NO FLATS - YET

Submitted: Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 17:56
ThreadID: 15427 Views:1913 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just in Norseman for the day after spending a week south east of here. Access in was via the telegraph track and the Mt Andrew track (some great rocks along the track with cave and wave formations) From there it was a week of very heavy cross country work mostly through burnt out areas whichi included a very tough stretch through through 5m high saplings 3-4 inch diametr and also through more recently burnt areas to access a very remote granite rock. Then working south skirting saltlakes but with more major bush bashing in between. After 6 days off not seeing a track . and drivin over countless peices off sharp deadfall I have come to the conclusion you can keep your BFGs and Coopers but if you want puncture resistance go the rag tyres - if you can put up with the morning flat spots and lower speed ratings. I am also a firm believer in Landcruisers - some of the punishment while bush bashing had to be seen to be believed with the only damage (besides dents) being the fuel nipples on top of the rear tank ripped off (again) - a real weak point . So tomorrow it will be back out and into it again and hopefully the luck holds. And fyi after 6 days of driving in low 2nd and another 2 days in high4 - no broken front diff puts paid to that myth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:48

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:48
I run rag tyres for many years but found that when towing a large caravan on the bitumen, which had steels, the tracking was corrupted and so reluctantly I changed to steels all round, skinnys that is. Them fat tyres won't do the job you are doing out there. What are you running... 10 or 14ply?

Sounds like a great adventure and getting paid to do it as well!
AnswerID: 71917

Follow Up By: Davoe - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:57

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:57
12 ply Dunlop dr2 and yea its not a bad way to earn money - they actually pay me more when out bush. The week after next It will be back to the nearanging mapsheet about 130k nw of Kalgoorlie which is just as remote althogh there are a few severly overgrown tracks to attempt to follow
FollowupID: 332080

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:46

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:46
What do you do for a Job?? Sounds like awsome fun.
AnswerID: 72017

Follow Up By: Davoe - Thursday, Aug 19, 2004 at 09:58

Thursday, Aug 19, 2004 at 09:58
fieldy for the geological survey at present. just getting ready for a week on the Nearanging mapsheet 130km nw of kalgoorlie - more fun and better scenery
FollowupID: 333390

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:29

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 13:29
Good to hear from you again Davoe. Glad you didn't get lost out there. That's amazing that you've had no punctures at all given the nature of the terrain you've been over. Whilst the rags suit what you do the more "normal" type of driving the rest of us do almost dictates that we must use the more modern type of tyre. BTW what myth were you referring to?
AnswerID: 72026

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 at 15:03

Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 at 15:03
yea the post was a bit tounge in cheek as rags are not practical usually but they are awsome for the punishment they take. the myth referred to l/c busting front diffs willy nilly since they went to smaller front diffs - driven over 30 l/c and never seen or busted a front diff
FollowupID: 333317

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 22:47

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 22:47
Hey Davoe, are you doing mapsheets for GSWA? I worked as a Field Manager for Geochemex when they had the soil sampling contract back in the early nineties. We'd bush bash half a dozen govvie HZJ75's for roughly six weeks at a time, taking a soil sample every 4 lineal km's to create a geological mapsheet. Those Cruiser's had the guts flogged out of them relentlessly, but no-one ever had to walk home. Good machines alright.

It was a great job except for the condition we used to call 'Sampler's Complaint' that would set in after a few weeks away from the missus. 'Baboon Bum' didn't help either.

Crossply the only tyre to use for that kind of work like you said. Keep a close eye on your wheel studs though, Toyota manufacture them from cheese.

Just got back to Perth from a week or so recce'ing salt lakes down that way. Lake Lefroy, St Ives, Woolibah, Perkollili etc. Nice country. Have fun.
AnswerID: 72222

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 at 16:10

Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 at 16:10
yea that would be right we actually have the huge books that were produced by your sampling floating round the office. Next week I will be going up to Nearanging which is much nicer (read less burnt) than the Dundas nature reserve
FollowupID: 333325

Sponsored Links