Engine noise, nothing serious, just curious

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:27
ThreadID: 15228 Views:1871 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
As with all noises it's hard to describe so you actually know what I'm talking about. The noise is like a revese burping noise, it's a quick noise in time with the engine revs, as mentioned appears to be a suction noise. My vehicle is a 3.0 litre TD series one (yes I know all the other stuff so I would like to move past that). The fuel consumption and performance are as good as ever, there is no flashing lights or any other symptoms of anything being wrong, the vehicle has had this noise since I bought it 11 months ago, is it normal? It's usually when I accelerate in second and third, the noise disappears at around 2200 rpm consistently, I'm thinking it has something to do with the boost pressure, it's an inductioney type noise. Sometimes I don't get the noise at all. When the engine is under hard acceleration above 2200 rpm it's fine, no noise. The addition of the Dtronic box has made no diffrence it's still there, but the vehicle performs better than before.
Any ideas, do others have the same noise, has someone had it and if so what did they do to fix it? And what is it?
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:58

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:58
Hi Martyn,

As you say, noises are hard to describe and even harder to fix. But is it the variable vane on the turbo? The 3.0TD adjusts the turbo vanes instead of a wastegate, this way you get good low reponse plus good high rpm. Does your noise vary with throttle position for the same revs?

I have a "popping" noise that I orginally thought was the wastegate blowoff, until I found out it didn't have one!!! My noise was put down to the change in turbo vane angle - all normal. Don't know if we are describing the same noise, but from your description does not seem to be a problem.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 70913

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:36

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:36
Captain,
You could well of got something here, this sounds like a good explanation for the noise I have. The noise does get slightly louder if I put my foot harder into it when accelerating below 2200 rpm. I know the turbo kicks in at around the 2100 - 2200 rpm range, I thought this may have changed with the Dtronic box installed and therefore positively identify what the noise actually was. The noise could be a popping noise I suppose, it just sounds like its a suction noise, maybe because I want it to be. It definately isn't an exhaust type pressure noise, plus its a "sharper" noise not a "fluffy" type exhaust noise (gee whizzer listen to this won't you!!!).
Anyway normal sounds good to me I can live with that, thanks for the help.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 331167

Reply By: mr diamond - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:11

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:11
do you have a snorkal.
theres been people complaining about noises at certain revs once the snorkal was fitted.
AnswerID: 70944

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:30

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:30
Mr Diamond,
At this moment in time I haven't got a snorkle but it's on the shpping list..........
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 331210

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:12

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:12
Mr Diamond, first thing I thought of as well! ;-) I'm amazed you can here anything over those grumbly 3.0 patrols, boy they are noisey under load. Something to do with pre ignition I think?.
Oh well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
If your fuel consumption is good, it's no overheating, not using oil or water and there's plenty of power then sounds like you have a good truck. Go camping and forget about it!!

FollowupID: 331332

Sponsored Links