Canning and Mechanical Failures

Submitted: Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 16:46
ThreadID: 15425 Views:3425 Replies:11 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
People

I have just done a trip down the CSR and wow!!!! - what a trip.

In 20 days that we were on the canning we know of the following - each on seperate vehicles.

- Trailer with snapped off stub (independent suspension).
- Broken sping on fourby
- Fire in underbody insulation, melting auto box wiring and then limp mode.
- melted shock covers on new shocks (major offroad company branded)
- airbag failure
- another airbag failure
- power steering pipes fatigue cracking off and fluid lost
- winch gearbox rattled loose and would not hold wire
- lost antennas
- driving light rattled to bits (self destructed)
- tail light wiring on late model broke loose due to vibration.
- cracked underbody water tank on trailer (lost all water)
- cracked roof rack
- cracked fuel tank
- cracked exhaust system
- broken exhaust system
- dislocated rear axle (all diff oil lost)
- another broken stub on trailer with independent suspension
- and another broken suspension on trailer (independent)
- and again another broken trailer suspension (independent)
- fuel injection leak
- bolts and nuts coming loose and falling off
- exhaust system coming loose (another)
- flat and staked tyres
- steering box failure

and the best if not least - a late model TD IFS cruiser dropping off both front wheels with fatigue failure of both wishbones. Oh what a feeling that must of been.

And sorry to dissapoint, I did not see any 3 litre nissans blown up.

and most intersting, there were 2 suzuki swifts that did the lower half from south to north (where we say them) and NO Problems at all in these little 2 door FWD cars running on 8psi on the harder dunes that had some Patrols and Cruisers stuck.

Sean

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 16:58

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 16:58
Are you saying the wheels dropped off, or the torsion bars broke out of the lower arms causing the car to sit on the bumpstops?

Have been afew with uprated T bars which have broken the A arm mount off of late.

If they did literally "fall off" did you get any pics?
AnswerID: 71899

Follow Up By: sean - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:37

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:37
Front end separated from the vehicle. I did not actually see it. Heard about it then got to talk to the guy who flat topped it out.

And that reminds me of another mech failure. We helped to get him going after finding a spare bolt to fix his gearbox selector that fell off.

Sean
FollowupID: 332074

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:45

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:45
Well that has to be a first, if its actually factually correct.
FollowupID: 332077

Reply By: Peter Guy - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 17:03

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 17:03
Well done on completing the trip. What sort of vehicle is yours and did you have any problems??
AnswerID: 71901

Follow Up By: sean - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:43

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:43
Our group had 6 different vehicles from new to old and a trailer. All had some sort of minor or not so minor problem. None serious.

There was just about every brand and model doing the trip and many had nothing serious to report. There were lost of IFS vehicles that had no suspension related problems. You can break anything if you try hard enough.

Sean
FollowupID: 332076

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:08

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:08
Doesn't say much for the modern 4bies.

Then again, ten years agoI busted two new front shockies within the first few days on a north/south trek. The battery came adrift and the carbie played up. Mostly due to corrugations and the chopped out dunes on the south side. I was driving a 15yo FJ 55 at the time. On the Gunbarrel more stuff rattled loose. Was running 15 to 20psi on the Canning and 25psi on the Gunbarrel.

Most of the problems relate to vehicles being overloaded and incorrect tyre pressures. Trouble is one needs most of the stuff you carry.
AnswerID: 71911

Follow Up By: Jimbo (WA) - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 19:45

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 19:45
Willem,

I agree with you about - "Most of the problems relate to vehicles being overloaded and incorrect tyre pressures"

But I would put first on the list, "driving too fast over corrugations".

The last time I did the CSR was with a mate in a 3.5 tonne overloaded GQ, and we did not have a single problem but ran into plenty who did - including a guy who was waiting at Kunawaritji for an air drop of replacement shocks and springs.

All of the dramas in Sean's list could be avoided if people travelled slower when required. On some patches of corrugations we were just tooling along at about 20kph in 2nd gear.

And anyway, why would you rush to get it over?
FollowupID: 332086

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 20:34

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 20:34
Reckon you guys have it right with "the more haste, less speed" accomplished.

I wonder above though what airbags are mentioned as having gone. Were they suspension ones or the protective ones in vehicles. I know I don't require a rough road for the SRS light to come on with my Germerican.
FollowupID: 332093

Follow Up By: sean - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 15:46

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 15:46
Aibags were suspension inside coils. One was new.
FollowupID: 332204

Reply By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:11

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:11
g'day everyone,i came accross the mentioned turbo diesel 100 series with the broken front end on the windy corner road 80 klms east of the canning.that part of the track wasn't rough at all.they were well set up with kimberley camper,satphone etc .they were waiting for the truck from capricorn to come out.i had a couple of beers with them and headed on my way. cheers sparra.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 71971

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:37

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:37
Can you confirm had the wheels actually completly fallen off as suggested, or the t bar mount was broken on the A arms?
FollowupID: 332170

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:51

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:51
Windy corner, now there's a busy little intersection. I feel sorry for the broken down travellers. There can't be many places more isolated to have things go wrong.
FollowupID: 332184

Reply By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:54

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:54
sounds like one needs to have a credit card with a Very Large credit limit if doing this trek
AnswerID: 72003

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:39

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:39
IM with you on that, its one thing that sorta makes me think twice about doing it.
its not the cost of fuel, spares, etc its if something major goes poo, like a box, or engine, or if you drive one of thembleepty yotas, the front end falling out LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH WHAT A FEELING....
FollowupID: 332183

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:58

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:58
should I ever do the trek and the front falls out of my tojo i'll just ring up Nissan and give them my credit card details over the phone so they can send a new one out on the truck!
FollowupID: 332185

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 14:41

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 14:41
Gee, I wish I had $70k on my card!!

then again... no I dont, I have enough issues with $5k limit... :(
FollowupID: 332193

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 16:58

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 16:58
nah...only half the price ...at least thats all they're worth lol lol
FollowupID: 332218

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:25

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:25
Not when ya broken down out there, you would be happy to pay anything!!!

Even a Lada would be a joyful site!!
FollowupID: 332286

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:31

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:31
well .....maybe anything else but a lada
FollowupID: 332313

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:24

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:24
Rocksta??
FollowupID: 332339

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:04

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:04
Bloody hell, sounds like people must have been hammering some vehicles, I wonder if they just go too hard up there because of it's reputation of being such a big mission. I have never done the CSR but I did grow up as a kid in Marble Bar and my old man used to drive Telecom Landcruisers, wore out 3 of them in 6 years! I don't think that it's particuarly rough terrain, I would imagine it's the constant day after day belting of these vehicles.
I mean what do we normally do, at most 3 days over the long weekend, most of it on the black top, compared to 15 days or so of full on belt the crap out of your vehicle.
IMHO if these people took it a little easier they would still get through everything and would have a vehicle left at the end to take home with them.

Mind you in saying that I'm as bad as anyone when it comes to giving the 4by a hard time! But normally only on day trips, the further I get away from home the easier I go on the ol' girl.
I suppose the other factor is that these vehicles are probally very well setup, but are probally carrying a lot more supplies, fuel, water, food etc than normally, people probally don't curve their driving style to accomdate this extra load.
AnswerID: 72008

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:36

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:36
Forumites,
Talking about mechanical failures I participated in our club mud gymkhana on Sunday, when I got there the previous day they had a couple of DNF's one being a LC 100 series that hasn't quite got to 25K from new with a rooted front diff and also an older Forerunner with a similar problem, the LC had to have the front drive hubs removed and the front driveshaft taken off to get back home, forerunner was still mobile don't know if it got home at this time. Another "Oh what a feeling". The Rangie survived but weighed about a tonne more with all the mud stuck to the chassis, exhaust system and the wheel guards.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 72015

Follow Up By: crowie - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 14:13

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 14:13
Martyn

Wouldn't be the first 100 series to have front Diff problems. There is a diff. repair place here that reckons that Toyota have thrown him a lifeline with the 100 Series. Don't hear to many toyoterites talking about though.
FollowupID: 332189

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:54

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:54
That's an extraordinary amount of damage and I tend to agree with the others who have said overloaded, too fast, and tyres over inflated.
AnswerID: 72032

Follow Up By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:26

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:26
yeah bob,it is a pretty lonely place out that way,thats why its so good.i heard willem is heading out that way so i stuck an exploroz sticker on the drum at windy corner and also the drum at turnoff to midway well ,so willem won't get lost.i had spent a few days looking around the patience well area. cheers sparra.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 332300

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 14:25

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 14:25
Without seeing the vehicles we would all have to agree that this is a result of - "too much gear and too fast"

I know Subarus are not everyone choice of 'offroad' vehicle, but some of the trips we have done in them prove the point that - regardless of what you drive, you need to be 'conservative'. Good prepartion and taking time to 'smell the roses' is critical.
Here are some examples of trips we have done from Perth (return)-
1997 east from Nullagine via Bocrabee Hill to Rudal R NP - 1 week - no punctures or mech failures
2001 Jigalong/Durba/Calvert/Carnarvon Ra - 3 weeks - 2 punctures, no mech failures
June 2004 Carnegie/Calvert/Carnegie - 2 weeks - 2 punctures on road ??, 1 off road, no mech failures.

Below is an article from the Sunday Times newspaperof WA 18/10/81 to prove the point about preparation and speed.

Six members of WA’s Subaru 4WD Club recently took their vehicles over the Canning Stock Route, which runs ........... Tackling the Canning stock route in 4WD vehicles is now becoming fairly commonplace. What makes the Subaru Clubs effort unique is that the trip was made in the original 1600 Subaru, which even club members admit is a family sedan designed for street driving. Club members wanted to prove that their street cars could do the job and even used the standard two ply radials for the trip. Apart from removing the back seats, adding roof racks and additional shock absorbers on two of them, expedition members kept the Subaru’s as near as possible to standard as possible. "Everyone else who has tried the Stock Route has done so in huge Landcruisers or similar" ......... "We took family cars, where strictly speaking they shouldn't be able to go. I also believe it was the first trip of is kind to be done by Subarus without the help of winches and backup vehicles carrying parts or petrol,". Ten months planing went into the 18-day trip. Members not only studied maps of the region but also boned up on its history, flora and fauna. The three vehicles sell on the trip were two 1976 and one 1979, four cylinder Subaru station wagons powered by 1600cc engines. Each vehicle carried two people and a 550kg load including spares, a medical kit, a high frequency radio and an extra week supply of food. The massive loads caused problems with the extra pumped up shock absorbers. These were removed and the vehicles completed the journey without a hitch on standard shockies. The only other problems on the 1800km trip were two punctures. Tyre pressure were kept at 30psi and not adjusted for the soft sand on the more than 1000 sand dunes encountered, some of them up to 20m high. ......... Some fuel was carried from Wiluna but the expedition had arranged more fuel to be left halfway along route. Average consumption was around 22mpg coupled with an average speed of 15mph. The vehicles ran in 4WD for the whole trip and used only first and second gears. None of the vehicles needed repairs after the trip, ..... "We planned the trip carefully and took it easy and I think that's why the Subarus came out of it so well. We were extremely pleased will their performance." From Halls Creek the expedition drove across to the coast and completed the trip on the blacktop back to Perth.
AnswerID: 72035

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 20:59

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 20:59
Hey Collin,

Do you know a guy from the Subie club in Perth called Mark White? Used to have two Liberties, 1 white and the other grey. Did a trip with the club to central oz in about 95 but remained active with the club for about another two years. He quite tall wife quite short two girls.

Duncs
FollowupID: 332273

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:15

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:15
Sorry Duncs
I don't know that name, but I'm not a member of the Club - maybe an honorary member ? - but I do know quite a few members.

If you are trying to contact that person, get in touch with someone from the Club - use their Web site.

Colin
FollowupID: 332299

Follow Up By: duncs - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 22:20

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 22:20
Colin,

I was just fishing to see if we had something in common. He's my brother. He had quite a good time with the club for a number of years. The Perth Subie Club sounds like a great bunch of people.

Duncs
FollowupID: 332415

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:05

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:05
I think it just goes to show that if the vehicle is not properly prepared & you don't drive to the conditions, then eventually something has got to break. I did the CSR back in 95 & took it easy (21 days) visited every well plus a detour out to Helena Springs & never had as much as a hick-up with my vehicle. Mind you I've come across similar problems with vehicles & trailers braking components (especially stub axles & springs) on other treks (e.g. Cape York Bi-Pass Road) because they don't drive to the conditions.
AnswerID: 72085

Reply By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:17

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:17
g'day GO-OFFROAD,the torsion bar had broken and the cv joint had collapsed,it looked a real mess.only the one wheel had collapsed.he had the right attitude ,no panic.he said he should have kept his eighty series.him and his wife are experienced desert travelers apparently.they said they are friends of greg cartan who has had some of his desert travels published in 4wd monthly lately. cheers sparra.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 72097

Sponsored Links