Camp cooking

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1535 Views:6577 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I need the basics in camp cooking! We are doing Cape York next month. The longest camp out I've done previous to this was 2 weeks, and husband recons I took the whole kitchen and pantry with me(and we were within an hour of shops too!), I've been ordered to cut back due to space now needed for car spares etc.
What "must haves" do you usually use in utensils etc?, what are you cooking on? What are you eating? I know this sounds basic but I'm a microwave girl.
Any hints appreciated,
Dianna (family of 2 Adults, 1 Child 4yrs)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross - Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00
Hi there Dianna. Don't know if it will be of any help to you but two women locally here in gladstone have actually written a book about the very thing you are asking about. It is called A Woman's Look at Camping and is available at Barbeques Galore, Dawson Road Gladstone for $16.95. In case you are wondering, no i have nothing to do with the book at all. To be quite honest with you i havent even read it but there was a review in our local paper about it and they reckoned it was the ducks nuts. And a couple of other people have said it is very helpful as well as intertaining. I figure you could go to a local barbeques Galore shop and get them to get one from Gladstone for you. My wife just said that the two women and their families had just came back from a trip to the Cape and that was what made them decide to write the book. Anyway hope this helps you out. If you do manage to get the book and it turns out to be a load ofbleepplease don't hold it against me.
Ross
AnswerID: 5009

Reply By: Ross - Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Dianna me again. Just thaught i had best say that that is Gladstone Queensland i was talking aboutas there are a couple of Gladstones in Australia and i don't know what state you are from.
Happy camping.
Ross
AnswerID: 5010

Follow Up By: Dianna - Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

THANKS Ross,
Sounds like just the thing I need! I'll check it out. (no responsibility for it's content noted *lol*) I have been checking the internet, heaps of Yanky links, not too sure how practical they are. We might end up with more than weat-bix/vegemite sandwiches/baked bean jaffles after all :)
Dianna
FollowupID: 2149

Reply By: Cashy - Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

Dianna,

What you take really depends on what you like to eat and how long you plan on travelling each day. If you aim to get in to camp around 3pm then you have time to cook any tthing from a steak on a bar-b-que to a roast in the campoven. When I went last year we worked out the menu in advance and then boughty all the meat in the right size and got it cryovaced, which helps it last for longer in the fridge with out being frozen. Dinners varied from steak, curry, and even a nice roast. It takes planning but it makes it a lot easier in the long run. WHat you should take is some mixed herd for flavouring ( the one I like is McCormacks Bush spices). They go really well on steak, chicken, and fish. If you take some alfoil and are lucky enough to catch some barra then put some spices on it and wrap it in foil and cook for about 10 mins on a barby plate, this also works for chicken breast ( about 15mins to cook). Cassaroles can also be cooked in a campoven. Cans of patatoes, corn, and other vegies also make it easy to heat and can be stored easily and also taste alright in a cassarole. Hope this gives you some ideas. Cashy
AnswerID: 5019

Reply By: paul - Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00
Go to the www.overlander.com.au site and get to their General forum and go back into the archives looking for recipes, I and other posted so many recipes there it should get you started.
AnswerID: 5023

Reply By: johnsy - Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00
Dianna,first get 1 milk crate fill with two camp ovens stacked and that will give two hot plates two shallow frypans two woks two camp ovens used upside down pizza is on the menu with left overs now let your imagination take over.O nearly forgot their your dish washer as well.cya
AnswerID: 5045

Follow Up By: Dianna - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
OK you've got me intriged here, the whole kitchen stacked into one milk crate?, great! Current list was frypan,billy,kettle,saucepans,hotplate,bbq rack, small gas bbq and gas bottle, and all sorts of "just in case" junk, taking up 2 plastic storage boxes with lids. As you can see I have no idea and really appreciate all the hints, thankyou.
FollowupID: 2161

Follow Up By: Maree - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00
OK Johnsy - I'm another novice, so can you explain how you get all those bits of equipment out of two camp ovens, ie which bits do you use as a frypan etc?? To those who use these all the time I know that sounds dumb, but c'mon we need help from you experts. I'm assuming that's what you meant.
FollowupID: 2175

Follow Up By: Johnsy - Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00
Marree there is nothing dumber than the ? never asked ! Using a pair of quality multi or vice grips invert the lids and place on the coals /gas frying pan the wok is the base only the bbq plate is the lids and bases untill you have enough cooking area (spud sweet potatoe pumkin chips are done in the base)pepper stake take steak out make sauce in thelid with cooking juicesreplace steak add vegs and eat off lid less washing .pizza put lid in coals with base and topping and using the handle and a bit of wire invert oven the top.hope this gives you an insight johnsy cya
FollowupID: 2198

Reply By: Allyn - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Master the camp oven and you'll never cook any other way again !
I think Viv Moon has a great recipe book on the market and her recipes have always been great fun to try for me (I've only tried 2 but you know what I mean). I believe Jack Absalom has a cracker of a camp oven cook book on the market also.

cheers
Allyn
AnswerID: 5056

Follow Up By: Member - Tony - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Spot on, Allyn. I've got the Absalom book (Outback Cooking in the Camp Oven) and it's great. My tip for camp ovens is try and find one with a wide lid; lessens the chance of coals & dirt dropping in when lifting off. Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 2162

Reply By: Dianna - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thankyou to everyone for your answers, I've got lots of usefull tips from all of them

It seems camp ovens are popular and worth having, what sort do most recommend? I've seen the cast iron types and another of steel? with a lid that fits right over the top. I'm guessing that you use them the same way?

Hi Allyn, re: Absalom book
My father inlaw(a seasoned traveller in his day, and not one to let facts blur a good story) gave me the Absalom book a while back, I'll give it a good look now.
I'll admit I thought he was making a joke at the time, I didn't think people still used them. OOps I'd better give him a ring
AnswerID: 5065

Follow Up By: Allyn - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Cast Iron I believe is best. I carry the one that fits perfectly inside a milk crate as someone already advised you. I also have the smallest one that fits inside beautifully and is good for rice and boiled vegetables. Can't believe you thought people were not using camp ovens!!! If it were legal I'd dig a hole in my backyard and cook with one most winter nights.
Tips : Pre-heating the oven is essential to good meals especially roasts.
Carry a pair of welding gloves for handling ovens (about $10 and one of the best camping items you'll pack).
Use a long handled lifting device for lid (you can make one from solid wire if nothing handy springs to mind.
Get an oven with a good high lip on it's lid to avoid the coals falling in as already suggested. Carry a natural fibre brush for sweeping off coals etc before lifting lid. Also use your lifting wire to spin lid prior to brushing as this will rid you of excess coals also.
Be careful where you place hot oven once dinner is served, especially with billy lids around and wait for it to cool somewhat before hitting it with water.
You can also buy stainless steel doovalacky thingamyjigs that fit nicely in bottom of oven and allows minimal burning to bottom of roasts.
Now I'm salivating ! Happy Camping
FollowupID: 2163

Follow Up By: Allyn - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

AND - pack a cake tin that will fit inside your oven. I use the rectangular one for meatloafs and bread but have used round one with success also.
FollowupID: 2164

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Yes and please don't forget that we stock 3 good cookbooks on ExplorOz in the Adventure Shop. These 3 books have been selected because they are top sellers and the recipes are great. Go check them out.And by the way, yours truely is also in the middle of writing a camping cook book - what I hit that will be!!! tee hee hee But you'll have to wait for that one to hit the shelves.
AnswerID: 5071

Reply By: johnsy - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Dianna im still unpacking from 3 wks around mataranka and my wife has just shown me a gas camp oven called the king cooker gas attachment for the hillbilly bushranger and bushking camp ovens she saw it in action at the alice show and was impressed .their address is www.food path.com.au/hillbilly -emailhillbilly@bluep.com so some thing else to think about and dont forget to make your own bread laukes is a good one=easy also corned siverside.cya
AnswerID: 5077

Reply By: Dianna - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thankyou everybody, I'm glad I found this forum. I'm not so stressed about coping now and am actually looking foreward to giving the camp oven a go. And now Mr will have to stop at a decent time if he wants a meal rather than pushing on and setting up in the dark as has been our habit - and who feels like cooking then!
So the revised list is: Milk crate containing- 2nested camp ovens with wide edged lids,cake tin,roasting rack insert, welding gloves,nat fibre brush,long handled hooks,alfoil,tongs,eggflip,cutlery,canopener,and billy for water,mugs,plates,bowls. Anything I've missed? I really am trying to keep it to bare basics. I love that the camp oven can do all those things replacing the need for frypans etc... Now to check out the books mentioned, plan the menu, get supplies and some of that McCormacks Bush spices!.......... Oh. will we need the gas bottle and BBQ or can you build a fire at most camp sites??( in regard to Cape York)
AnswerID: 5081

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Diannna
Only wish I was coming all this talk of food ...and the cooking of the same

I would like to add...make the cooking of meals all part of the trip and HOLIDAY and don't make the mistake of slaving whilst the old man sits back ......enjoy ...both of you
Brian
AnswerID: 5150

Reply By: Angela Davis - Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Dianna,

You might want to look up this site too:

http://www.sogold.au.com/tommos/products/index.htm

Tommo seems to have some good ideas and some good recipes.

Angela
AnswerID: 5155

Sponsored Links