Vehicle theft

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 00:15
ThreadID: 15368 Views:1747 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I was skipping through the archive when i came across post 14437 from Firey who reported some low life germ had stolen his vehicle. I know this is shutting the gate after the horse has bolted but I recommend the fitting of a shut of valve on the fuel line, a mate of mine used one with great success on his prime mover. When he realised it was gone he simply called police and reported where it was heading and how soon it would run out of fuel. The funny side is that the cops were nearby and simply drove behind it and waited for it to roll to a stop and then arrested the villan.
His is positioned under the drivers seat toward the rear and due to prior testing he knew that once shut off the vehicle would travel no further than 500 meters to 1 kilometer. The reason i bought this up is because I thought this would make an exellent addition to any 4WD vehicle which the owner may intend to leave for long periods on riverbanks, jetties etc. Now I dont know if the fitting of such a valve is legal but i would rather pay the fine than have to replace a vehicle such as Fireys.
I dont know if you got your vehicle back mate but if not i hope the thief contracts something painful and permanent that involves swelling in the groin region.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 09:55

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 09:55
Funny you should bring this up again Nanna

I have been wondering about theft for some time now and i was thinking to myself.... How hard would it be to setup a tracking device that works of GPS systems. I am no sparky ok but i cant see that it would be impossible to do. Maybe a chip in the GPS or something. I would assume the GPS which belongs to the actual car owner would only work with that 1 car.
Anyone got any ideas on this, I cant see that it would be impossible. Its been on my mind for a while now. I know they have tracking devices for cars already through overpriced security people. If we could use that tech and use it to track our won car through our own GPS , wouldnt that be sweet.

Any idea would be welcome guys
Angelo
AnswerID: 71628

Follow Up By: nanna - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:34

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:34
Youre right Angelo it probably isnt impossible, but if things run true to form the mongerels would have the disabling of such a system worked out before it became readily available. Remember the world famous theft proof mercedes that was broken into live on tv in less than 60 seconds, and it had only just become available for sale thw previuos month. The main benifit is that unlike high tech devices which require hardwiring at specific points under the dash or in the engine bay a valve can be just about anywhere you like. The shut off valve lets the dirtbag think he's free and clear and the vehicle simply breaks down during the getaway. Since it can only travel a short distance the chances of recovery are pretty good as they are too close to the scene of the crime for roadside diagnostics and are more likely to simply abandon the vehicle.
But having said that your idea has merit and hopefully something may be achieved in this area. Sadly if you are like me you wouldnt be able to afford it anyway.

Cheers,
Wayne

FollowupID: 331823

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 20:52

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 20:52
It would be easy but costly. Most taxis in South Australia after a spate of robberies on taxi drivers, thefts etc, have satellite tracking now. Don't know who would track for the private market though.
FollowupID: 331863

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:53

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:53
OK, the shut off valve sounds like a great idea.

This would amount to starving the fuel system of fuel, but they warn ULP vehicle from not running out of fuel from possible damage to the Catalytic Converter and the old diesel systems didn't like to be starved either (having to hand prime fuel pumps etc)

So should this be done to ULP vehicles, it sound wonderfull idea to me.

Regards
AnswerID: 71652

Follow Up By: nanna - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 13:17

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 13:17
Yep relacing cataltyic converters is a cost you can do without and priming fuel pumps is a royal pain especially if you have large air pockets in the lines and pump. But weighed up against stolen vehicles and all the equipment lost when the vehicle is unable to be recovered for days or weeks if at all, I am willing to risk it. As mentioned on other posts you may have a hell of a battle getting your insurance company to replace the vehicle. But are they going to come good for potentially thousands of dollars worth of equipment and radios you had stored in the vehicle. As we know insurance companies are soooo compasionate.

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 331838

Reply By: easygoing - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 20:43

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 20:43
The same idea saved my old Cortina. It disapeared from the shopping center car park some years ago I only had to walk about 70mtrs to find it abandoned still hot wired run out of fuel .I did intend wiring it to the fuel gauge so it showed empty when the tap was turned off but never got round to it. Simple idea you just have to remember to turn it back on when you start up
AnswerID: 71682

Reply By: daren - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:45

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:45
If you dont want a fuel tap inside your car, which might be a bit undesirable for high presure fuel injection systems. It might be a bit easier to put in a fuel solinoid inthe fuel line and have a switch inside the car which might be like a demister switch or some thing. I have a simular system for my 2nd fuel tank on my car.
AnswerID: 71694

Reply By: Member - Bear - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 21:14

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 21:14
Brant Security is set to release A new gps tracking system in either Sept or Nov (cant remember) I have there current unit which can be upgraded without to much cost.

I have used there imob on a few vehicles now and have found it great - after having 2 Prados stolen I have since had no probs after changing to Brant.
AnswerID: 71801

Reply By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 21:33

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 21:33
Hi nanna
That was my post you referr to I havn't recovered the vehicle and the insurance co are trying to screw me as well over all the accessories see post (14876)
Funny you should say about the fuel shut off, I was going to see my diesel mechanic about that very set up, if only I went one day earlier ????
My next 4x4 will certainly have something similar and I've also been thinking about a "BIG BLOODY SNAKE" Too
Cheers
Barry / Firey
AnswerID: 71803

Follow Up By: nanna - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 23:38

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 23:38
Hey Firey,
Im real sorry to hear your rig hasnt turned up. So I can only hope my prayer for something permanent and painful comes through.
Love the snake idea go for a king brown or taipan as theyre not known for social graces. Read your post concerning insurance companies screwing you and that was about what i expected to hear. Lets face it some of them are only 2 steps above the mongerel that took your rig.
If you need to go public about this dont forget John Laws he should be right in your corner, after all it was a Toyota, and he can embarress the buggers Australia wide.

Good luck mate I hope it works out.

Cheers,
Wayne

FollowupID: 331993

Reply By: muppo - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 22:08

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 22:08
There is a GPS based tracker it called Quiktrac costs about $1500 and is just about complusory on a Subaru WRX for insurance companies to insure them.
AnswerID: 71811

Sponsored Links