Nissan Patrol Recovery point

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:26
ThreadID: 15513 Views:4911 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guy's just a quick question is the D like hook on the back step a rated recovery point?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: James M - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:30

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:30
It is to my knowledge, but I prefer to use the pin in the tow bar.
AnswerID: 72369

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike (WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:32

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:32
I doubt it. Take a look at the whole thing. the bolts are really strong but the D is welded onto some not so tough steel. I know people use them as recovery points & I've never seen one fail but.....
AnswerID: 72370

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:55

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:55
Pauly,
I've used it as a recovery point but as mentioned if you take the D bracket off there isn't much holding the bar into the plate, it looks like a riveted plate, not welded. I now use the tow hitch reese hitch point with a shackle in the right attatchment. We had a guy recently in our club who had a recovery point come off the front of somebody elses vehicle, it smashed into the back of the spare wheel on hs GU (thank goodness for the spare on the back) it glanced of the edge and smashed the rear RH wing and light cluster, not pretty. I've now decided to only ever use the correct points I know are rated, his experience was frightening.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 72378

Follow Up By: Pauly - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 22:34

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 22:34
G'day Martyn
Thanks for your opinion i only want to use rated recovery points as well but i dont have a reese hitch just a tow ball and i was under the impression that the tow ball is not a rated recovery point, so where or what is a rated point at the rear.

Cheers Paul
FollowupID: 332580

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:20

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:20
Paul,
I don't have a Reese hitch on my Rangie, what I've done is drilled out the hole where the tow ball fits, this is a 2500 kg ball, I've now drilled out the hitch to take a 3500 kg ball which the thread is slightly bigger and also fits a 4.7 tonne shackle through, works a treat. This way I use the tow hitch as the recovery point, that's about as good as it gets in my opinion.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 332619

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:27

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:27
Martyn,
We have to consider the weakest link in all this. Now, your towbar doesn't have a reece hitch - does it have a rating stamped on it? My guess is that it is rated considerably less than the usual 3500kg or 2500kg, and on your setup, the towbar is probably the weak link. I know it looks strong, but I'm guessing its only as strong as the two bolts holding the tongue on.
FollowupID: 332632

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:42

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:42
Phil,
Your right........to a point, the tow bar it's self is plated for 2500 kg being I assume a genuine Range Rover part I would expect that, there will be a lot of dodgey brothers gear out there I accept that. Plus the load shear is not just calulated on the shear stress across the bolts but also the friction developed between the two steel components developed by the torque loading of the bolts holding the bar to the chassis and the actual hitch to the tow bar frame, I've actually had my hitch welded to the tow bar frame to remove the chances even further.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 332706

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:56

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:56
Martyn,

It sounds like you've done everything possible to have a safe rear recovery point.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 332709

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 22:26

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 22:26
Phil G,
I realise what I've done seem seems a tad of an overkill but I like to be as safe as I can be. Being a bit of an engineer and having access to welding facilities and drill presses makes things a bit easier.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 332716

Reply By: Billy - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 22:49

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 22:49
There was a question here a couple of months back so I got the manual out. For the GUIII at least, that point is described in the manual as a tow point for recovery purposes.

FWIW a tow ball is not rated but if you pull the box tongue out and put the pin back in through the snatch loop that will be.
AnswerID: 72400

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 18:01

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 18:01
You can bend the pin doing this..... it has happened. The pin is not meant to be holding a strap in, it's meant o hold the tongue in. Use a rated shackle where the ball goes through. I have a spare tongue with no ball, but it has a rated recovery hook held onto it by high tensile bolts and nyloc nuts. Easier than using shackles..
Just my opinion here, don't shoot me if you don't agree.
;-)
FollowupID: 332678

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:18

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:18
There was discussion on OLimits on this.

Some say yes, I wouldnt trust it.. for one the bolts are length ways, not across.

Our club man asked nissan they said nothing but it lead towards no, but that may have been for legal reasons in thebleepamerican society we live in now.

YMMV
AnswerID: 72404

Reply By: Well 55 - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 07:11

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 07:11
The "D" on the back maybe called a tow/recovery point but not a Snatch Strap recovery point. There is a difference.
AnswerID: 72416

Reply By: Pluto - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:23

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:23
Pauly,

The "D" is intended for use with a tow rope and is easily bent or broken in any recovery situation.

I bent mine on a very easy hand winch revovery. Don't ever consider using it for a snatch recovery.
AnswerID: 72434

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 17:38

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 17:38
The answer is NO.
The hook is for towing, not recovery. The bolts are taking the load along the thread for a start, not at "shear" point. Nissan will tell you they are not rated for snatch recovery. I have actually taken the "D" off my Patrol so it can't be used with a snatch strap. (I did this after someone hooked up a snatch strap to it without telling me till afterwards!).

A tow ball is NOT rated for snatch recovery either! Take the ball off and attach the strap to a RATED bow shackle which is attached to the tongue in place of the towball. Attaching the strap down the centre of a Haymen Reece and securing it with the pin is NOT a good idea either, although there are those on here that will howl with rage when they read that!! The point is the pin is not meant to take the strap load at the CENTRE of it's length, when it's holding the tongue in, the load is at the edges providing strength. With a snatch strap the load will cause the most force at the centre of the straps width and can (and has done) bend the pin. Result?? Either drive around with 9 metres of snatch strap curled up behind you..... or cut your strap off.... and eventually have to cut the pin free. Whew, what a job THAT would be!!!!

Pauly, perhaps look around for a 4X4 club that has a driver awareness program or a driver training course to do. Theres a lot that can go wrong with vehicle recovery via snatch straps and winches etc.... ask the poor bugger that lost his legs at Ormeau, or the family of the bloke that was killed on Moreton Island last year.

Driver training is well worth it!!! Anyone who says different is usually an accident waiting to happen.
AnswerID: 72489

Follow Up By: Pauly - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:40

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:40
Cheers Brian

I will get a group together and look in to the training(it cant hurt may even learn some thing). I have used the tow ball a couple of times but want to stop using it while i can, looks like when i go off road i have to take my tow ball off and bolt on a hook bit of a pain but i dont realy tow a trailer very often looks like my only option apart from getting a reece hitch.

cheers Mate
FollowupID: 332705

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 07:20

Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 07:20
No worries Pauly, glad to help. As afar as training goes, I assist at our club awareness day every second month and I learn something new every time. I believe it is invaluable!

I have the hook on a spare tongue, before I got the spare tongue, I simply removed the tow ball and attached the strap to the tongue via a rated bow shackle. (I have 3.5 tonne rated shackles, rarely use them but they're there if needed)

Whereabouts are you Pauly??
FollowupID: 332742

Sponsored Links