Looking for a 4wd

Submitted: Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1611 Views:2016 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,
I'm after an opinion or two regarding the purchase of a new 4wd. I don't have any preconceived ideas on the subject at the moment. All salespersons tell me that their product is best for me - of course I'm not surprised at that - it's their job to try to convince likely customers that that's the case. Thus I'm looking for opinions from people who have experience and little or no bias in this field. Thank you in anticipation.
James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Beddo - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
I'm a Toyota peron from working in a gov't departments out west at Tibooburra and putting 4WD's to the test in off road fire fighting conditions. The Toyotas are expensive but they can take it off road, they don't gain rattles as much as other brands. If you are going bush the older style vehicles with the square style guards are stronger ie don't dent as easy when you brush against things. Depnding on what you are looking for the station wagon Landcruisers and patrols are big vehicles and not so friendly around town - long trips they are great - fuel consumption can be an issue. Highway/road use the Pajero isn't bad, have not driven new model - sounds pretty good though. Traytops the Nissan beats the Toyota in comfort easily.

Over all it is like Holden and Ford - you love one you hate the other. Take them for a test drive, it is most likely the vehicle you drive will be used more often on the black stuff. Also check with NRMA about service records & tests etc.
AnswerID: 5236

Follow Up By: James - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Beddo for all that! I'm only interested in wagons and will be buying new. Yes most of my driving will be on sealed roads. I am buying one to go off road but nevertheless the majority of time will be spent on roads. You only mention Toyota and Nissan, with a preference for Toyota. Would you consider any other makes? I value your opinions and thanks again!
James
FollowupID: 2253

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
James: I have a Land Cruiser Station Wagon and have done around 40000k's in the outback over five trips of one month each with the wife and Aussie Traveller Roof top tent and all the water and engels and roller drawers and an HF !! It is superb on the dirt roads and regularly returns 10litres to a hundred kms... its a diesel , 80 series . (barn doors ) and i have 2 spares... Th erest of the year I use it as a commuter in the big smoke of the Emerald City !... The 100 series is reported to be in the same vein, but as I have no experience of it can only say that the people I have met who have them are equally as happy.. If you want a heap of grunt then I would have a look at the Turbo models... Have a chat to an experienced diesel mechanic if you want any further help in this direction ..I don't want to be charged with starting a 'Flame War' so read what you like into my comments !!
Steve
AnswerID: 5239

Reply By: kezza - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

James depends on how much you want to spend - to purchase and maintain. Lots of homework needed today. I lean towards Nissans mainly because of reliability and I can fix a nissan if needed fairly cheaply and because they are so capable offroad. If youre spending the money and wish to make the most of it - you will always enjoy the freedom a Patrol wagon or landcruiser wagon over anything else. There are many compromises and if you are not a serious offroader take your pick. chances are that you will become more serious with a great vehicle. Too many people own 4wds and never use them - why bother. Ive done impossible things, in my earlier years, for many 4wd drivers, in 2wd vehicles (cars and trucks) from kakadu to the victorian alps and most places in between on sand snow and over rocky creek beds, Im still amazed that people can own a great vehicle yet never challenge it or just take it to the park so to speak - assess what your passion is and go for it. Take your time - if you need a simple vehicle - so be it spend the balance on a holiday or a treat. Its a lot of money to spend if you are fearful of true adventure(and for some, that may be just edging over that steep slippery hill not knowing if you will get out the otherside) and self sufficiency (getting yourself out of the poo by yourself).
enjoy life -
just my opinion
Kezza (bushie,ex truckie, adventurer,jack of all trades, even has a uni degree)
AnswerID: 5241

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

It would be nice for you to have used a valid email address on our forum as j@j.com is not a real address is it! What are you worried about in supplying a valid address......
AnswerID: 5242

Reply By: Beddo - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

More info, well if you want to buy straight off the shelf and be able to climb anything virtually - then the Landrover Defender is the go, though it is like a truck and you cannot drive the things without the window down (sit in one & you'll see). The Patrols and Landcruisers have the edge in off road ability and touring the outback compared to to the smaller vehicles, though vehicles such as the Prado is comfortable to drive, capable offroad and easy to park and can carry 8 people. I've driven the base models of the Patrol and Cruiser - both seemed BIG and Rolly Poley - then I drove a Cruiser GXL, and the difference was totally different so try the base models then ones with more options such as better suspension & wider tyres etc. Have not tried the Pajero - last one I drove was back in 2000, great on road but limited ground clearance. Commented before about rattles - I think the Cruiser is better holding together. Have not tried the Jackaroos but have heard they are pretty good. The Range Rover - if you can afford one, they would be a very capable vehicle but would you scratch it. Also diesel or auto - I like diesel (fuel economy) & it has to have a Turbo and a intercooler. Drive the Prado regularly and they are good on the dirt and capable for the majority of dirt roads etc - full on 4WDing up huge rocks etc, competition stuff, you would go for something different. Family trips into the National Parks, State Forests, Cape York, across the Simpson, this vehicle will do it no worries but so will most, even the Subaru outback is capable (limited ground clearance though & parts are expensive). Working in Gov't department we drive Nissans, Toyota, Mitsubishi & the odd Subaru - you might want to check tests out on the Hyundai Terracan (good value for money). Offroader magazine has a test at present on the Pajero and Prado - have a look and go have some fun test driving, though will have to see test reports on off road ability as I'm sure the salesman won't be happy if you drive off road. Anyway in the end most trails you will come across in the parks & forests are generally almost suitable for the old Kingswood & the 4*4 only is there just in case. Happy hunting, Beddo
AnswerID: 5272

Reply By: James - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for all the replies - lots to digest and much appreciated!!
AnswerID: 5280

Reply By: Graham - Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00
Take all and sundry you think you might be interested in for a test drive....that'll get rid of most.....then choose what suits you most from the rest... We did this and ended up with a Nissan Pathfinder, a mid range 4x4 with hi/low range.. that tows our caravan ok and is a pleasure to drive...

cya Graham
AnswerID: 5334

Sponsored Links