Beating any price guaranttee - Megamart and Harvey Norman

Submitted: Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1678 Views:3742 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have any of you tried this. I did. What a joke they have all the excuses under the sun. I wanted a digital still camera, I did a lot of research and got a really good price that I was comfortable with. I then went to both Megamart with their beating any other price by 5%, they offered $20 it should have been $108. Harvey Norman with their 110% (or 11% in plain english) they where not interested, I had to supply then with an advertisment. I had a ligitimate email and business card as proof. Like I said I think they are jokes. Don't be conned.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Absolutely .... Just shop for the best price. After all, it's your money not theirs! The "beat any price" guarantees are usually conditional on the price being advertised. Well really, how many places advertise all the items they sell and their prices. But by all means see what you can get out of them anyway. It's better having the cash in your pocket than in theirs.
AnswerID: 5539

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

This type of offer is made by stores that know that they charge more than elsewhere, in an attempt to make people think that they must be cheap and therefore not compare prices. I personally would not buy from store at all unless they were significantly cheaper, but on all comparisons they are dearer. Recent example, an optical mouse was $79.95 at one of those "cheap" stores, but I purchased it for $58 elsewhere (same brand/model).

They rely on the fact that very few people can be bothered to actually force them to honour their so called guarantee. It's a bit like the insurance industry: if you harass them enough then you may gets what they promised.
AnswerID: 5552

Follow Up By: Rodeoowner - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Bunnings used to honour their 10% guarantee, but now they own BBC, it probably doesn't matter.

Cheers
FollowupID: 2399

Follow Up By: Rojac - Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00
Just like the bunnings trade card, if you are considering getting one dont..what a joke as part of the application you must spend in excess of $200/month. Got the card, trade discount on purchases 99% of the time zip. Waste of time.
FollowupID: 2411

Reply By: KiwOka - Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00
Are you all forgetting the wonder of the modern age. The internet is where they all advertise every produsct they sell. If you want to use the guarantee then you have to use your nogin. Here is what you have to do: 1/ Find what you want on the net. 2/ Save the url or product info. 3/ go to HN show them the product on the net on their PC 4/ Ask them to better it. it does work they just need proof of the price you are quoting. And an email with a price is not proof of anything.

NOTE:The guarantee is only on the advertised price and the internet is nothing more than one big ad. It's all in the definition of Advertised. If you have problems ask for the manager I bet they will not only meet but beat the price you have.
AnswerID: 5565

Reply By: Fred - Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00
I agree KiwiOka it seems quite legit for a store to want proof of an advertised price before beating it. After all how many people would try the old line "I can get it for ... at ..."? I presented Megamart with proof of a competitors advertised price for a washing machine I wanted. They beat it and I also got my Shareholders discount on their price which was worth another 5%. As you say you have to use your noggin or in more articulate terms, present clear indisputable proof of a competitors price and you'll find they'll honour their offer. Oh and don't wear the mocossins and beanie!! LOL
AnswerID: 5598

Sponsored Links