Cape Leveque - Kooljaman Resort

Submitted: Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1583 Views:2362 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one tell me why it is so expensive for a powered site at the Kooljaman Resort. I was quoted $46.00 per night for 2 Adults & 2 Kids(ages 9 &11). I am quite happy to pay this but was just wondering what was the attraction. Also if ones budget hasn't been going to plan, where would be the closest bush campsite to Cape Leveque. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Clay - Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00
We have just returned from there and I agree it was expensive for what you get. We stayed in one of the "Gilligans Island" beach huts and that was over 100 bucks a night for the four of us. It really is a pretty spot though with quite good fishing and nice beaches but there is no bush camping anywhere near Cape Leveque. Another really nice spot is Lombadina but not for caravans though.

The main western road is very corrugated and we returned to Derby via the eastern track where the last 80 percent was far better going and had just been graded.
AnswerID: 5190

Follow Up By: Trev B - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
clay....i was just wondering about the "eastern" track you have mentioned............where does is start and end from???
i only have a "street smart" map of the kimberleys and there is no mention of an eastern road from cape l to derby............cheers, trev b
FollowupID: 2246

Follow Up By: Member - Clay - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
Trev..the trek starts virtually equidistant between Broome and Derby from the main road and heads up to join the main track just near Beagle Bay. It is far better going and more scenic than the main track and when we did it a couple of weeks ago we did not encounter any other vehicles, unlike the main track which was a bit like Hay St! The trek notes are in Ron Moon's "The Kimberley;an Adventurers Guide" which you should have for a trip up there anyway for its useful information. The new edition has been out for a few months now and the trek notes are in the section on the Dampier Penninsula.
FollowupID: 2247

Follow Up By: Trev B - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
thanks clay for the great info............i presume your referring a to Kal's "hay st" .......its busier than bourke st in melb......more entertaining tho........lol...............cheers...trev b
FollowupID: 2258

Reply By: Allyn - Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00

Quondong is nice and Barred Creek as well (Off Willie Creek Rd). Both are freebies but at the lower end of Cape Leveque Rd.
They won't miss your wallet anywhere near Broome this time of year!
AnswerID: 5194

Reply By: Wayne - Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00

Wayne
Also have just been to Cape Leveque.
Re bushcamping - Most of the Dampier Peninsula is aboriginal land so there is no bush camping allowed.
If you want to bush camp you are just north of Broome in the places others have mentioned. This is still three hours driveaway from Cape Leveque.

From our perspective we loved both Cape Leveque and Middle Lagoon (we have 2 kids 8 and 11).
Neither are cheap but we had just come of the gibb river road and uncrowded white sandy beaches to walk on and to swim which were a pleasant change from the dirt.

So the attractions (unless you fish) are around the beach, the sunsets, the sea shells. Also if you get onto the Dampier Peninsula there are various activites that the local aboriginals put on like mud crabbing.
You can get this from Cable beach in Broome but with so many people in Broome and every man and his dog driving on the beach there is no sense of being away from it all.

We also liked the beaches just north of Broome ( we Stayed at Quandong point) but spots were hard to come by and we found these were a lot more rockier than Mid Lagoon and Cape Leveque.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Wayne
AnswerID: 5197

Sponsored Links