04 3.0 TD GUIII Vibration at 130K's

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:27
ThreadID: 15297 Views:2338 Replies:13 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
I have a Patrol GUIII 3.0 TD that I picked up in February this year. I love the truck and It has been great so far......but.....thus the post here in the forum.
I have noticed a shudder or a vibration at around 130k's when accelerating; it is determined by the speed not the engine revs because it only happens at this particular speed. This noise has been there since day 1 and has not gotten worse yet, I have spoken to Nissan and they have said that they can test the car at the speed because its against the law to drive at 130k's in NSW. Has any one else heard of or had a similar problem or noise that could help me identify what the problem actually is? I did point out to the service manager that a had bought a "NEW CAR" for 55K that does not seem to be working properly, his fix for the solution was not to drive at 130kms per hour!
This in my mind may turn into a bigger problem in a few years and I would like to get it fixed now!
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks Ben,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:52

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:52
Ben,

I can sort of understand where Nissan are coming from, they can't test it so it'll be hard to find the problem. It's not often any of us do 130k/h unless testing the new pyro, exhaust etc. I'm the first to jump on the bandwagon if Nissan aren't honoring a warranty but in this in situation I can understand that they cannot fault find at an exceeded speed limit.

However, to allay your concerns, I'd suggest that you pop a letter through suggesting there may be a problem and that it may develop from here on in. I think they keep a log of warranty complaints.

It may be the balance/alignment in the tyres/wheels, your driveshaft may have taken a hit whilst out playing etc etc. If it eventually gets develops at lower speeds, then go and re-iterate your complaint.

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 71272

Follow Up By: BenH - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:44

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:44
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply but I have already been down that path, they have already had the car 4 times trying to rectify the problem but to no avail! They have told me that it is recorded as fault.
I have also had the back cover fall off the driver’s seat, a miss or a stutter in the transmission and a suspension arm come loose on the first day off road.
I work for a major camera manufacturer and I think that the car industry has got it made, if a customer brings back a camera with the first 2 x weeks of purchase with a problem we will just replace it, its probably a lemon. If you were to purchase your new truck as in your picture and there was a problem that no one was able to identify, you would probably see it from my perspective. Nissan have sent an email to Japan for help but still no answer.
Call me old fashioned but I just think that a new car with less than 20K on it should not have this many problems!
I am just looking to get my Patrol working like a new car should because I love my Patrol and it is my dream car that I have been working towards for the last few years.
Thanks Ben,
FollowupID: 331480

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:49

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:49
Fair enough Ben, I guess all you can do it keep at them. I understand your concerns, and the transmission, seat and trailing arm all should be covered under warranty. But the 130k/h thing will be tough to fix and an eye should be kept on the problem when travelling at 110 k/h. (Maximum speed in QLD anyway!)

I won't be happy either, but unfortunately, none of us are perfect and hopefully, any small probs I do have will be covered by our Nissan friends! Am in the right industry anywho should someone try to pull wool over eyes.

Hope you have luck sooner rather than later.
FollowupID: 331481

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:20

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:20
Call in @ a Rural Nissan Dealer where you get someone more used to doing distances & realising that not everyone sits on 100k, most of them would gladly give it a run or @ least sit in the passenger seat while you do.
Or go holiday to NT no speed limit & see one of their dealers !
It sounds too new to be well worn in tyres, which many vibrate if that is case but it could be a crook tyre ?, I would try an on car balance first if I owned it who knows but the smaller the town & dealer the better your chance of a remedy is my opinion.
It amazes me we are all allowed to sit bumper to bumper on city freeway nearly touching doorhandles @ 100 or 110k & that is legal in 5pm traffic squash , but out alone with nothing to hit except a fence 50 ft off the side of the road we get same limits.
AnswerID: 71289

Reply By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:32

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:32
Hi Ben

A mate of mine had a similar problem, Nissan dealer checked wheel bearings, alignment, balance and couldn't find the cause. He finished up replacing the steering damper - no more shudder. It may be worth a try. BTW where in Aust. can you legally drive at 130k
Cheers
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 71294

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 17:17

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 17:17
Northern Teritory - Go as fast as you like.
FollowupID: 331592

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:43

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:43
I believe the road between Darwin and Alice Springs is no limit?

Not sure. Haven't been there ......... yet

Utemad
AnswerID: 71295

Reply By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:53

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:53
alice to darwin is open rosd limit, try nissan in the territory to see if they are able to enlighten you at all on the problem you are experiencing.
AnswerID: 71297

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:26

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:26
BenH

Have you got a snorkel fitted??

There has been mention of vibrations ocurring at certain speeds and revs in some patrols. Something to do with the intake changing things resulting in a reverberation through the car.

In mine its around 100k mark andbleeps me. Never had anything fall of it though.!

AnswerID: 71299

Follow Up By: BenH - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:31

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:31
Hi Andrew,
No snorkel as yet, later this year I will put one on.
Thanks Ben,
FollowupID: 331495

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:39

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:39
If you do get a snorkel, make sure you get a Nissan genuine one and have it fitted by Nissan.

Once again, if something goes wrong or can be attributed to the snorkel, they can't lob it back on you.

Mine is a safari but would go genuine next time. There are all sorts off crap bullbleepwrite ups about Safari snorkels letting in more air and all that but at the end of the day with a GU 3.0Tdi air flow is controlled by the computer so you won't get anymore air than it wants anyway.
FollowupID: 331496

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:30

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:30
Hi Ben
I don't think the Patrol is designed to do 130kph over long distances. The fuel economy would suffer and the revs are high for a diesal. Overheating would probably occur on a hot day.
Most Jap cars are made to comply with the US market where the speed limit is 55 MPH or approx 90kph.
I have driven trucks years ago and my experience is the heavier the vehicle the more vibrations etc at excessive speeds.
The patrol tyres and drive trains are more suited to slow speeds over rough terrain as opposed to high speeds over bitumin highways. For those conditions maybe a falcon or commodore would be best for you!
The steering dampener would probably be the first thing to check. I replace mine around 130,000 K's. But I have never gone that fast - maybe 120 kph tops!
AnswerID: 71300

Follow Up By: BenH - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:46

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:46
Hi Peter,
Just to clarify things a little,
I don’t drive all the time at 130k's I just happened to notice it once overtaking a truck just after I got the car on its maiden voyage to Broken Hill. Since the trip I just try it once in a while to see if its gone, the car has only done since February when I got it new around 20,000k's, (as Nissan puts it still "tight").
Peter, thank you, you are the second person that has mentioned the Steering Dampener and I will get Nissan to look at that next, it dumfounds me that Nissan after having the car on 4 separate occasions could not think to look at the steering dampener, this would suggest to me that they may not know their product all that well.
Just remember guys that this is a brand new car with less than 20,000ks on the clock. This should not be worn!
Appreciate your help.
Thanks Ben,
FollowupID: 331497

Reply By: Turbos - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 18:20

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 18:20
Hi Ben can't help you much but I recently had the same problem where holden refused to drive my car above 100. I rang around and the only solution I got was too run the car on a dyno. I does not really simulate road conditions too well but it may be worth a try or looking into! Cheers.
AnswerID: 71304

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 19:20

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 19:20
What about testing it on a dyno?
AnswerID: 71307

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 20:09

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 20:09
This may seem a bit silly but try putting the back wheels on the front and the front wheels on the back and see what happens - not all tyres are actually round. If that doesn't do anything then the steering damper may be the way to go though also look for any worn bushes - i know it's new but.........maybe something was overtightened or not torqued properly - also maybe forget the dealer and go find yourself a real 4wd shop that knows what is what. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 71312

Reply By: Nomad - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:57

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:57
Hi Ben

As mentioned, certainly try the on wheel balance. They will normally cover it well over your 130K. Will balance tyres, rims, brake discs and any thing else that goes around. And yes get them to look at the damper. If you really want to cover everything, then have you tailshaft and other transfer case shafts balanced. At the speeds your talking about, they only have to be out a tiny bit and you will feel it.

Know when I was a young fella (geez) we were always into fast cars and racing and well you know. We balanced every damn thing that went around. Why? It gave us just that tiny bit more speed and perhaps saved a big blowup at the drags.

I have a GU11 and I find at times a slight vibration at 100 - 110K, but not all the time. I'm told it is fairly normal. Don't forget this truck is designed for off road work and as such does not travel on the blacktop as smoothly as the IFS Toy, not to say it's rough, but that's the trade off for one of the best factory produced off road vehicles.

Cheers

Nomad
AnswerID: 71338

Reply By: Blaze - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 03:19

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 03:19
Hi Ben,

I would also try the change of tyres front to back, and also Dyno as this will rule out wind noises etc.

Most people don't realise what speed their vehicle gets up to when overtaking. I was driving over near Ceduna last year and caught for quite a time behind to Camper Buses, nose to tail on 80k's. Owning a V6 Paj at the time when I got a chance on a long stretch I passed, I was towing my camper and was blown away later when I checked my GPS and looked at my average and top speed, 147k's per hr. When passing, sensible drivers don't take their eyes of the road and want to get past and back in as soon as possible and would be amased at what speeds are reached whilst passing.

Blaze
AnswerID: 71359

Follow Up By: BenH - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 08:47

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 08:47
Good morning all,
I would just like to thank everone for there feedback, it has given me some information to take back to the dealer..........they should perhaps try some things like this when they throw there arms up in the air and say "Im not sure!"
Thanks Ben,
FollowupID: 331545

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:04

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:04
Also one other thing Ben, I found my front-right wheel bearings were loose at 15k. Check with wheel off ground and grip wheel and try to move it in/out as though trying to turn it, both in the verticle and horizontal planes. (????) Obviously l & r.
AnswerID: 71374

Sponsored Links