suspension upgrade 100 series turbo diesel

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1511 Views:2019 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Our 100 series Turbo Diesel L/C has been dragging its rear a bit when fully loaded with fridge and all the other gear that we need to carry. As the IFS limits suspension changes up front, I was wanting some advice on what we should do for a Cape York trip. I am considering poly-airs v's heavier coils on the rear. I was also wondering if the standard shockers should be replaced now or should I leave them until they are worn out. My husband wants to spend!!!!!!!!!! Is it worth It???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cashy - Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00
Jen, What K's are on the car and where are you based. Also what accessories have you got on the car. These things all effect the advise I can give you. It is possible to raise the 100TD even with the IFS. The rear end can be raised just about as high as you want. The front is a little more difficult but 2" is generally to hard to get. I would recommend if there is constantly a load in the car to go for the heavier coil springs. I would also recommend changing the schock before the cape as the corrigations are hard on them. There are of course many options for both shocks and springs if you are replacing them. I would recommend either Bistien or Rancho shocks and King Springs. As regarding the Toresion bar on the front It is possible to lift this or even replace it, but I am not sure if a replacement is avialable at the moment. If you can give some more details I may be able to give you more detailed advice. Hope this helps. Cashy

AnswerID: 4942

Follow Up By: Jen - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00
The car has only done 10000 k's and it will be carrying 2 adults, 3 kids, 60 litre Engel fridge, and all the gear that we need for camping. We are not really needing too much lift, just probably some for when the vehicle is fully loaded and the bum sits down a bit. Thought that the Polyairs might be a relatively cheap and adjustable alternative but not sure what they cost etc. Maybe some upgraded springs would be enough.
FollowupID: 2137

Reply By: Stephen - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Jen, the maximum payload of the 100 T/D is only about 500/600kg, which is very poor considering the size of the vehicle (the smaller Prado can carry 150kg more!). Find out the Gross Vehicle Mass from the handbook, load the Cruiser up and put it on a weighbridge - you may find the reason for the dragging rear!
AnswerID: 4952

Reply By: Member_Malcolm - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

I have had the ARB kit fitted. Only a moderate lift but stronger springs in the rear. I tow a Phoenix off road caravan (heavy!), and the combination is fantastic. The ride unladen is a little firmer but much more comfortable and controllable.
AnswerID: 4960

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

What everyone before has said is relevant, BUT, until the end of July 2002, Toyota are selling their genuine shock absorbers for $50.00 each! Sure they may not be a good as some of the "big name" shocks, but for less than a 1/3 of their price, they are very good value. I have Monroe Gas Magnums on my 100 RV and they are only so so, I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the originals that I replaced (after 100,000k's) so after I return from my trip next month I will trash them and return to the originals that I now "have in stock"! Hope that helps. Cheers.
AnswerID: 4965

Follow Up By: Jen - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

The Toyota shocks sound pretty good value but I was a bit dubious about their durability after hours on corrugations. If yours did 100000k's sounds like I should not worry. $50.00 sounds a bargain.
FollowupID: 2138

Reply By: Cashy - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Jen, With the info you gave I would recommend fitting heavier springs. The shocks will not give you any lift and with only 10,000k on them they should be good for at least another 50,000k. But with the load you are decriding I would recomend getting a properly built of road trailer as you are over loading the cruiser and thhat is when your shocks and springs will break on the corrigations. The Poly airs will only spread the load a little from the springs but will not help if you overload the car. I would replace the springs and carry the old ones as spares in case of trouble.

Regards

Cashy
AnswerID: 4975

Reply By: James - Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00
Dear Jen, I have a 100 Series TD purchased December 2000. It has 50 000 kms on the odo. I have done the Gibb River Road and the Gurig Pennisula with the original suspension. Back was a bit low especailly when towing an offroad trailer for the GRR. I recently had PolyAir Springs installed by ARB Darwin for about $450. I recently did the trip from Darwin to Perth via the Rock and the Great Central Road with the new Polyairs. 3 Adults, 2 children and gear (including 41 litre Engel). Excellent for levelling the vehicle. I have been very happy with them so far. Around the city I have virtually nothing in the back. I have done nothing to the front suspension even though I have a third battery and compressor up front. I am thinking about a complete suspension deck out now that I have hit 50 000 kms. I still probably won't go for the extra strong springs because I don't have much in the car when I am driving around town. I hope this helps. Good luck, James.
AnswerID: 5047

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
So you think that the Polyairs are very durable obviously. I thought that they might fail and end up having to do springs etc anyway. We have nothing in the back when we are in town which is 90% of the time in our 100series TD. The third battery obviously is for the fridge and we have a 60 litre Engel and are scared that we will leave it on and run down the batteries. Thanks for the advice. I am Jen's other half!
Andrew
FollowupID: 2160

Follow Up By: James - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
Most reports I have seen praise the durability and versatility of Polyairs. The other option is to scrap the 2 batteries and change to a cranking and a deep cycle battery. I thought that would be a waste of 2 good batteries when I got the car. I have not been able to find many people to get advice from regarding this vehicle. Good luck with your enquiries.
FollowupID: 2165

Sponsored Links