LC80 alternator wires

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 21:58
ThreadID: 15243 Views:2640 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have a current drain on battery when everything is switched off, flattens the battery overnight. I think it's probably the alternator (burnt out diode or whatever) but I can't get the wires off the back. Looks like a standard push-in connector, but I can't budge it. Need eyes on stalks to get a proper look at it! Has anyone had these wires off, is it just a push-in connector??
Thanks in advance.
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan Mac (VIC) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:43

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:43
The original specs on the 80 series.is a push in plug. and just takes a bit of juggling to unplug it. However there was an issue with that model in that all the dash lights would come on and toyota stated it was dirt gettin into the plugs which neccitated the plug to be cleaned. The fix was to hard wire it into the Altenator. So if you dont know the history it might be worth a closer investigation. I had the real life experience of the problem.
AnswerID: 70987

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:19

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:19
Thanks Allan. I'll have a closer look in the next couple of days.
Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

FollowupID: 331252

Reply By: V8troopie - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 00:55

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 00:55
Many multi pole push in connectors have a 'catch' that keeps them captive to the mating part. Usually there is a little plastic 'tongue' that has to be pushed ( or squeezed) to release the locking barb. There are many different connector locking systems and they all seem baffling at first until you'd worked it out. Some even require a small screwdriver blade slid in to lift the catch barb - I am not familiar with your particular connector.
Best advise I can give you is do NOT use excessive force, try to figure out how it is held captive - a little mirror and torch often helps - and once you figured out how to release it there might be a few 'wiggles' in order to loosen the firm contacts from each other.
Klaus
AnswerID: 70999

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:22

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:22
Hi Klaus
The connector looks like a standard type with a plastic tongue as you suggest. The only problem is that there is no 'give' at all when I try to wriggle it. It's as if it has been super glued in place.
I'll try the mirror and torch in the next day or so when I get time, as there may be 2 catches.
Cheers
John

FollowupID: 331253

Reply By: jaaap - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:34

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:34
John
had a similar problem with a diesel 80 series
From time to time the battery would be flaten in a few hours
In my case it turned out to be one of the glow plug relays staying on This _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 30-40 amps and will flatten a fully charged battery very quickly

From memory it was the relay nearast the battery and toyota wants an arm and a leg however I made a bracket and got a silver contact relay from the auto sparky, worked a treat

Suggest you check the alt output etc before removing it I went down that path and then the starter motor route before stumbling on the real cause. Bit of a concern when camping and the battery packs it in in the middle of nowhere

Be interested in your outcome

Regards

Jaap
AnswerID: 71018

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:26

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:26
Thanks jaap
I can check out the glow plug theory by isolating the glow plug supply, which I will do when I get a minute. I don't think the current is that high, as it's only a small spark when I take the earth lead off the battery. I'd expect 30 amps to make a reasonable arc.
I'll post the outcome when I get it sorted.
Cheers
John

FollowupID: 331255

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:53

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:53
Hi
I would not disconnect the alt, if the lights on the dash have not been coming on, you are looking in the wrong place....Start with having a look at the towbar plug. If it is damaged, fis it first. Then check the charge rate with a multimeter, if u dont have one, get one from Dicky Smith. Should be 14.2-14.6 when motor running.
Next, with motor stopped, remove positive terminal, put Multimeter on Amps, and put red on battery, black on removed terminal. This will read the current draw from whatever is using the power, and give you a ballpark figure to go by.
Then it is remove the fuse and see if it makes a difference.
Andrew
AnswerID: 71109

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:17

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:17
Thanks Andrew
I got the alternator plug off before I saw your post, and you're right. That's not the problem. The dash lights are normal.
I'll have to reconnect everything I've disconnected before I can start the engine again, but I have eliminated the glow plug relay, the alternator, the battery isolator, and the lighting relays as the possible cause.
Next thing is to check the trailer plug as you suggest, although I can't see how that would be the problem as none of the wires are live until at least the ignition key or light switch is on. But I'll check it anyway, because the next place to look is under the dash, and I'd rather not go there!
Multimeter only copes with 0.25A current and it flicks hard against the stop, so I'd say it's a few amps being drawn.
Cheers
John

FollowupID: 331370

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:45

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:45
Hi
Some people (me included) have the main power wired up to the caravan through the 7 pin plug.
If u have any radios in the truck disconnect them aswell, my cruiser had a plug off the hf which was transmitting and using the power that way...also remove a fuse at a time from the main fuse block under the bonnet aswell as inside the dash.
Lastly, if u have a electric brake towing dodah, sus it out aswell.
Andrew
FollowupID: 331374

Reply By: jaaap - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:20

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:20
John
There are 2 relays for the glow plugs
The one i had trouble with is a round affair and moisture gets in and corrodes the return spring
Put your multimeter over the common rail of the glow plugs and see if the current turns off shortly after start up etc

Jaap
AnswerID: 71210

Sponsored Links