CHEAP CARAVAN

Submitted: Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 14:21
ThreadID: 15348 Views:4789 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Near NSW/VIC BORDER yesterday retired couple with Falcon & Pop Top Caravan heading to Qld winter warmth lost the lot blown away by B Double Truck in gust of wind according to report in paper , caravan still attatched to car, with Hayman Reece bars but NO SWAY CONTROL, Car & van upside down wrapped around a tree, belongings scattered everywhere .I could scan photos out of paper but no idea how to attach them to this post
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 14:29

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 14:29
I do recovery work for an insurer here in Brisbane and I can tell you that this is a regular occurence.

I'm currently working on a matter where a truck has blown a car and it's van into a creek along with itself, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage. Puts you off towing a van doesn't it!
AnswerID: 71512

Follow Up By: Diesel Do - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 16:36

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 16:36
Chris,

That's real bad news for a lot of people. I wonder what could be done to reduce the problem?

Do you have any info you can share about the size of car/van combo's that suffer this fate regularly? Is this a problem with sedans only or have you seen it happen to all sizes. Do you think it's related to speed, windage of van or weather conditions - or other...

Thanks,
FollowupID: 331703

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 02:01

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 02:01
G'day Diesel Do,
I'll "chime in" here, if I may...
Without commenting on the particular incident mentioned in the opening post, as I don't know the details, the problem, as noted by Chris, is not a new one & it's been happening for years....
I believe that most cases involve a car/van being overtaken by the larger vehicle...
It is very much related to windage of van, particularly in relation to its weight (and that of the towing vehicle)... Light van/large windage= bad news!
Anyone who has stood by the side of the h'way when a high-sided semi (or B-double) has gone past will know that these things drag along with them their very own mini-gale.. literally a 100km/h wind gust...

What usually happens is that the driver of the vehicle towing the 'van will be driving sedately along at about 80-85 km/h, completely oblivious to anything approaching from behind, when suddenly (to him) this dirty great behemoth appears alongside the drivers' window...
Instinctive reaction is to lift the foot off the gas (& brake!)... WRONG MOVE!!!!
That's when it all goes pear-shaped, because just as the they've upset the balance of the whole shebang, it's hit with the aforementioned 100km/h wind gust.. Goodbye caravan! (and car too, mostly)...

Correct procedure, assuming the 'van-towing driver has been watching his r/v mirrors & becomes aware that the semi is about to overtake, is to ease off the power just enough to allow the truck to begin its overtaking manoeuvre, then just as the truck begins to draw alongside, apply the power again.. enough to maintain present speed, & just a leetle bit extra, but he needs to be applying the power! .. If he has the presence of mind to GENTLY apply the 'van brakes independantly (if elect. brakes are fitted) while this is going on, so much the better...
This means that even though the 'van will be buffeted by the wind, it is still being PULLED by the car & the likelihood of "losing it" is greatly reduced... It goes without saying that the larger the towing vehicle, the better...

What can be done to reduce the problem?? (you ask)...
Well, IMO, awareness would go a long way, but that leads to a whole 'nother debate re peoples' ability to drive, etc. etc., & I'm not going there...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331809

Follow Up By: Diesel Do - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:25

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:25
Thanks for that Ed. Wondered what circumstances might cause it. Figure that I've never had any probs because I've never been overtaken by a Bdouble or road train.

Interested to see that the solution is to "slow down a bit and then accelerate when the trucks going past". Must be every driver in SA follows that advice - especially in overtaking lanes. Amazing how many times I've gone to overtake someone after being stuck behind them for ages, only to find myself involved in some kind of drag race in the overtaking lane!

Thanks again for the advice..
FollowupID: 331872

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:06

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:06
Yeah, I know what ya mean about the "overtaking-lane-derby"...
I certainly wasn't suggesting that one should be trying to out-accelerate the overtaking vehicle, rather a steady, consistent "power-on" approach, but you do need to be PULLING the 'van when that wind gust hits it up the backside...
"W" makes a valid point (below), I believe, re the Friction Sway Control...
No doubt that this would make a significant difference, but I still believe it's driver skill & awareness (or lack thereof) that is a major contributing factor in these type of incidents...
Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331878

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 14:46

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 14:46
if the images are good, mail em to me, I'll up them..
AnswerID: 71515

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 18:00

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 18:00
To Truckster,
Remember you are answering to the " computer dumb computer illiterate old brigade car salesman here once it gets past talking & driving you have lost me DO I need your email address to do it or WHAT, they are only out of paper but should come up OK on scanner ?????????????????????
FollowupID: 331723

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 22:40

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 22:40
yea scan them in, see how they turn out. If they look ok, mail em thru.
fu_kew at hotmail dot com is email addy.
FollowupID: 331780

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 22:57

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 22:57
Trucster Thanks I will try you seem to be computer expert, just got find scissotrs to cut the paper
AnswerID: 71600

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 08:45

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 08:45
and some clag to paste it into the screen. Truckster will be able to get it from there.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 331815

Follow Up By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:04

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:04
I emailed them to you Friday night weren,t they good enough, we seem to have lost Truckster since
FollowupID: 331904

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:57

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:57
Trucksters prolly away for the weekend, I dont think he's lost. and yes i saw them, I was making a tongue in cheek comment regarding your scissors statement.

All in life is not what it seems hahahahaah or is it all serious
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 331910

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:04

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:04
Bonz,
That sounds too hard for computer illiterate ME, emails & forums hard enough,
& re clag
I never got the chance to use it @ school & thats probably why I cannot do it on the computer
I spent all my time @ school outside headmasters office for talking too much,
as I said to teacher @ reunion last year
@ school they penalised us for talking & now make a living from it,
its a wonder cannot sue them for freedom of speech or something!.
I emailed them to Truckster & I will leave it up to you computer experts to handle it.
AnswerID: 71629

Reply By: Member - Crocbit (NT) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:56

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:56
G'day All,

Yep, we see it here in the NT too (we have ROAD TRAINS), and do they really stir up the 'grey nomads' ... especially those without experience towing, or controlling a 4x4 and van!

Saw one on the Victoria Hwy, dropped a wheel off the bitumen and into the gravel when letting a road train PASS, then lost it getting back on ....result just a caravan chassis and all and sundry strewn every where....

Really put's a damper on the trip.

Don
AnswerID: 71636

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 11:33

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 11:33
I can see on the photo, car & van upside down hanging around a tree, Hayman Reese level ride bars are there.
In USA where Hayman Reese originated most use Light Trucks as tow vehicles more popular than sedans like here
They do not need level ride as mich so major Hayman Reece sales over there would be Friction Sway Control I would imagine.
Hayman Reese sell plenty here as level rides which sedans & vans need but you rarely see one that has got the Friction Sway Control sold & fitted as well
I believe if they had Friction Sway Control fitted they would still be on their way to enjoy the sunshine.
Once you fit the sway control with trailer it takes the " hold on " out of the equation,
with cars or 4wds $40000 & Caravans $30000
approx $1000 or $1500 between the 2 makes sense to me but how many do you see who take the cheap way out & have the dramas we see here.
AnswerID: 71639

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:53

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:53
I wonder how many of these accidents are due to heavy cross winds. When a truck passes in either direction suddenly the cross wind effect is blanketed and
your vehicle with or without trailer wants to move towards the passing truck then back again as it clears your air space. Pretty spooky even without a trailer.
AnswerID: 71695

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:14

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:14
REPLY To BONZ,
No seriousness here,
life goes on regardless,
It is just that I am too dumb & computer ILLITERATE to know how to post a photo out of paper on here.
AnswerID: 71734

Sponsored Links