Otways this Sunday - Guest speakers

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 21:14
ThreadID: 15462 Views:1703 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Subject: Otways Protest Meeting – “RECLAIM THE FORREST” Update

Dear Club President and Delegate

It is with pleasure that I advise that Mr Peter Hall National Party will be a guest speaker at the Rally. Other speakers will include Bob Richardson President of BUG, myself and more.

The press, our friends at Channel 7, and others will, we are told, be attending in their whirlybirds and looking for us in particular.

At the Bush Users Group meeting Sunday the local community wanted me to pass on to all of you their appreciation for your support.

There will be 2 motions that will be put at the Rally:

1. That we oppose the expansion of the National Park in the Otways
2. That we have no confidence in VEAC

Or words to that effect!

The Liberal Party has not yet committed but we expect the local member to attend.

Our leadership is on show and I commend this green article to you to read see http://tcha.org.au/nvda.htm and turn up the sound to listen to the intro.

Respect to the locals; honesty and integrity is part of our style. Lead your members to stand up for the rights of all for our recreation.

Kind regards,
Michael Coldham
Four Wheel Drive Victoria
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:06

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:06
And there is free camping 30 min drive from the meeting at Apollo Bay at Gelibrand [via Colac] about 2 hrs from the Westgate bridge, which will be signposted from the main st, for those who dont wish to drive down and back in a day, or would like to go a different route to the Ocean Rd, or would like to see some of the area they are looking at making national Park.

Will be a 4wd trip Saturday for those who wish to do so, with everyone camping heading to Apollo Bay Sunday morning in a group, to park up and atend the rally.
AnswerID: 72135

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 13:08

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 13:08
Good to see you will be there Truckster.

I like a bloke who supports what he post's.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 72145

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 15:19

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 15:19
Me,
I'm going playin in the snow.
Wife gets out of hospital on Saturday after a week stuck inside, she wants to get out and play.
FollowupID: 332357

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:06

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:06
Thats a pity really,
one of 2 things will happen this weekend, if the No's are bigger than wombat were, they may realise the more they try to take on the bush users, the worse off they will become

or

we will get less No's than wombat, and they may figure if they keep the current idea's up, we will eventually peter out, leaving them to it to do what theya re planning unapposed.

If you dont attend the rally, dont sook in 5 yrs time when you can 4wd anywhere, and there are 50000 tourists in 2wd campers at your favorite camp spot.
AnswerID: 72241

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:16

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:16
With they way they have been reducing camps in the area it is already that way compared to 10 years ago. Some old camp sites aren't recognizable any more, the ones that are left are mainly C.R.A.P
uhuforrest
FollowupID: 332471

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:06

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:06
Well we cant stop people using them, but what is proposed is to turn state forest into national park in tourist friendly areas and make up the short fall in logging money by charging entry to see it.

In the Otways $740,000 a yr is paid to local shires for logging rights, which maintains area's [if you could call what parks DSE do maintain] which means when these area's become national parks, they will require more maintenance to keep tourists entering, more people means more infrastructure, and somehow money needs to be found to do so... when 740k a yr has gone.
FollowupID: 332489

Sponsored Links