how much weight can a troopy take

Submitted: Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1544 Views:1891 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
we're about to do a "work round aus" trip and will probaly have the whole house in the troopy........not........
its a new 2002 hzj78 deisel 6 cyl model...the specs say a mass gross of 3200kg.......kerb weight 2205kg, whick suggests we're allowed 995kg, i,ve done a quik calc and may be up to 750kg.........do i need extra suspension, shocks etc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goran - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
You are right.You can only load 995kg.Even that may be pushing too hard.As for aftermarket suspension,that depends where you going and how much off roading you are going to do.Generaly speaking Troopies suspension is lot tougher than coil rear found on 100 series.You should be able to get away with it for this trip.Just for the record,all Japanese 4x4 can benefit from aftermarket suspension.In other words they all come out with cheap shockies and useless springs of absolute shocking quality.Check all the gear you intend to take.Every time you do that you will find something that is not nesessery.Do it few times...:-)
Cheers
AnswerID: 5049

Follow Up By: Trev B - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

thanks for the reply.........
as for where we are going......the tougher treks we hope to do are the grr, gibson desert, inc wapet rd (maybe the gwyneth lakes area too) ,carnegie rd, gary hwy........steep point........kennedy ranges, just to name a few.......the up to 750kg included fully fueled, watered and spares, obviously on the better roads the load will be much less without the "totally self-sufficiant" extras , and with 70% of our weight while being at camp, this leaves the vehicle travelling at just about normal weight.
maybe someone can tell me the "guestimate" mpg on this vehicle thru the areas mentioned above........remembering that martina and i have an "all the time in the world" travelling factor.
cheers
trev
FollowupID: 2157

Reply By: Goran - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

You should be able to get 14L per 100km on those roads loaded and averaging 60 km(if you are lucky).
AnswerID: 5053

Sponsored Links