crinkled window tinting

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:11
ThreadID: 15490 Views:2048 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The window tint on the driver's side rear sliding windows of my FJ75 troopy is crinkled & bubbled in spots. It was like that when I bought the car. How can I remove the tint film or straighten out the wrinkles or bubbles? Heat gun?

Sparky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:18

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:18
We had a bloke come to our club the other week giving a talk on Window Tinting.

He said that it was a REAL BITCH to get off. Infact, he would sometimes turn work away that required it to be removed.

He stated it depends on what was used to stick it to the window.
One thing - paint striping heatgun(like hairdryer), persistance, and sometimes it can take upto 4hours to totally clean 1 window if it was using certain glues..

Go and have a word to Gordon Patterson in Silver Beach (left of pde, think its 3rd house on left, 2 story joint next to old single story with large block of land), he was running Solar Tint for a while.
AnswerID: 72263

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 16:42

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 16:42
tks for the info I thought it would be a lousy job.
btw; G.Patterson sold up & moved to Buraneer (with the well to do mob). His old place was just up the road from me at Kurnell. I'll give him a ring & sus it out.

Sparky
FollowupID: 332531

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:18

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:18
All you can do is pick a corner tear it off clean off the glue and have it tinted again only this time make sure it was not cheap tint, my cruiser was the same when I bought it.
AnswerID: 72264

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:02

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:02
I believe steam is required to get rid of old glue and outlets charge you a motza for that privilege if indeed they can be bothered doing it at all. Fair enough too as it's not a task that I want to do and have been putting off for a while now.
AnswerID: 72270

Reply By: sdc - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:17

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:17
Metho will help remove some types of tinting. Try a bit in one corner to start with.

It often depends on the quality of the tinting and how long it has been there as to how easy it is to remove.

Best of luck
AnswerID: 72277

Reply By: Bob H - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 13:09

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 13:09
probably cheaper and easier to get a new window or one from the wreckers and then get it tinted.
AnswerID: 72283

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 17:55

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 17:55
I spent 7 years tinting cars and can confirm that striping film is a bugger of a job and can be very labour intensive that’s why quite a few firms don’t want to touch it. You can tint 3 cars in the time it takes to strip one and customers balk at the price of removal as there is nothing to show for it.

Ways to make it easier: if the window can be removed easly you can put it in a black garbage bag wth some water and leave it in the sun. The steam will soften the glue and let you peel the polyester film off. The same result can be gained by masking the insideof a window with a black garbage bag and spray the window liberaly with a mix of water and washing up liquid.
The best thing for removing the glue we found was 3M glass and laminate cleaner. Spray this all over the glue and scrape it off with a nice sharp razorblade. Keep using sharp blades, as when they get dull that was when you start to scratch the glass. Scrape off as much glue as you can.
Find the cheapest fine green scouring pads you can find and scrub them on sone cement to wear then in a bit then give them a rinse in water. Spray the window with the glass cleaner then scrub the remaining glue off.
Give the glass a final wash with the soapy water and squeegee dry.
The heater strips can generally be saved by steaming off the tint as above then cleaning off the glue with the scourer. Don’t use the blades in the heater strips as if you cut one, that strip is stuffed.
Soapy water can be used instead of the glass cleaner. Some of the citrus oil based cleaners also work at softening the glue.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 72320

Sponsored Links