Water Wetter

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:17
ThreadID: 15258 Views:1842 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone heard of OR used this product. I have had two people recommend this to me- (both trying to sell it) -it's a small bottle (about 500 mls) which is added to your normal glycol/water mixture in your radiator. expensive-- about $22....It's supposed to keep your engine at least 10 degrees cooler with less hotspots etc.- Just the thing with summer not far away- if it works!

I DO know that there is a "boundary layer" both in your engine and radiator which reduces temperature transfer, but as usual, I'm the ultimate sceptic.

If, in fact, it works on this boundary layer, then they might just have something.
I would love feedback if anyone else knows anything about it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 14:03

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 14:03
Have used it in the Fire Service, and on the garden, but not in a radiator!

Sounds to me to be dodgey.. cant see how it would work in this application
AnswerID: 71061

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 14:53

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 14:53
Flash

Bought a bottle of it to keep the temps down on my Triumph 955 Daytona that used run a bit hot at the traffic lights. It is supposed to work by making the coolant more thermally efficient and better able to transfer heat. (not a real scientific expanation, but I think that is the gist of it).

My mechanic at Triumph told me not to use it on that particular engine because of the alloy used in the motor condtruction and he was worried about adverse reactions, yada, yada... so I gave it to my mate to keep his commodore cool.

It is imported by Redline Oils, I think they are in Moorabin from memory as I bought it direct from them.

Their web page: Redline Water Wetter

A quick searck on Google for "Redline Water Wetter", shows some guys say it works, other say it doesn't. Also shows you it is $US 8 a bottle over there.

Wazza.
AnswerID: 71072

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 15:06

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 15:06
From the sounds of it, if you put it in with conjunction with dual hiclones, you will get 25% more power, 25% better fuel efficiency and less wear on your tyres due to cooler temps.

I'm the same Flash, very skeptical of these products until otherwise proven!
AnswerID: 71073

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 20:03

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 20:03
Flash,
Not guaranteeing this is what they are trying to sell, but the general use of wetting agents is that they break down the bonding of the water and allow it to "stick" to whatever it is contained in, rather than to itself. We always used wetting agent for cleaning developer off photographs before putting it in the next step of the process. What did we use - sunlight dishwashing liquid. Not saying you are buying this but i think the theory behind it will be the same
Rolande
AnswerID: 71131

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:36

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:36
Correct Rolande, it breaks the surface tension of whatever you are trying to wet, used in thousands of applications. I throw in a splash of dishwashing liquid when mixng mortar for bricklaying around the house, throw in a bit when mixing weedkiller and it fully covers the leaves rather than running into small balls.
FollowupID: 331373

Reply By: Moz - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:09

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:09
Flash,
Just one point to consider, why would you want your engine to
run 10 degrees cooler?
Engines are designed to run at a particular temperature and engine
manufactures go to a lot of effort to ensure this.
Incorrect operating temperature effects engine wear, fuel efficiency and emissions.
If an engine is running hotter than normal the root cause needs to
be found instead of using a 'quick-fix' like these products.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Moz
AnswerID: 71167

Follow Up By: Flash - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:26

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:26
Moz,
It wouldn't run 10 degrees cooler with the thermostat closed.
But, when the thermostat is wide open, you're flat out half way up the range with a 2.5 tonne caravan on the back, aircon working hard, (It's nudging 40 degrees outside), Turbo providing heaps of boost..........
I'd love the engine to be 10 degrees cooler.
Might mean I can leave the aircon on without feeling guilty rather than turning it off for a while.
Get the picture?
Doesn't mean I'm not skeptical though!!! Hence the question.
Cheers
FollowupID: 331427

Sponsored Links