Diesel v petrol

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:42
ThreadID: 15385 Views:1957 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am fairly sure that I will go Turbo diesel for my next 4wd purchase, but am interested in the views of others re the pros and cons of diesel engines. I've heard people talking about the poor quality of the fuel available in Australia and the problems it causes from time to time. Are fuel problems common for diesel 4wd owners? How about performance and economy? I do realise that I'll be sacrificing some power but gaining low down torque and economy. Having had petrol cruisers for some years I'm very familiar with their performance characteristics, relaibility, ease of use etc.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:57

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 22:57
not again!

Read the recent post with about a million replys.
AnswerID: 71696

Follow Up By: Mick - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:19

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:19
Sorry John but I wasn't aware of the recent post with a million replies. I bet at least 999,000 of them were off the track though - you know how it gets when people start picking and rambling on. I'll have a look for it nevertheless.
FollowupID: 331880

Follow Up By: schevchenko - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:27

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:27
John C - I see you have designated yourself site disciplinarian! How? Why?
Even repeated posts may unearth totally different and valuable feedback.
FollowupID: 331895

Follow Up By: Member - John C (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:54

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:54
Point taken.

It was late, I'd just read the old post.

Going to my corner now.

BTW - Diesel. ;-)
FollowupID: 331903

Follow Up By: schevchenko - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 15:46

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 15:46
;)
cheers
FollowupID: 331927

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:00

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:00
Post 15182
AnswerID: 71697

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:05

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:05
Hi Mick,
I am on my second GQ Diesel. First one had 600,000 Kms on clock....no problems, just lacking power. This one i have now is turbo Diesel 4.2. Lots more power.

AS far as poor fuel quality goes, well i cant fix that, we get what we are given. Still I have to say I have never had any problems with fuel in both cars.
I have alwasy believed that regular servicing is the secret. Keep an eye on the after market fuel filter and when in doubt ..replace it.

Regards Angelo
AnswerID: 71698

Follow Up By: Mick - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:16

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:16
Thanks Angelo - well if you have done over 600,000 with no problems from poor fuel, it would seem that the quality can't be all that bad. I had some friends who couldn't start their diesels when they were snowed in unexpectedly one January in the high country. That was an unusual circumstance, but the petrol vehicles in the party had no problems starting. Not really sure if that was due to poor fuel or not having the "winter mix" in their tanks. As the day warmed up a bit they were able to get started.
FollowupID: 331879

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:27

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 23:27
No problem Mate,
You can get bad fuel in both diesel and petrol, I have had bad fuel in mine, but i always check my car after filling it when i get home. The fuel bowl tells me if its good or dirty. If its dirty, it comes out, and fuel filter is replaced.
The snow trip problem is not a poor fule thing though. It would have been what you said.....No winter mix in tank.
Cant blame diesels for that. We all make mistakes and you learn from them.
FollowupID: 331881

Reply By: Stuart - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:54

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:54
My previous 4x4 was a 95 pajero 3L petrol, it absolutley guzzeled the fuel, but was not lacking in power or reliability, l now own a standard(it isn't very standard though) 91 80 series diesel, the economy is very noticable compared to the pajero, but the lack of power when you hit the hills is too! a turbo would fix this problem, but it doen't bother me, just the people behind, ha ha ha. I was just up in the snow behind MT Buller yesterday and we had no problems with the fuel, just bloody cold toes! Anyway hope this helps.......Stuart
AnswerID: 71706

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:22

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:22
I have a naturally aspirated GQ and love the low down torque, a small pice to pay for sacrificing the high end power, have long ago decided that our next truck will be a turbo-diesel!
And don't worry too much about the other posts with the million replies mate... if everyone who posted here simply searched the archives and read the replies, there'd probably be hardly any movement on the forum at all!!!!!!!
My motto is "Theres no such thing as silly questions, just silly answers!!"
AnswerID: 71713

Follow Up By: schevchenko - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:09

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:09
Too true Brian - I have noticed the first responses to a post are often the grumpy ones ready to point out something that they think renders the post pointless. This post may well flush out more useful info for us all.
FollowupID: 331892

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:08

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:08
A mate of mine had a Nissan Patrol TD and towed a 2.75 tonne (over loaded ) fully equipped motel on wheels. He averaged 18 litres per 100 at highway speeds. He said he travelled with a mate of his with a 4.2 l ulp patrol with a similar rig and consistantly got 35l per 100.

To me that says it all.

Russell

AnswerID: 71719

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:35

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:35
After selling 4wds for years I usually find
" a customers first thoughts are HIS/HER best thoughts to suit their needs & normally invariably what they keep swinging back to & eventually buy"
You stated you are fairly certain you will go diesel but looking for support.
On this forum no doubt you are hearing & listening to hard core 4wd fanatics who have usually had more than one.
Look under the heading members , then go to members rigs & follow down the list, on a quick look without opening up every site to check out photo or history I think that seems to give diesel the " vote ".
We find the " retention of value" in diesel alone is worthy of consideration,
My opinion is 4wd heavy vehicles are " trucks", & trucks go the diesel, cars go the petrol.
Enjoy whatever you decide
AnswerID: 71721

Reply By: baza - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:57

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:57
I'm in a similar boat, or should that be car. I was almost convinced to go diesel (new prado) but after doing some rough numbers (based on the prado) I am now not sure. The extra servicing costs on the diesel basically make up for the difference in fuel costs. Please note I will not be towing off road, or much on road, I think heavy towing would see the diesel back out in front.
The petrol prado has a huge power advantage over the diesel (witnessed in soft sand) and the new 5 speed auto means I can go auto to keep the wife happy (I prefer manual, but 5 speed auto is ok).
Availability of fuel is the other thing to consider I am told, I think the prado has enough range for most areas, might need a jerry or 2. Just my opinion.
AnswerID: 71852

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 14:05

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 14:05
Mick,
Diesel, Diesel, Diesel, not that I'm biased or anything, if you have fears of poor fuel quality fit a secondary fuel filter, a CAV one will cost about $100, easy to fit and the filters only cost about $6 each. I thought the servicing costs where cheaper on a diesel than a petrol. The reliability of the diesel will always win me over, no spark plugs, coil etc etc, I have a fear of water with the old Rangie, the water loves the electrical system I have a can of WD40 mounted to the inner wing.
Went to a mud gymkhana yesterday LC 100 series coming up to 25K on the clock from new, smashed the front diff crownwheel he thinks, very sad and expensive, not that this has got anything to do with your question about petrol V diesel I just wanted to tell someone.........
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 71871

Sponsored Links