The Mighty Cobb

Submitted: Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 20:58
ThreadID: 15158 Views:2567 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all you bush chefs,
for those that are familiar to the Cobb you will know what I'm talking about. For those humble beings still cookin in the camp oven, I know you cannot beat the seasoned flavour you get out your camp oven, but never the less the cobb has certain advantages over the very much loved camp oven.I still use mine as well.
Up-side:
#1 Weighs in at 4.8 kg, cast iron, mine is 19 kg (Hardings foundry ballarat)
#2 When it bluddy well rains it's hard to do your roast or any cookin with the cast iron, the Cobb goes in the tent annex and just keeps on cookin.
#3 You can use an awful lot of wood to keep the cast iron going.8 heat beads for the Cobb (buy only the best ones)
#4 Very difficult to burn your tucker, slow and easy does the trick, mum
#5 SAFE with kids around, not hot to touch, you can actually sit it on your lap whilst cookin.
#6 Can be used as a heater in tent or van SO long as ventilation is provided otherwise produces carbon-dioxide which is not good for healthy living.
And probaly other advantages I haven't mentioned as well.
Downside :
#1 You have to carry your fuel with you.
#2 It doesn't cook as hot as camp oven, others might beg to differ on that 1.( it will if you use more beads)
The Cobb is just another way of cooking your tucker, so get on with it and don't burn the potatoes mum.
Ave a great "Aussee" day
Harry

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 22:06

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 22:06
Hi Harry

This is one humble being that doesn't mind.
I love my camp oven.
I usually cook when it doesn't look like rain.
I actually cooked a roast with all the trimmings in it while we put up the tent at Chilli Beach 2 years ago.
Anyone who has been there will know what I am on about, it rained and blew the whole time.
We had a great meal after we finished setting up and thoroughly enjoyed it too.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 70511

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:26

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:26
Yeah me too, but i have a new and improved camp oven steel not cast a Hillbilly with the gas option and heatbeads so we can cook inside.

Baz.
FollowupID: 330783

Follow Up By: Harry - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:50

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:50
Hi Tripp'n,
good on ya, I'll bet they did enjoy that one, but gee you must have a big tent, cause it usually takes a couple of hours to do a roast.
LOL. :>)
Have you tried a Bedourie, they are very versatile too, and not near as heavy to lug around.
Keepin in touch
Ave a great day
FollowupID: 330807

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:20

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:20
Hi Baz and Harry

Hahaha........nah just your usual family size tent.......not a dome one either.
But with the wind and rain it took longer than usual to do things.
Was grateful that tea was cooking while we were getting the camp ready.
I never cook on the coals and if I do I use very little anyway as the ground/sand is usually hot enough, most of the coals are for around the base or on top.
We have a little gadget that hooks in and lifts the lid full of coals without dropping coals or ash in the camp oven when it is opened, you probably have one or seen them.
We have checked the Bedourie out and the Camp Oven Mates too.
They maybe be the go for the desert trips we have planed but haven't decided on if we will get one yet.
Thanks for letting us know though.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)

FollowupID: 330828

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 22:49

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 22:49
My camp oven is spun steel, so very light, and will work with heat beads, and when hung over the fire, instead of burying the thing with coals on the lid [LOL, why would you, cant check it, and makes a mess, and need coals, instead of fire]

Takes 1.5hr to do a 2kg roast, chuck in the vegies after an hour, and let them for half an hour, with a 10 minute coals on the lid while hanging over the fire to crisp/brown them. [only need 1/2 a shovel full once, and tip them off back into fire when done.]

I put all the vegies in a plastic bag to coat with oil, before adding them too.

And if you put tin foil in the oven, pull it out when cooked, still nice and clean.
AnswerID: 70515

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 23:12

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 23:12
Don't forget mate, while the meat is cooking, add 1/2 a cup of
water to the camp oven, and lower the oven over the fire so you can
hear the water bubbling, but not working to hard, to judge the heat.
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 330710

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 23:14

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 23:14
Good to see you were paying attention Ivan 8-)
FollowupID: 330711

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:56

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:56
Ivan,

I've tried the add water method and I got a stewed roast. I roast as you would normally and judge the heat by listening for a gentle sizzle coming from the oven. I start by putting a good lump of butter in the oven to ensure it isn't dry, also use this to baste the vegies. When it's all cooked, whip it out and add water with disolved flour/gravox to the juices. Boil to thicken whist slicing the meat, best gravy you'll ever eat. Also helps clean the oven. Once you serve the gravy, pour water into the oven and put it on the fire whilst you eat. Oven virtually cleans itself.

Jim.
FollowupID: 330745

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:37

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:37
mmmmmmmm, to much water maybe.... ;-)
FollowupID: 330750

Follow Up By: Harry - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:46

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:46
That's ok Off-Road, we'll forgive for owning a Bedourie oven.
They cook well too, I use mine inside the Cobb, but they are'nt so forgiving if you don't take care, your tucker can get the burnees matey.
You sound like you've been doin it awhile , so you are probaly keepin an eye on the temp.
Try somebodies Cobb for a cookin session, it works well, and as I said it's another innovation to what we love doin, eatin good tucker in the bush.
FollowupID: 330806

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 23:52

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 23:52
Sorry Harry, if you had used a bedourie, you would know its very hard to hang a oven by 2 hooks over the fire, unless you can balance one very well when it has the roast and vegies in it ;-)

Hillbilly for me, with afew mods, they make a great all round item.
FollowupID: 330874

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:39

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:39
Now, I have read and heard of only using the best heat beads.

So....... what ARE the best beads?

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 70545

Follow Up By: Harry - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:09

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:09
Hi Wolfie,
Somebody has replied to your query, and they are spot on.
Just be aware budding Cobbees, the self starting heat beads seem to lose there starting ability after a while if you store them.
Another way of getting things happening very quickly is to place your heat beads in the wire container and then using a pair of plyers or similar tool, place them in the fire for about 3-5 mins, really gets them going quickly.
For the camp oven users, you too can use the heat beads.
This is how I got hooked on them thar heat beads.
Cut the bottom off a diused 20litre drum, about 100mm will do, get hold of some chicken wire or similar and make a small basket, about 150-200mm square To put your heat beads in.
Place a couple of long tent pegs on top to hold your oven above the heat.File some grooves in the edges to stop them rolling.
I started with 22 heat-beads to do a roast and then scones for afters.
They will burn 4-5 hrs.Probaly use a lot less if cookin with a Bedourie.
Now you might understand why I use the Cobb, with only 8 to do a roast.
FollowupID: 330822

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:23

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:23
Goodness Wolfie and your so young and bright and you dont know the answer to this!!!!!!

"The ones that cost the most"

Carolyn

PS: Cause your young and still learnin' HEAT BEADS® are the ones recommended by COBB and thats the brand name and they come in black and orange and Coles sells them.
AnswerID: 70557

Reply By: grandpa - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 15:11

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 15:11
You can also get HEATBEADS Easy Lites"
no more fire lighters, just light and away you go.
Excellent for the COB and the Weber.
By the way my half a "NINER" also works well. ( you have to drink it first)

Cheers
AnswerID: 70594

Reply By: Nomad - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:05

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:05
Harry, take you point mate, BUT!!!!!!!!!!

When we camp, either alone or with mates, we always put up a kitchen annexe. This only a big tarp strung up reasonably high. Underneath that you can have a very good cooking fire. Don't forget a cooking fire is not a camp fire.

Sure we only use an old tarp for the kitchen so if you get an occasional spark it doesn't matter. Never had a problem. And Mate, the grub is fantastic.
AnswerID: 70673

Follow Up By: Harry - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 20:52

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 20:52
No worries Nomad , your obviously a switched on ex-perienced camper,
your point taken too :>)
FollowupID: 331016

Sponsored Links