Soft Sand Driving

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 05:02
ThreadID: 15280 Views:2674 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have just returned from a fabulous trip to Cape York Towing a 1000 kg off road camper behind our LC 100 with four kids two adults and all the gear in the world. I reckon we weighed 4 tonne plus and were on the road for 6 weeks!

I am keen to see Fraser Island and a couple of other sandy destinations and wondered if anyone had any experience with reasonably heavy trailers in soft sand. I've done plenty of sand driving without a trailer, but am looking for any advice on towing in sand.

Keep Kookin'!

Good Damper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:25

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:25
Hey mate i went to Fraser with a dual axel 8x5 box loaded with two bikes camping gear all up about 1000kg behind the Explorer, went like a dream no prob at all, go with your trailer you'll have a ball.

Explorer luuuvves the sand !!!

Baz.
AnswerID: 71193

Reply By: Trevor Webb - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:32

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:32
Fraser Island is generally hard sand below the High Water Line and is easily accessable from the southern point of the Island at Rainbow Beach.You will see a number of Caravans and sorts up along the Beach. Once you establish camp you can then take the inland tracks ,vehicle only. Inskip point can be about as far as you could get with trailer.Just check the tides and wait for an outgoing tide before you make the run up the Beach.Major Attractions are Eily Creek ,Lake Mackenzie and Central Station.But it a betiful place to visit. Be aware of Many Vehicles on weekends and the rentatroopcarriers full of Backpackers who are generally in a hurry to see everything and have liitle experience with sand driving, watch your children on open beaches,suggest swimming at Eily Creek rather than surf.
AnswerID: 71195

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:21

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:21
"Inskip point can be about as far as you could get with trailer"
Me thinks not. You'll have no problems towing a trailer right up to Waddy Point. Might not get it up to Sandy Cape as the rocks can be a bit tricky, but Waddy is the last official campsite anyway. Anytime on the lower half of the tide you'll have a better road than the Bruce Highway (allthough probably just as much traffic :-(
Take your trailer, set up camp and then explore.
John
FollowupID: 331407

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:48

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:48
I'd be running the fully setup for travel car and trailer etc over a weigh bridge before i went out again...

If you are overloaded you will scrap your insurance if needed.

YMMV
AnswerID: 71203

Reply By: Rob! - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:23

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:23
Good Damper,

You shouldn't have any hassels except perhaps on the inland tracks when a tourist bus comes from the opposite dierction and you have to reverse (with your trailer)to give way to them.

The most difficult part on the beach (even at low tide) would be around inskip point but there is an inland "road" from there to Dili Village if you want to use it..

Eli Creek is no longer the swiming haven it once was since the change of the creeks direction.

No fires allowed on inland campsites so I'd camp on the beach behind the dunes.

You'll have a great time.

R.
AnswerID: 71211

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:15

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:15
Rob,
Inskip Point is on the mainland, where you get the barge. Hook point is the bottom of the Island. Yes you should use the "road" unless it's dead low tide.

John
FollowupID: 331422

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:20

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:20
Oh yeah
Sorry.
I was concentrating an my apostrophies.
FollowupID: 331424

Reply By: locallaw - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:30

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:30
Gidday,I have been to Fraser a couple of times and enjoyed it.If you camp behind the dunes make sure you wear your sunglasses.You ask, why wear sunnies well when on the back of the dunes a terrible lot of inconsiderate a#%^^es dont bury you know what and there is white paper every where.More like a snow drift.
It dosnt take much to dig a hole deep enough to get rid of it and keeps the dingos away for a while.
Just my bit.
Have a good time
Locallaw
AnswerID: 71227

Reply By: Pelesino - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:11

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:11
I was in Fraser early this year with a 800+Kg trailer. My first experience was at Inskip Point, be carefull the sand may be soft if it hasn't rained. I got stuck !!! bummer. Make sure the trailer is well balanced against the car. Once in the Island you will find it hard to pass Indian Head as it is very soft sand. An air pump is a must as you may have to go as low as 10 or 15psi. I followed the beach as I was told not to follow the inland tracks with a trailer. Try to go around the head in low tide as you may have to go through the water at some point.
Good luck and enjoy it ! ! !
AnswerID: 71239

Reply By: friar - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:53

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:53
Hi Good Damper
I have been going to fraser for 40 yrs,the beach conditions are always
differant from time to time,the only advice i can give is travel 2hrs before
tow tide to 2hrs after & if the sand is really soft let your tyres down till
you get grip not forgetting to let the trailer tyres down also
Friar
AnswerID: 71261

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:37

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:37
Hi Good Damper,

One piece of advice, don't forget to let your tyres down on the camper as well. I did not believe it until I did it myself, someone recorded me pulling my 1000 kg camper through really thick sand, all tyres blazing, big amounts of sanding whipping high into the air etc. Left tyres in camper up. Showed for the majority of the time, the wheels on the camper were not moving and I was skull dragging it along, making it heaps harder to make it through.

On the way out, let tyres down to 18 psi with the old stauns, gave the tyres a nice 'bellow' and they floated/rolled the whole way out on top of the sand, made it out so much easier.

Obviously, just remember to re-inflate once on the road!

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 71267

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:07

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:07
Getting round Hook Pt was nerve wracking first time but 99.9% is easy at low tide. Near Waddy Pt supply station going over to beach on other side of the head was only other bit that was as little soft.

Got stuck past Waddy Point getting up off beach to ocean beach camp site - wrong pressure again (22) - went to 16 and no probs.

Don't venture past Waddy now, not worth the trouble.

Tyre pressures are the key.

Rains a lot. :)

Have fun
AnswerID: 71320

Sponsored Links