is it necessary???

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 17:46
ThreadID: 15122 Views:5413 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
have been quoted by arb for suspension upgrade with 4 new heavy duty coils, 50-60mm lift plus 4 nitro charger shocks at $1,250 dollars fitted, tjm have quoted $1,490 with xgs shocks, BUT, have also said i will most probably need to fit a castor correction kit, which they tell me they wont know until they have fitted the other stuff, at an additional cost of $625, plus a steering damper of $115, i am no suspension guru, but i know plenty of you guys are well versed in this area, do i need the extra quoted?? and why didn't arb tell me this?? need your advice, 2000 waiting to go bang patrol, and, i know what some of you are thinking, why waste the money when it's going to go bang, but at least it will go bang with better suspension to tow her home, thanks, Adrian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:53

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:53
Adrian,
Previous posts say caster correction should only be necessary for 100mm ++ lifts. Lots have 50mm with no problems. Roachie may be able to provide more detailed advice
Rolande
AnswerID: 70262

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 19:36

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 19:36
G'day Rolande and Adrian
I still haven't done anything about caster bushes on my truck as yet. It handles "okay" but could be better. The slight wallowing I seem to experience at speed could be either the bushes or just the Konis needing replacement/rebuilding (they've had an oily film on them for a couple of years).
I certainly don't think you'll need to go that far with a 50 to 60mm lift. Mine sits 75mm above standard both front and back, but the Lovells springs are actually 4" front and 5" rear.
IMHO the "packages" you are likely to get from ARB, TJM or Opposite Lock etc are all over-priced. You'd be better off buying springs from Lovells or Kings and then getting a set of good shockers. These would be Konis or Bilsteins etc. I also like the idea of the Tough Dog Ralphs and OME LTRs, but too exy for me at this stage.
Of course the "big" companies will tell you that you MUST buy matched springs and shocks from them otherwise your truck will be totally stuffed....but that's what their sales people get paid to say....don't be fooled into following their sales pitch.
Unfortunately, with suspension and a lot of other expensive stuff for 4x4s, you can't ask them to fit a set and let you have a drive for an hour; then go and get a different set fitted. So you're left with trying to work out for yourself what will be the best thing for your particular needs.
The only other thing I can say is "GOOD LUCK". :-)
FollowupID: 330477

Follow Up By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:45

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:45
thanks for that guys.
FollowupID: 330599

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 19:01

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 19:01
Adrian,

It is quite likely that you will have to do the castor/camber. As you lift the vehicle, you change the angle & it will pull, most likely to the left.

By way of illustration, I have not lifted my GU, just got HD springs & shocks. I have a 3/4 degree kit fitted in the LH side, and a 4-Way brand, return to center damper. Its OK now - the damper was the best bit. Use this brand as they have an external helper spring that the other brands do not.

If I could offer an opinion before you purchase?

try Alltrac, on South rd. It is likely they may not charge a fitting fee if you buy all the gear there, - they fitted RidePro shocks for me at 80,000 km service for nix - one hours work free. I am v happy with RidePro performance & price. I currently have TJM HD springs and am consifdering goinfg to a 2 " lift, with RidePro springs & camber/castor mods as necessary, all done by Alltrac.

I have no beef with TJM or Arb, BUT these Alltrac blokes leave them for dead with knowledge, cutomisation & expert fitting. Guess how I know.....yeah, the hard way. I now do not consider going anywhere else.

good luck
AnswerID: 70267

Follow Up By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:53

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:53
thanks rick, alltrac are near by, i'll give them a call.
FollowupID: 330601

Reply By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 20:10

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 20:10
Hi Adrian,
I had the exact same problem with ARB Dandenong. My wife and I live in central Vic so we are a fair way from most places. We rang Dandenong about our lift kit and were quoted what we considered to be a reasonable price, only to drive all the way down there (2 hours) and be told the same as you, that we then needed the castor correction kit, steering damper etc. I always intended fitting it myself anyway, so just bought the bits that were within our budget, and figured that if I needed to fit a castor correction kit I would do it at a later date. So far our vehicle has not needed it and remains fairly constant on road at all speeds. I'd be fairly dubious as to the price they quoted you, as if you look in the ARB book from memory the castor correction bush kit is only about $130, so $500 of labour just for that seems awfully high. To be absolutely honest with you I'm reallybleepoff with ARB and TJM as every time I've rung them for something on the car, I've only had to go down there to be told I needed something else. Two examples, I wanted to buy a winch and have a winch bar, only to be told when picking up the winch I'd need a winch carrier; another time I wanted a Kaymar rear work light, only to be told when I got down there that I then needed a special bracket for it to be fitted to the car. In short, don't listen to the sales pitch. Talk to those that have done it/got it.
Cheers
Nino
AnswerID: 70280

Reply By: brian - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 20:14

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 20:14
My gu has ome 50 mm lift no need for the extras at all but i found the new springs quickly "settled/sagged" so after a while you dont have 50 mm lift, maybe your supplier should guarentee 50 mm lift after say 6 months,wish i had thought of it at the time,after all original springs dont sag after 3 months to same degree.
AnswerID: 70282

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 23:01

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 23:01
50mm lift you need 4 shocks and 4 springs. Thats it.
AnswerID: 70339

Follow Up By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 13:00

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 13:00
thanks truckster, would you go medium or heavy on the springs, towing a camper, 120 ball weight, all up around 1000 kilo plus passengers and other stuff in rear of vehicle, but i don't want the vehicle bouncing around the place when unladen, your thoughts??
FollowupID: 330606

Reply By: gonebush - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 00:00
I put OME coils and nitrocharger shocks on the GU when it was brand new. The price quoted by ARB seems about right.

I had been told by a local ARB outlet that I would need castor bushes. The main ARB store in Perth (Osborne Park) said no way....not required. The lift ended up around 75mm rear and 50mm front after install and then settled. I have not required castor bushes but the steering damper ($100 ish?) was fitted with the suspension and has been very good.

I did not know what spring rating would be suitable so ARB said no problem, fitted medium rating and said if they aren't suitable, bring them back in a week and we'll put on another set at no extra charge. The mediums were not suitable and I ended up with the heavy rating.

I call that good service all round.

Larry

AnswerID: 70352

Reply By: jaaap - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 09:32

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 09:32
Adrian
Have 100 series. Replaced springs with King Springs. Consult their advisory service see free call number on their web

Went 50mm and measured free length of the original and new surprise the new springs are actually 10mm shorter than the original so i then used the original shocks until they die as the free length is less than orig.
When they die will look for other shocks

So far very happy and much cheaper than other aftermarket jobs

the truck now sits a little above original height but will take a decent load

Did the same excerise with an 80 series and had no trouble in 10 years of travelling

Jaap
AnswerID: 70380

Sponsored Links