Camping at Myall lakes

Submitted: Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 14:46
ThreadID: 15148 Views:6398 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

My wife and I are planning a trip up to the Myall lakes in mid to late september.
We have not been there before and are keen to find a good spot to camp.

What we would like to find, is a camp site right by the water, potected waterway, where we can setup our camper trailer and also be able to carry and launch our small dingy down in the water.

Have any of you spent much time up at Myall lakes, and if so, which camp site would best suit us. I dont think school holidays are on when we plan to go.

Thanks

Kelvin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:08

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:08
Kelvin,
Last January, during the school holidays (!) we took our KK to "Legges Camp" on the western foreshores at Bombah Point, just near the ferry.
Although it is primarily set up for cabins and caravans there is (was) an area where those who wanted to camp in tents (or camper trailers) could do so. However, I believe that (camping) area will shortly be allocated for caravans etc and the former caravan area will be built out with cabins. Progress to some people.

We found the camping area, while being shared with lots of other campers, acceptable in the school holidays (one of our group is a school teacher) and we went to bed with the flies and got up with the birds .........

There are hot showers in walking distance, potable water ditto, as also a shop etc.

Hope this helps.
Try http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWMyallLakes.shtml

DickyBeach
AnswerID: 70441

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 18:38

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 18:38
Ya didn't tell em about the fallin' trees!!!

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 330662

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 20:25

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 20:25
Yeah, that's right.
Bombah Point is on the western side of Myall Lakes and the camp is privately run.
On the eastern side the many available camping sites were closed by the NPWS a few years ago after a tree dropped some limbs on a tent, killing the sleeping couple inside. The NPWS, instead of removing other risky trees decided it was easier to just ban all camping. Apparently angophoras only drop limbs on public property and not on private property, or perhaps only trees on the eastern side drop limbs and trees on the western shore don't. Heavy sarcasm here.
I can't see what's wrong with the NPWS putting up a sign warning of the risk and letting people then take responsibility for their own decisions & actions.
AnswerID: 70481

Reply By: waveslave - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:12

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:12
Hey there,

We camped at Myall Lakes last year.There are a few campsites now, that are allocated right on the water. They have cleared a few trees away. Watch the Goannas though. And the psycho possums. They attacked my GF, and when I went to kcik it, it Goose stepped me Campese style and came foward for another Go!!!

It's beautiful there, and good Bream in the lakes too. You can also camp on the other side, where there are no allocated spots, at the bottom of the sand dunes. Not such a nice beach for swimming though, or surfing for that matter.
AnswerID: 70585

Sponsored Links