Canter or Isuzu?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1644 Views:4228 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi there, does anyone have any experience with Mitsubishi canter 4wd or isuzu 4wd? like, how good are they off road and what are their common problems/ weaknesses. thanks a lot.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00
We have owned a Holden Jackaroo (same as Isuzu Trooper in the US) for 4 years, and have found it to be a very tough vehicle for off road driving in difficult conditions. We've had no problems at all with it, and we have pushed it quite hard on some very rough roads. We have the 3.0 ltr diesel version, 1998 model. Its not a 'fashionable' 4WD, because it hasn't had a style upgrade for years, so motoring writers tend to dwell on how old-fashioned it looks, but it certainly does the job where it counts. A lot of country police vehicles in this state use the same model as ours. There was a lot of talk about how hard the diesels were to start in cold conditions, but that seems to be no longer a problem, as it was really a question of using the right grade of oil, plus dual batteries, which are now standard on current models.
AnswerID: 5394

Follow Up By: Willi - Monday, Aug 05, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 05, 2002 at 00:00
thanks michael. i should have specified that i was after info about a ISUZU NPS 250 4x4 truck, same size as a mitsubishi canter.

in regards to your trooper, i used to work in a holden dealership and know of the problem sith starting troopers. did you know that because your engine is a direct injection, you do not need the pre- glow system? it is only needed to comply with european emission laws, and only while the engine is cold. if you disconnect it (a plug at the drivers side of the firewall), it will start as good or bad as before. but you will save a lot of current. with the glow system connected, all the power the alternator produces and more will be swallowed up by it for quite a few minutes after starting!!! cars that are used to drive short distances only therefore suffer from flat batteries all the time. some mechanics have been mislead into thinking the alternator does not charge.

what is important as you say is the correct grade oil, as the injectors are operated with electronically controlled (engine)oil pressure. we had a number of cars that would not start at all after the wrong oil was put in.

i agree with you they are a great car, they accelerate incredibly.

regards

willi
FollowupID: 2330

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00
A station owner I know up on Cape York swear by his Canter 4WD. They use it to bring cattle back from the mustering yards. I've been down the tracks that they use in my Patrol and it was slow going.
AnswerID: 5400

Reply By: Member - Ed - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2002 at 00:00
Willi, during a recent trip in the Kimberly area I noticed that the Canter seems to be getting the nod from quite a few professional tour operators. Don't know which model but I'm talking about vehicles carrying about a dozen bods in a bus format. Ed Bee
AnswerID: 5446

Sponsored Links