3.0ltr or 4.2ltr

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:11
ThreadID: 15207 Views:2774 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
hi all thinking of buying a gu dx patrol wagon around the 98 2000 year
as this will be my first 4x4 im am not sure of which donk to get i am leaning towards the 4.2 i will be towing a 4 mtr tinnie behind it and not much more.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Algee (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:34

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:34
Be very careful. The 3lt is great but you do not want a series one engine. There is a knonw problem and they have a tendancy to die in a major way. Just make sure it has a series 2 engine
AnswerID: 70805

Reply By: Nomad - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:36

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:36
I get lost all the time. LOL

The 4.2 is really indestructable. Good for towing but is old tech.

I've got a 2000 3lt and tow a camper trailer and all the junk you need when you have two billy lids to take with you. I have grossed near 4 tonnes at times and the truck has performed faultlesly.

Keep in mind that the early 3lt, like the 2000 GU11 has had a lot of bad publicity about the reliability of the motor. A number of them have sh*t themselves. Nissan have honoured their warranty even after it has expired. Sure sometimes you've got to stand on your digs a bit to get satisfaction. However I think that is pretty general with all motor companies. Some dealers aren't helpful either.

Hard decision mate but I would go 3lt again. I am very happy with it.
AnswerID: 70806

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 22:11

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 22:11
TROLL!!!
AnswerID: 70816

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 00:18

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 00:18
The arguments above are all sound. I've got a 4.2 and I was, at first, dissapointed with the fuel consumption but I now know a couple of guys who have had probs with the 3.0l. Not all major and they have had good service from the dealers. I traded to a newer car because the old girl was starting to let me down. This happened only twice. Once in Louth and once at Lake Eyre.

For me reliability is what it is all about. Because I go to remote places and occasionally on single car trips I'd go the 4.2l again. If your just playing close to home and in company with others then I think the 3.0l would be the go.

Mate at work has 3.0l gets 1100k from a tank I get 750 - 800k from the same tank.

Now that has probably confused you more

Duncs.
AnswerID: 70825

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:09

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:09
I have the 4.2 DX with Turbo and can get 1000k easy on the road, work it a bit harder in the bush and you get between 8 - 900 for both tanks.

A lot better low down grunt than the 3.0l and will pull the skin of a custard.
FollowupID: 331070

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 13:14

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 13:14
I leave home just after tea regularly in 3.0 or 4.2 with same trailer on towbar, & either Commodore Statesman or Subaru on back, to be in Mobil Southbrook just short of Toowoomba for breakfast/shower/shave.
In a 4.2 I have nearly used both tanks by Dubbo & not game enough to try for Gilgandra the half way to Bris, & fill again @ Border.
In 3.0 with same load my first stop is border for $100 of fuel, which is nearly double or half whichever way you look @ it, but I believe that is also due to powerband between the 2 @ PASSING SPEEDS, the 3.0 always has enough, the 4.2 I am off & on trying to get aroud trucks on hills , no grunt in 5 , go back to 4 & a bit past its power range, I read here a lot better low down grunt for 4.2 maybe in 4wding, but not in passing power towing our loaded trailer trying to pass a couple of overnight B Doubles travelling together when they are doing 102 k flat & not wanting to let you past
FollowupID: 331120

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 06:37

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 06:37
Something else to be mindful of, in NSW the police use the DX 3L TD patrol for a number of roles. Being police vehicles they can be driven very hard when they are cold. Check the logbooks for prior owners to see where there from or you will notice ex-police cars have sliding windows in the cargo area.
Tim
AnswerID: 70830

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 13:02

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 13:02
& can be better serviced than MOST private owners ,
& as they are a diesel turbo truck are definitely not used in pursuit etc & usually based in towns where it is " country laid back lifestyle " no hard use & usually a guy in them who is not far off retirement, we have had many & I find their " pack " which is NOT AVAILABLE to you or I through Nissan SUITS most buyers as the buyer then can afford to get into a Series 3 so much better car than spending the same money on older out of factory warrant higher mileage car he is comparing it to elsewhere, we are all entitled to our opinion on a Forum, but for the sake of possibly uninformed reader show both sides
FollowupID: 331117

Follow Up By: Tim - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:11

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:11
Lets look at facts,
The nissan patrol is a category 4 pursuit vehicle, they are to be used for pursuits only when nothing else is available which more commonly occurs in rural areas.
They are authorised for urgent duty work at the same level as rodeos and tritons.
They are mostly used by general duties officers which are very rarely just off retirement.

The DX model built the same year with the same k's will be a lot cheaper then the ST model.
The vehicles are serviced regularly by dealers and checks are carried out regularly also.

Now IMHO a lot of the vehicles are driven hard from cold as in my original post. While there is no guarantee any particular vehicle has not been driven like this, you could guarantee a police vehicle has.
I have driven a few of these and they have not missed a beat however you hear reports from others and just shake your head.
Tim
FollowupID: 331157

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:37

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:37
To Tim,
what do they do have races between rodeo triton & patrol !
To be serious though,
you answered " my thoughts " of your comment yourself & I will replay your answer to you
" I have driven a few of these & they have not missed a beat, however you hear from others & shake head "
there is a lot of difference between theory & practice, or reading & doing
& IN THE REAL WORLD
We find them no problem ,
& " IF " they ever were a buyer the size of their fleet no doubt gets preferential treatment from ANY manufacturer compared to you or I, & if you thought about it by the time they are sold any previous problem would have been fixed by manufacturer begging to keep the supply contract & thus where you or I get a gear replaced in a transmission for example they would get complete changeover new box, which in turn makes them a better buy than many secondhand 4wds, you say been used fast when cold on your thoughts or heresay, I as a regular buyer & in MANY regularly think as they do miles quicker than most, engines are not getting as many cold starts & being used warmer longer & I find all police 3 litres " quieter " than any other Govt vehicle of identical diesel specification. In regards to service how many buyers of 4wd diesels do you know who service @ every 5000k , not many, same as not many ever been used as 4wd.
FollowupID: 331168

Follow Up By: Tim - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 17:17

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 17:17
W
I have posted facts and I have posted my opinion and they are clearly marked with each.
We are both entitled to have differant opinions, I have simply stated that I think caution needs to be taken when looking at these vehicles.
I don't doubt that you sell most with no problems at all.
Can we leave it at that?
Tim
FollowupID: 331177

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:12

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:12
Tim, well said, no problem to me, I just think everyone needs to be mindful of heresay rather than actual facts, but both sides of heresay need to be aired particularly on a forum & lets face it thats what a forum is about , & no matter what you I or 1000 others say the guy spending HIS $$ is the one that has to be happy, not you or I in a " last man standing shootout " & as I said in reply here earlier today, ENJOY whatever they buy regardless.
FollowupID: 331183

Reply By: Billy - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:28

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:28
I notice you are looking '98 to '00. The 3.0 only came out in '00 and the early are the problem. IMHO you would only want a 4.2 in that model year unless the donk has already been replaced. Also 3.0 is the only one in Auto if that is a factor for you.
AnswerID: 70831

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:47

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:47
I as an unbiased non franchised motor dealer who lives out the bush & makes my living selling 4wds to public with the same worry that you are having today ( & to whoever/wherever I read on post on here last week blasting car dealers, & how they make $7000 per car, bring yourself & your accountant & the tax commissioner to our business any day & you will be in for a rude awakening, & re auctions never think those cars are " ready to USE " & If you are on " here " looking for info that alone in itself could be a worrying factor for you in an auction situation , but never forget the cars that go to auction this week have usually been passed over by regular buyer dealers chance a week earlier before you the public got a chance your $ you decide )
I look on here regularly & as someone who travels 4-5000k per week in Ex Govt 4wds every week regularly doing sales & deliveries from Warrnambool to Weipa, the amount of negative feedback people can read here amazes me.
Everyone who rings my number about to retire & live the dream & tow their van " always has to have 4.2 " & I say to all, come with me for a trip this week in a 3 litre with loaded car trailer on back while we do a delivery to Toowoomba or Gympie overnight & come next week on same trip in 4.2 with similar load &you will not need to ask me the question you will know yourself.
Here are my own personal views
Remember a 4wd is always a compromise we want it to be a car & a truck
Yes 3.0 early series were drama, later with bigger sump been no drama to us ever.
In Aust big distances but SMALL world market for manufacturer they also needed to COMPROMISE
80 Ser Cruiser Turbo Multivalve everyone loved & had to have one.
Toyota dropped Turb 80 Nissan jumped the market & the size now suits more households wives than the 100 Series Toyota
Nissan to counteract 80 series turbo bang turbo on old style motor still fuel guzzler still no power to pass a B Double truck when I am doing 100k tonight loaded on way to an interstate delivery.
Yes I have done a gearbox in Gu 2002 4.2 & off road & market 3 weeks waiting on Nissan fix but box not replaced ONLY the one gear.
3.0 Diesel Injected latest technology economical & powerful SUITS world market so Australia gets also, remember If you think Diesel tonight in Dubbo or Coonabarrabran @ $1.07- $1.12 is expensive, think about prices in Lebanon & forget 4.2 Motor.
The 3.0 Litre is good around town great on highway & towing @ legal limit ( or over ? ) nightly I get 7 km/litre out of usually auto (IF WE HAVE ONE in stock the night I am going) towing tandem with Commodore or Stateman or Subaru on the back.
I fill both tanks @ home $100 in @ Goondiwindi all niter & still plenty showing on guage @ sale venue in Brisbane.
They will pass any truck anywhere & regularly hear on Ch 40 " that thing with trailer on back has plenty of grunt. "
Re Auto & Manual in 3.0 Turbo DI Motor in Nissan I find the auto is more user friendly & suited to the power band in the rev range in Diesel Turbo.
To all you first time buyers of 4 wds remember trucks use diesel cars use petrol you are buying a truck so go diesel
In your petrol car you can rev it up @ lights & go to 7000 rpm if desire,
in a diesel that will never happen & all your power is in a narrow rev range & neither you or I can bang it through 5 gears as quickly as it can automatically change through 4 gears & by having auto I find it more powerful in passing range I need it @ in auto with a car on back than I ever find the same vehicle in auto
& to finish, you are buying a compromise between a car & a truck, your best compromise around town 90% of its use is close to 30mpg in 3.0 litre compared to 15mpg if lucky in 4.2
the most user friendly economical powerful CARLIKE 4 wd you will ever buy is turbo auto & never forget who wears the pants in most households & after selling 4wds to retirees for years let me tell you it is not YOU.
AnswerID: 70872

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew O - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 13:15

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 13:15
I reckon thats the best reply I' ve read in ages. Double votes for the last paragraph!

Thanks for adding some real life perspective to the forum.

Cheers
Andrew

FollowupID: 331122

Reply By: TD6 - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 14:53

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 14:53
imlost,
All good answers and there is no definite. It's a bit like asking the ford, holden question or 2 stroke vs 4 stroke in outboards. If you want proven reliability then go 4.2. From a mechanical point of view that is the only choice.

AnswerID: 70900

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:49

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:49
Well said
some like 4cyl some like 6
same as Ford Holden debate
we could all go on forever about it
BUT enjoy it whichever you buy
FollowupID: 331172

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:03

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:03
My, arn't times a changin!!!

If you had posted the Nissan 3.0TD vs 4.2 TD question only a few months back, every man and his dog would have said "go the 4.2, the 3.0 will blow up and is unreliable".

Granted the first series II 3.0TD's have definete issues, but the series III is a great motor. Its power and economy make for a great 4WD that will handle the suburban chores without a fuel tanker behind. It will also tow a load AND still have power to overtake.

Point is, its good to see that the 3.0TD is getting past its poor reliability reputation in series II guise and starting to be seen for the good honest performer that it is in series III. No motor is without its issues, but the series III 3.0TD is proving to be as reliable as any other diesel.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 70902

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:47

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:47
No times are not a changing just someone who is in many different ones speaking his mind, & yes a few had gone bang, but we only ever hear of the bangs on these forums by the experts , in the numbers sold compared to ones with drama I bet the %ages are minimal ,the Japs are not that silly, they got onto it, bigger sump, look after warranty & get it right as this is path we are going in 4 cyl logeivity in worldwide oil crisis scenario, otherwise WHY cannot a 4.2 Auto Turbo be bought , the 4.2 has been around since year dot , no overhead cams or whatever other mutivalves or bells & whistles, why not , they either cannot handle it or don,t sell enough to justify it , maybe just because there a so few 4.2 sold they will be phased out the earliest, just my own thoughts !
FollowupID: 331171

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:18

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:18
& I am not " brand " biased like all you 4wd lovers ( lucky you did not get me going on all brands or I would need to take typing lessons ) but remember they are still a truck regardless of all the manufacturers trying to hide that fact with all their bells & whistles
but there is one major difference,
you are buying yours wanting it to last for ages,
we are buying our wanting it to last in stock as short a time as possible,
but I do love taking calls off all the experts & sitting there thinking as I am listening
" If only they knew what B------t they are speaking, come for a 3000-4000k turnaround trip over a 48 hr period & they may speak differently "
but regardless of all
WE ALL have one common denominator
want the best value for $$ & retention of value
& overall the nissan 3.0 is not a bad $ for $ & $ for use package,

it will never ever sound as good or smoothe as a 6 cyl, but don,t let it deceive or bias your thoughts that chugging noise is in any 4 cyl diesel, they still go pretty well.
the wife usually likes the shape
the husband likes the size & worries about more than he needs to ( because what is use of you worrying about it when Nissan employ engineers to worry about shortfalls etc )
the kids like the legroom
the mid 6 footer farmers who have no headroom in a Cruiser find more room in it than most,
& all know when they have done their 4wd initiation trip they stay with it & enjoy or have a marketable commodity in their driveway
AnswerID: 70906

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 21:59

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 21:59
I'm one of those who have consistently "bagged" the 3.0ltr version of the GU.
I have read the well-detailed accounts put forward by the gentleman from Jerilderie Motors (g'day mate; I'm originally a Narrandera bloke). He is obviously well-travelled bloke who knows a good truck when he sees it.
I am certainly willing to concede that the 3.0ltr has been harshly treated for it's earlier problems. I still have trouble getting my old fashioned brain to accept a truck that size can operate successfully on a 3000cc motor.

The 4.2 has a proven longevity record. Given there are quite a few 3 ltr owners on this forum, would it be an idea for me to suggest that their owners post an update on how many klicks they have racked up on their trucks and over what period of time. They've been around for over 4 years now, so I would imagine some of these are getting up towards 400,000klm by now.

I willingly accept that a 3ltr version will out-perform my old-banger 4.2, despite the 3" exhaust I've added which have allowed it to breathe more freely. However, I did not buy my truck to be the quickest etc. In fact when i bought it, I owned a Safari 4.2turbo GQ at the time. I went into the Nissan shop and wanted to test drive a new GU. The bloke only had a 3ltr auto as a demo and I took it for a drive. Damn thing nearly gave me whiplash; it went like a scalded cat!!!
I went back and he asked what i thought. I said it's a ripper, can I order one please, but with the 4.2 motor (about $2000 dearer). The bloke couldn't understand why I'd want to pay MORE for what I acknowledged was a SLOWER truck. I tried to explain I wanted longevity, not race car ability. If the Patrol had come with the option of a 6.5ltr n/a Chev motor for an extra $8k, I would have bought that instead of the 4.2ltr as well.

I'm really pleased for the owners of those series II and III 3.0ltr trucks that are having a good run and sincerely hope they continue to do so. I will stick with the slow-poke 4.2 and see what happens.
AnswerID: 70979

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:02

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:02
Now when you read this, take into account that I know f all about Patrols.

Some of you said series 1 is trouble make sure is series 2.
Others said series 2 is trouble make sure is series 3.

Does this mean when a series 4 comes out people will be saying "series 3 is trouble make sure is series 4"? Has the series 3 been out long enough to be able to assume that it is trouble free?

Perhaps people should say what the trouble is.

Buy a Rodeo :-)

Utemad
AnswerID: 70981

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:29

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:29
The series I GU came with the 2.8TD 6 cyl .
The series II GU came with the 3.0TD 4 cyl (sometimes referred to as series I 3.0TD motor).
The series III GU came with the upgraded 3.0TD 4 cyl (sometimes referred to as the series II 3.0TD motor).
Also, some refer to a series IV GU when the 4.2TD was released with the intercooler. However, this is NOT a Nissan designation.

I hope this explains the confusion for you.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 331215

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:38

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:38
Mate the bloke/s who said "series I" are trouble are sort or wrong.
Let me try to explain.
When the GU came out (series I) there were 3 motor choices:
4.5 petrol; 4.2 diesel (no turbo) or 2.8 turbo diesel (6 cylinder)
Series II came out in (I think) 2000 with the following motors:
4.5 Petrol; 4.2 T/D or 3.0ltr TDi (this is the one that they've had all the trouble with.....new/shorter dip stick; not larger sump as some believe)
In 2002 (I think) the series III came out:
4.5 Petrol, 4.2 T/D or 3.0ltr (new motor; supposed to be ducks guts)
In 2003 (I think) Series IV:
4.8 petrol, 4.2T/Di or 3.0ltr (same as last time)
I could be wrong about the 4.8 petrol; could have been in the series III (don't follow the petrol "cars")......
Hope this helps clear it up a bit.......
FollowupID: 331216

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 00:53

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 00:53
G'day Roachie,
Not wishing to appear too pedantic here, but the 4.2 turbo came out mid-'99 (not sure of the exact release date in Oz) alongside the 2.8TD & 4.5 petrol...
Mine is a April '99 build, complianced 05/99, & delivered to me on 07/06..
Not sure (& don't really care), but AFAIK mine is "categorised" as a "Series 1"...

Catch ya later... Regards, Ed. C.

BTW, Which way ya headin' on ya way "up the cape"??
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331219

Reply By: imlost - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:42

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:42
thanks to everyone who took the time to answer.i think ill be doin a bit of test driving before i (the misses) dicide on what is the best choice for me
thanks again and keep safe
AnswerID: 72545

Sponsored Links