture was driving at 100kph in last section of Oodnadatta Track
AnswerID: 474

Reply By: Dick Adams - Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00
Greg.. I have travelled both roads in an 80 series Landcruiser, using Grandtrek tyres. Following advice from Adam Plate at The Pink Roadhouse, I let my tyres down 10% on the normal manufacturers recommendations - with no problems at all. I have fitted the same tyres to my off road trailer and have never had a problem.
AnswerID: 500

Sponsored Links