80 series starter solenoid

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1618 Views:4197 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I posted the question regarding the solenoid cotacts on 80 series starter motor some time ago and had done some work on it.Well what ever i have done,hasn't fixed the problem.Question is: Do i have to replace whole solenoid or just the contacts?In the workshop manual it says the whole unit has to be replaced.It would be handy to know what is the case before i take the unit off again.On test with the lights on they are not fading.Loud click can be heard when starter misses the beat.I thing it is the contact inside the solenoid.Any input is appreciated.Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darryn - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Again Goran, if you have had the contacts changed and the starter is still just going "click" then the plunger in the soleniod could be u/s. These can give trouble as well but I belive they are in the region of $300.00. Best check with a good auto-elec with experience in Toyota deisels. Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 5281

Follow Up By: Goran - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi there Darryn.I was hoping to get your advice again.I did not change the contacts,just changed the brushes.Do you know if it is possible to change the contacts without changing the whole solenoid.In other words,is the solenoid sealed unit or not ?
FollowupID: 2273

Reply By: DARRYL - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2002 at 00:00
Goran, we had a fleet of 30 75 cruiser utes up north wa on mine site ,same problem.If you have had trouble with it just going click-click the contacts could be pited now.You can get contacts ,Remove starter and take front of solonoid(iam asuming they are the same as 75 series.)The round plate is not the problem,its the two semi elliptical ones on the side .When they make them they are not exactly 90 deg to the round plunger contact, so therefore not the full contact is made to carry a few hundred amps .You can get them from Ashdowns auto electical.
Hope this helps
cheers Darryl
AnswerID: 5289

Reply By: Darryn - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2002 at 00:00

G'Day Goran Darryl is right its not hard to do the contacts. Remove the starter from the vehicle and remove the cover plate from the soleniod(triangular shaped plate). You will then see the contacts after you pull the plunger out. Undo the nuts on the outside of the solenoid and pull the contacts out through the housing. Be careful not to loose the various insulating washers etc. Any automotive supply shop or good auto-elec will have the aftermarket contacts. If your existing contacts are only narrow (1/2" to 5/8") they are OEM. Make sure you get the larger surface area contacts Also be careful when asembling not to try and overtighten the contact nuts as they and the bolts are only brass and will strip easily.
Good Luck, Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 5299

Reply By: Goran - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks guys,that is all i needed.Nice to have you around...:-)
AnswerID: 5313

Reply By: CHRIS - Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00
Have just had the same problem with a 60 series diesel. Toyota dealer and a couple of auto electricians said it was solenoid contacts and after shopping around for a price ( Which ranged from $66 to $600) I settled for the lower one which included a complete check of the starter motor.This included the cost of taking it out and re-installing.No more being stuck in a 10,000 acre paddock with a 20 k walk home.Cheers!
AnswerID: 5327

Reply By: LARRY - Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00
Hello Goran yes you can just replace the starter contacts in a 80 series . Done my 80 series a while back . when you turned the key you only get the loud click sound same as if it was a loose battery termanal. Its a easy job to replace them I cant remember how much at the time I replaced bushes and bearings as well at the same time as preventative maintenance.
AnswerID: 5355

Sponsored Links