Gibb River road

Submitted: Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:23
ThreadID: 15411 Views:2818 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Planning a trip up the Kimberleys with a few male only mates, no wifes, that's going to be a bal. We will be towing a custom made camper trailer, still on the drawing board. Question, how bad/good is the Gibb River road. Will be pushing up the Mitchell Plateau. Going around july next year.
Got a 97 LC80 with a lift kit fitted.
For the trailer,what would be the best suspension.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sean - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:44

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:44
How good / bad - depends on when the grader goes through.

Trailer Suspension. IMHO- Solid Beam axle.

Sean
AnswerID: 71830

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:34

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:34
When I was there three years ago it was pretty good. Lots of relativley "standard" camper trailers. Watch the speed because there are quite a few sand traps mixed with normal corragations.
I was in a 4by with OE highway tyres and got two punctures. I have a safety seal repair kit and fixed both on the car witout taking the wheel off. Got the tyres professional fixed after I got home.
Don't mis Bell's Gorge. Get there early afternoon and take a tag for a private camping spot. Most are big enough for several cars.
AnswerID: 71858

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:36

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:36
PS the Pentacost River at the Kunanura end of the GRR is fantastic spot for Bara.
FollowupID: 332016

Reply By: Member - Crocbit (NT) - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 15:27

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 15:27
G'day,

I did the GRR 18 months ago, had a standard 6x8 camper, no problems, and as above, depends on when the grader goes through, and also the quantity of 'grey nomads'.

Doesn't matter what type of trailer as long as you take it easy!! saw a high cost 4x4 trailer with shocks and coils punched though the chequeplate floor on both sides and a few with the a frame missing. Otherwise a good trip. If you can do the Mornington track, diamond gorge....magnifico!. Also gets you away from the crowd.

If doing the Mitchell Plateau suggest you talk to John Koeyers (@Drysdale River) and ascertain the road condition first, you can leave trailer there (and tent it for a day).. Also consider the beach north of Kalumburu!! Camp on beach, great fishing, need permit Kalumburu council.

Cheers, Don
AnswerID: 71888

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 16:21

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 16:21
What's the problem with the grey-nomads? Not one yet but love to be!
Product of the baby-boomers!
FollowupID: 332053

Reply By: Member - Crocbit (NT) - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 17:33

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 17:33
G'day

Mate I too am a "baby boomer" (1952!!)

however there is a generic term gaining acceptance up here in the Top End and Kimberley ie the "grey nomad" who are usually non educated in the ways of 'the bush", 4x4, camping and caravanning, and general courtesy towards other road users and local property owners.( EXCLUDING EO members, contributors, visitors, and those courteous travellers!!).

Can quote some 'howlers' from this species!!!!! (ie parking some metres down the beach from the high water mark and reporting car stolen on return, returning to spot with Police to see roofrack emerging from hi tide etc - 8 m tides here!!)

AnswerID: 71906

Reply By: Member - Bear - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:59

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:59
G'day

Took a C/Trailer over Gibb late last year. We did have some problems and I learnt alot about suspension.

Best bet I think is eye to eye leaf about 750kgs to 1.25t each side. Use the 60mm wide leaf and get them to maybe drop 1 leaf out if you wont need this much weight capacity.

The larger weight leaf is the way to go - if you are still worried then put the cheap air bags in to stop any bounce. I think they are about $200 and sit above the axe.

Also use the 50mm square axe.

Good luck..

AnswerID: 72096

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 17:35

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 17:35
Jeff Riles or Ryles Guns and Ammo in Derby has one of the best Trailer spares store around. He is a nice bloke and doesn't rip people off as some other repairers do up that way. He also has the best supply of fishing Tackle in Derby too and he make the ice for the town too. So if you have trailer probe you can getbuts from him.
AnswerID: 72164

Sponsored Links