Bushtrack off-road Caravans

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1685 Views:2204 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have ordered a 18" Bushtracker for a major round Oz trip (3+ years). I have been reading the archives and found two things. 1) Most people dont have True Off-road Vans 2) They are restricted to main road and tracks. Is this the case with the bushtracker? Any comments on "Bushtrackers" would be welcome. Please do not go into the ethic's of taking a van off-road etc. I am well aware of the enviromental implications and also the extra strain on Everything. I am only looking for constructive critisisim and comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00
What is a true off road van??? (for a start it would be a skinny one with a track only as wide as the tow vehicle) Is it intended for the CSR Simpson etcc??? then what do you tow it with????

We've just sold our 16ft 10ins 'bitumen' Jayco van after 3 years and around 40k.

Over the next 15 yrs or so we will be spending 6/8 months in our new 16ft 9ins 'off road' Evernew. With most nights spent in van parks and most of its kms will be along the bitumen, probably around 60%, with about 30% on gravel roads, and 10% on tracks..... For those other treks like the Simpson, CSR, and the Cape past Weipa, etc.. a small tent and sleeping bags stored under the van bed. Therefore we believe we have a van that suits the vast majority of our intended use, and not something made for the minority of our intended use.

While 'Bushtrakker' and a couple of others do seem to make a decent real 'off road' van they are not what we wanted in a van.

cya down the trak.
Graham
AnswerID: 5567

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00
KiwOka you have most likely made a very good choice. A round Oz trip involves much of the time on sealed roads and a small portion on unmade roads such as the Birdsville track, Oodnadatta track etc. These roads are fine for an 18ft Bushtracker(hope it's not 18 inch as you said!!! LOL). Be very cautious about going off road with it. The major problem you'll encounter is not with the structural integrity of the Bushtracker but simply the sheer weight of it behind you. It will reduce your fuel range and severely limit your vehicles ability to tackle difficult off road situations - sand, mud, river crossings etc. The first replier (sorry forgotten his name) makes a good point. Take a trent and camping gear for off road travel. Hope that wasn't too much criticism
AnswerID: 5579

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00
You will of course still be limited by the physical size of the van, but as the bushtracker has 2/3 of the weight in the bottom 1/3 of the van and with it's true loadsharing suspension you will be able to tackle areas that other vans wouldn't go for risk of damage. The extra drag would make soft sand areas almost impossible. Another limiting factor will be space to manouver which again is a factor of the length of the van. That said there will be many spots to enjoy. Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 5589

Reply By: Drew - Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00
Last year I was fly fishing an area at the end of tantangara dam called the ribbon stream. I have seen plenty of small boats towed into the area with the only difficulty being a steep low gear descent down a rock strewn track at the end of the drive. It was however a surprise to find 2 Bush trackers camped at a beautiful section of the river having been towed in by a Disco and a Patrol. Both of the units were at least 18ft if not more. The track was rough enough to require low range and if you can get one up and down there, there are plently of other great places to visit in your mobile penthouse....have fun!
AnswerID: 5609

Follow Up By: Stan - Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00
Drew, Steep and rough is never a problem with a good off road trailer. Boggy and slippery can be however.
FollowupID: 2428

Reply By: Drew - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Sorry mate! It hasn't rained for so long I forgot about the mud!
AnswerID: 5649

Follow Up By: Stan - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
LOL Drew - you only have to get caught in it once and it's never forgotten. Got caught in the Simpson and around Innamincka last year!
FollowupID: 2474

Sponsored Links