Cobb Frying and Pizza Pan

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 19:05
ThreadID: 15383 Views:5670 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have a Cobb stove and have never been successful cooking steaks. Roast's are fine, cakes get a little burnt underneath. has anyone tried the Cobb Frying and Pizza Pan for steaks ?

Any suggestions for cooking cakes so they don't get the underneath burnt ?

Thanks
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 20:31

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 20:31
Glad I didn't buy one!
AnswerID: 71681

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:26

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:26
Hi Phil,

We also have had teething problems with our Cobb, however, we've finally got it right . . . I think! We bought a stainless steel wire teapot stand from the $2 shop (for $2) and stood it on the Cobb tray. If you stand your cake tin on this, it won't burn underneath as the heat circulates around more evenly.

As far as cooking steak goes, I don't think the Cobb gets hot enough for a good charcoaled steak. It's great for cutlets, roasts, chicken wings etc. though. Keep trying, it took us a few attempts to get things right.

If you phone Cobb they will send you a cook book which has a few good recipes and hints.

Good Luck,
Lynn
AnswerID: 71691

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:08

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:08
I'm with you Shaker I think. I'm rather amazed that they cost $179.90 and are a solid fuel burning stove with a lid. It seems to me thay rank with the so called cooker - I forget the name - but you have to cook the food first and then leave it all day in the "cooker" which is actually just a very well insulated container with no heat source. I think folks are always keen to rush to "new inventions". Frankly I'll stay with my camp oven and 2 burner gas stove and wok and pots.
AnswerID: 71699

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:22

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:22
Mick
Don,t knock mit till you,ve tried it, I was slightly sceptical when I bought mine, but know its one of the first items in the truck when I go away. Sure it doesn't charcoal (blacken) the steaks, like the old Barby, but SWMBO and I use ours to cook nearly all meals and they make great tent warmers, they're not affected by fire bans or wet weather. BTW we also take our 2burner gas stove but find the Cobb is easier to use and cleaning is a breeze.
Cheers
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331894

Follow Up By: Mick - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:31

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:31
Mike be very careful taking it into your tent for heating - absolutely frought with danger. Don't even bother checking with any expert in the fire safety field as they'll yell NO WAY!!!!
FollowupID: 331908

Follow Up By: Ross - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 16:00

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 16:00
Camp oven on stove for minimal dollars must be better than $179 and those accursed heat beads
FollowupID: 332051

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:50

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:50
Hi Phil

I wonder if you tried the hint (page 2) in their recipes and handy hints booklet.

"If you want more heat to bbq thick quality steaks, try inverting the basket - ie. feet down into the fire chamber. This will raise the level of the fuel to create more heat. Do this only with the Omni accessory Fry and Pizza Pan it could damage the coating on the Cobb grill"

I think in previous posts someone did this and said it worked better for bbq's. I don't have this pan to try it.

I cooked my damper which is pictured in a previous post straight on the grill but it was in the heat after cooking a roast and although the bottom was crisp it wasn't burnt.

I think there is a place for the Cobb in camp cooking. Personally I thought it was an alternative when fire bans are in place.

Carolyn
AnswerID: 71705

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 19:35

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 19:35
Carolyn,
AFAIK here in SA they are not permitted to be used in times of fire bans (here, that means between November and May each year). I have one and we were going to use it at Easter when we were camped at Coffin Bay NP. The ranger said that no solid fuel cookers could be used, even inside a camper trailer or caravan etc.
We've had our Cobb for a couple of years, but haven't used it as much as we should (too many other toys). Maybe on our upcoming Cape York trip??
FollowupID: 331965

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:57

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:57
Ty for that Roachie, can you use gas stoves during that time? Carolyn
FollowupID: 331995

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:40

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:40
G'day Carolyn,
Gas stoves are okay all the time AFAIK.
Also, it may be different in other states. Here in SA there is an automatic fire restriction policy during the summer months. In NSW where i used to live, fires were okay except on days of total fire bans (as long as you were sensible about it of course).
Catchya later.....
FollowupID: 332008

Sponsored Links