Landcruiser 100 intercooled trubo

Submitted: Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1634 Views:2044 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of buying a new Landcruiser 100 series intercooled turbo and would like some feedback on what people think of them. I would use it for pulling a heavy camper trailer on outback trips. Toyota had this same engine in the 80 series for a while and dropped it because it was giving a lot of trouble. have they sorted the problems out with it? Also does the independent front end cause any problems, I have heard that you can only raise them at the front by about 35mm. I would be swapping my Rotronics dual battery system over from my GU Patrol 4.2TD, and have been told that I would have to replace both the standard starting batteries with a heavy duty starting battery and an auxiliary battery for running the fridge. How have other people got round the dual battery situation. Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00
I recently did an extended Simpson tour with a few of these in the group. I've got to say, that for this type of work they were very good. They were relatively heavy on the juice though. As a guide the TD100's used 150l from Birdville to New Crown, Tdi Disco used 85l, V6 Prado/Pajero used 150l. A very good tourer though, and the standard long range tanks were good for them also. From what I saw out there the IFS worked well, even on rough uneven dune, though I don't know what they are like when working serious trails. Regards Slunnie
AnswerID: 5370

Follow Up By: Simon - Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info, but 150L seems a bit high. We recently did the Simpson from, west to east though, and we only used 150L with the Patrol 4.2TD from Mt Dare to Birdsville and that was pulling a camper trailer. I would have thought the Landcruiser would be more economical given its more advanced engine. Simon
FollowupID: 2323

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Simon, 150l is on the mark. We had 2 TD100's, one was lighter than the other and the consumption difference was about 10l over the 660km. Our path though did not use the entire French line,we via knolls, rig, Erabena, WAA, Rig then French. But the figures given should provide a good guide to what to expect. When we arrived at Mt Dare they were dry, so we did continue another 70km?? to New Crown. I have to agree with you though Simon, the figures are high, but they are/were heavy vehicles with a heap of grunt. One TD100 missed making it to New Crown by about 2 litres of Diesel, and I'm pretty sure they didn't carry Jerries. Regards Slunnie
FollowupID: 2324

Reply By: Ken - Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Simon .Have no fears, the current tdi motor in the 100 series is a completly redesigned unit to the old 80 series one and even they had the problems ironed towards the end. Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 5384

Reply By: greg g - Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00
HIi Simon,I have a 100 td cruiser,it is automatic.I have done 23000 k in 12 months.I bought it to tow a camper trailer and later a larger van when we semi retire..soon I hope.The only trip I have done of note was from Gold Coast to Melbourne and return to se AFL grand final last September.Went down Newell highway (no trailer) sat on 115 k/h and returned 24m/gallon in the old money for 3700 k.I am very impressed with the wagon..the auto box in the low gears takes a bit to get used too
but you have to remember it is a diesel although you wouldn't know sitting inside.We have also towed a Jayco Off Road camper to Stradbroke Island and although the rear end did sag a bit..( I would definately get new rear springs before I did it again..there was a thread on this forum a couple of weeks ago about some ARB reccomend) it pulled the camper though really soft sand with out any trouble at all..
re battery setup..after much reading I got my auto electrician to install 105 amp hr deepcycle in place of one of the starting batteries and use a Traxide controller..ran 2 separate wires to the rear of the veichle,one inside and installed 2 h/duty narva sockets next to the original cig lighter socket and ran the other one to an anderson plug to run stuff in van..Had 3 weeks on North Stradbroke everything worked fine even the 12 v tv..hope any of this info helps.

AnswerID: 5396

Reply By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2002 at 00:00
Simon - I am curious to know why you are thinking about trading the GU 4.2TD for a 100 series. Whilst the latter may offer more power, it is unlikely that it will be as durable (particularly front diff and possibly gearbox) or as capable off road as a Patrol...
AnswerID: 5453

Follow Up By: Simon - Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00
Just felt like a change really. The Landcruiser is more powerful and quieter. I know that the Landcruiser will not be as capable in extreme conditions, especially in situations requiring high clearance and a lot of wheel travel. What are the problems with the front diff and gearbox. The Patrol apparently has a weakness in 5th gear. Simon
FollowupID: 2361

Follow Up By: Pathfinder - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Simon - the front diff is from the Hilux and unlikely to be as durable as the old one, particularly considering the considerably greater power being put though it c.f. Hilux. I'm not sure what current Landcruiser manual gearboxes are like, but there has certainly been a long-standing historic problem with 5th gear on Cruisers and with oil transferring between gearbox and transfer case due to a poor seal design. Patrol gearboxes (and drivetrain in general) are bulletproof, being sourced from Nissans light truck line. The Patrol chassis is also stonger than that on the new Cruiser. There's no doubt that Cruisers were a better, stronger vehicle than Patrols in the 1980s, but I don't think that is the case any more...
FollowupID: 2393

Reply By: Derek - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Simon. I've been reading this thread and would like to impart the following. The 100 series is approximately 100kgs heavier than the 80 series which is heavier than the GQ. The power of the new 4.2TD is awesome but the front suspension is nothing short of embarrassing. We have one in our club and the lack of wheel travel in the front end is alarming. And finally, Landcruisers do not have hi-lux diffs in the front-they merely share similar dimensions. Hope this helps. Derek.
AnswerID: 5671

Sponsored Links