XGS suspension from TJM

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 14:01
ThreadID: 15322 Views:6192 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Just got a quote for my upgrade of suspension to the terracan this included 4 XGS heavey duty shocks Rear springs and winding up the torsion bars at the front 40mm

Over all this will raise the 4x4 40mm for about $1000 is this money well worth spent or should I look at other options

PS it appears that TJM are the only ones doing anyting for the terracan if this is not so can anyone else the name of other suppliers

thanks Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 16:55

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 16:55
Hey Tim,

Price sounds about right with them doing the work, and I do think it is a good modification to make as your car like mine sits a bit too low in the standard format.

Just one thing to be mindful of is that if you wind up the front torsion bars, you will most likely sacrifice ride quality. I have seen this done before and you will feel a lot more bumps than you probably do now. A lot of places actually replace the torsion bars with stroger ones than the standard factory models in the hope of giving you the lift you need when wound up but also providing a reasonable ride.

The only other pointer I can give is to ensure that your wheels are all correctly aligned once the work is done.

I am doing the same to my 2000 Frontera and have elected to replace the torsion bars as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
AnswerID: 71408

Follow Up By: Doug Itchy Feet - Sunday, Sep 05, 2004 at 20:57

Sunday, Sep 05, 2004 at 20:57
Hi Guys,

I've a 2004 Terracan and find that it tends to wander down the road crown. The wheels have been aligned to specs but the car still pulls (just a little) requiring constant slight pressure to keep it on the straight and narrow. It has standard khumo tyres and no suspension mods.

The car steers dead straight on a dead level surface.

The toe is 0 degrees at present (specs call for 3.5mm +- 3.5mm.

Is this typical terracan behaviour? Do you guys run any toe-in?

Apart from this issue the car has exceeded my expectations and the engine is freeing up nicely at 1,500 Ks.

Any comments would be great.

Thanks

Doug

FollowupID: 335038

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:04

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:04
I would ask them who manufactures the kit on the pretext that you want to know if they are from a quality springmaker.
If TJM can buy the springs from a springmaker then so can anyone else.
I know my local TJM deals in 3-4 brands of springs.
AnswerID: 71427

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:21

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:21
price is not so much of the concern it the brand of springs and shocks they are XGS springs and shocks are they any good
FollowupID: 331614

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 21:42

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 21:42
Had XGS and Series 2000 on the GQ when I first upgraded it... due to the cheap price. Suprisingly good... but rode very firm.

They are now on another GQ now, thats done the cape 2 times, and not failed yet.

If its your only choice, then go with it.
AnswerID: 71435

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 22:29

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 22:29
Tim.
A bit of advice from an old hand.
You are a bit embarased by the vehicle when you compared it to other vehicles.
When you ordered it you told us you knew the limitations and were going to live with them. When I read that I though 'theres a smart man' now you are disapointing me. The mods you are proposing will not make any significant difference to the vehicle when compared to the others, but the the ride and general handling of the vehicle will suffer. The end result will be an increase in frustration which may leed to a change in vehicles, if this happens you will lose the grand pluss the resale value will be greatly reduced, the total frustration will be increased, so decide to play in a differant sand pit or trade while the vehicle is still worth something. Just a friendly tip. Eric.
AnswerID: 71442

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 22:33

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 22:33
Best advice on earth..
FollowupID: 331636

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 23:15

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 23:15
Thanks for the advice eric I agree with you I have found the terracan has far out preform to what I expected and are very happy with it never thought it would play with the big boys The only reason I was looking at suspension upgrade was Jim was told this will give a better ride and hander ling than it has got at the moment but if you think thats not the case I wont waste my money Do you think the porta winch is a worth buying as it seems I will properly get stuck more often then the LC or Nissan patrol will or am I better trading the car and getting a LC 80 series What do think I would get trade for it 2 months old 2500kms on the clock Am I wasting my money on the bull bar as well any advice would be greatly appreciated
FollowupID: 331641

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:47

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:47
Tim D it sounds like you are now ready to trade up to a bigger vehicle, so before you spend your money, have a serious look around at either a Patrol or a L/C. If thats what you want, put your extras on it.
FollowupID: 331645

Follow Up By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 22:57

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 22:57
Tim.
The resale value is highest on a stock standard vehicle, so I dont recomend any accesories. The porta winch is in my experiance is to much of a handful, the cost and effort is huge, it would be simpler to dig the vehicle out, or lower the tyre pressure and drive it out. As far as trading on a 80 series I beleave the teracan is a better vehicle in every way except in heavy of road work. you are better of 99.9% of the time. As said before, if you play with the big boys you will loose, but if you drive to enjoy the bush and have a smooth ride you are a winner. The times when you cant go where you want because of the vehicle would be minimal. If you have money burning a hole in you pocket, do an advanced driving course, that will get you further up a track than a suspension mod.The big tyre boys are causing more tracks to be damaged and closed, so soon we will all be banned from the bush in winter. Keep it and enjoy. Eric.
FollowupID: 331785

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 23:50

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 23:50
Eric, that's some of the best advice I've read in this forum. I'm similarly afflicted with a vehicle with some limitations in the very rough stuff but you've just got to learn what they are and drive accordingly. There's far too much emphasis on hardware mods, promoted I think by the likes of ARB and TJM and (through their advertising power) the 4x4 mags. Everybody rushes off to buy bigger tyres, suspensions lifts, new shocks etc as soon as they're off the dealer's forecourt, when the first priorities should be to ensure knowing the car's abilities, the ability to get out of trouble when you hit the limits, knowing where you are and how to call for help if needed and so on.
As you say, 99% of tracks can be driven in stock 4x4s (proper ones, that is) as long as you do it with care and some forethought.
FollowupID: 331793

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 23:51

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 23:51
"As you say, 99% of tracks can be driven in stock 4x4s (proper ones, that is) as long as you do it with care and some forethought."

I'll disagree with them stats...
FollowupID: 331795

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 00:00
So if anything replce the springs and shocks with better ones to improve the handeling than as it has a problem on the road at the moment but dont worry about raising it
FollowupID: 331799

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 00:09

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 00:09
Ok, make it 90% or even 85% then Truckster... The point is that it's still a game of diminishing returns: you pour thousands of bucks into mods because the mags tell you to, when you can go to most places anyway with care (assuming you start off with something better than a RAV in the first place).
FollowupID: 331801

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:50

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:50
I doubt ANYone puts accessories or mods on a car cause a magazine says so..

People pour money into their car, to make it what they want.. Watertanks, etc etc..

It also points the different directions people take on where they go, some are happy to do firetrails and get a boner out of it, others like challenges, like Rankins, Vic Range, Rocky Track, The Steps, etc etc ... None of you would stand spit chance of in a stocky.

YMMV
FollowupID: 331833

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:59

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:59
I don't actually disagree with that. Just wanted to exprewss my agreement with Eric's points but overstated my case, as tends to happen after a few beers late at night :-) Horses for courses and all that...
FollowupID: 331835

Reply By: MrBitchi - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:52

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:52
Tim,
King Springs make raised coils for the Gerrycan (ooops, Terracan!). A set of these would cost around $300. Add a set of OME shocks for around $140ea and your right on the money. Do your shocks actually need replacing? The standard ones will cope with the small lift no problems. IMHO the XGS heavy duty shocks would be too hard for every day use. Crank the torsion bars by about 1", get a wheel alignment and your done. On some vehicles with IFS, trimming the bump stops can help give a bit more wheel articulation after raising the front.
John
AnswerID: 71454

Reply By: Andrea&Dean - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:01

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:01
Tim

We had a XGS package from TJM (shocks, springs & steering damper) fitted to our 80 series Landcruiser about a month ago and for the money ($1095) its definitely worth it. They are a quality brand behind OME. So far we havent had any probs. Its raised our vehicle by 7cm at the front and 8cm at the back (we opted for slight heavier springs on the back for towing) They take a while to settle in and we have noticed the difference already even on bitumen.

Andrea&Dean
AnswerID: 71458

Reply By: Utemad - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 13:48

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 13:48
I would have to agree with the trade-in thing.....to a point.

I am at the point where my Rodeo isn't quite getting me to some places I want to go (due to clearance and front wheel travel mainly I think) However I am planning on going to Europe for 1-2 years in about 2 years time. I have had the vehicle for 3yrs 8months now. I would like to trade up to a 3.0 diesel Patrol but cannot see the sense in doing so now as I will be selling my fourbie when I go. So with that said I think that getting raised rear springs and doing the torsion bar wind and ball joint flip will allow me to get just that bit further down the track to keep me happy until I can get that Patrol (or whatever catches my eye when I return). I want a locker for the front too which will do wonders for the vehicle.

Although perhaps Terracan Tim is suffering from the new 4x4 owner syndrome. As when you first set out to buy a 4x4 lots of us think "I don't want to go too far. A (insert 4x4 here) will do me."

Problem with this is it is only a matter of time before you DO want to go further and find your vehicle restricts you.

When I first started I was going to get a Vitara but thought a ute would be more practical and for long trips a short wheelbase would suck anyway when you have to carry so much gear.

However now I am at that stage with the Rodeo :-(

But I can live with it for another two years I'm sure. I just need to winch more often then I would like.

I hope I have helped in some way or form (sure!?!?!?!?!?)

Utemad

AnswerID: 71507

Reply By: dingbat - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 20:39

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 20:39
Tim
Have fiited the TJM springs and xgs shocks to my May 2004 Highlander along with torsion bar lift of about 30mm, which I am now reconsidering reducing a little. Springs fitted were progressive and I thought that they would be linear following article in 4x4 Aust sometime ago. TJM home office in Brisbane informed me that progressive springs are all they have listed. Rear ride height was indeed initially increased by about 40mm but after towing 14' caravan for 4000k this appears to have reduced, but after week without van maybe increasing again. Initial impression was that 'nervouness' in car's handling was removed as noticed even by wife and car was a little bit firmer-not a bad thing-- whilst pretty happy I do have a minor concern in that it bottomed at rear a couple of times with me and four female passengers on a couple of the bumpier bitumen roads around the Tweed area and without the van and tools etc removed--will be talking again to TJM in ACT re this and apparent sag in rear that is persisting when unladen.
Note that Lovell's have torsion bars and rear springs(3 configurations) listed in their online catalogue.
For towing and maintaining levels twixt car and van am considering polyairs like most other coil sprung 4x4's .
regards
dingbat
AnswerID: 71579

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 21:33

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 21:33
So you would look at the Lovell's springs and torsion bars then why are you looking at winding down your torsion bars I also find the vehicle nervous on the road did you find the lift made much difference at all would you recommend doing it
FollowupID: 331764

Follow Up By: dingbat - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 17:09

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 17:09
Tim
I merely mentioned the Lovells gear so you could look at other options if you wished, as I said before I am happy with vehicles handling now and if wife noticed it being less 'nervous' then it must be an improvement, this may have been achieved by shocks alone, but as I tow a van I wanted some heavier springs in rear-TJM are about $200 the pair in your quote. I am just a tad concerned with the apparent sag in these springs after towing the van and intend to discuss it with TJM very soon as rear ride height is now only about 10-15 mm over stock, but handling is still a great improvement. Am thinking about winding down torsion bars a bit because I think it would just 'feel better' re car's balance and also think it look better-pretty poor reason that one eh? Lift has improved clearance while acessing my driveway so it probably would in the Brindabellas as well.
Previous 4wd's have been FJ55 and Bravo ute so Terracan is great improvement and I am prepared to accept tha it does not ride and handle as well as my other drives-Lumina, Stateman and Fairlanes.
Hope I have not added confusion
regards
dingbat
FollowupID: 331846

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 17:34

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 17:34
The sagging in the rear spring worries me. I have a heavey speed boat on a single axle trailer and this puts lots of weight on the rear of the car.
I have also increased the size of the tyres on the 4x4 from 255/65/16 to 265/70/16 and now the clearance on the rear is close that the tyres rub when i put the boat on. so i am looking for that 40mm raise at the rear but dont want to find it drops like yours has after a few months let me know how you went
FollowupID: 331848

Reply By: Foss - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 15:13

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 15:13
XGS shocks are rebranded. That means they can be bought cheaper somewhere else. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer however, they are red (not Koni). The springs are made at Kings works.
AnswerID: 71662

Reply By: dingbat - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:35

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:35
Tim
Good morning, have a look at the Lovell's site as their springs for the Terracan rear come in 3 configurations of raised, std and heavy duty raised, perhaps one of these along with a hayman reese type load distribution system and maybe some polyairs would solve any sagging problem when the boat is attached, I will keep you posted on the TJM springs and their response. Sagging rear ends are a problem most standard coil sprung 4x4's have with towing and in some cases heavy duty weight distribution gear solves it, but I dont want to go to that expense to tow a relatively small and light van so am persevering with minor suspesion changes.
regards
dingbat
AnswerID: 71715

Sponsored Links