Holidays end too soon...

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 09, 2004 at 23:09
ThreadID: 16926 Views:2569 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just returned after nearly 2 weeks of travelling up to Birdsville, around to Innaminka and back home. We travelled in a group of three, one towing a Coromal Van, one with a camper trailer and we hired a camper from Adventure Trailers.
Trip started off well until I encountered three flats on the Birdsville Track, two write offs and one puncture. Fortunately, Mungerannie and Birdsville had tyres on special that week!!
Spent a few days looking around Birdsville, had a good look around the museum (well worth a look), pub, dingo caves, pub. Then travelled out to big red and drove over it a couple of times to say that I've done it (Kids thought it was good fun anyway).
Then travelled around to Haddon Corner to have a look. We dropped the van/trailers off before driving over the two sand hills to get there, but the sand was fairly hard so probably didn't need to.
Then spent a week at Innaminka. Saw the Dig Tree, Burke and Wills Grave etc etc. Saw quite a few pigs at the water hole a few years ago but none this time. Don't know where all the yabbies were, we had three nets in while there and only caught one!
We then travelled down to bore track, through Bollards lagoon to Cameron Corner. Then back to the Strzelecki Track and back home before getting my last puncture at Hawker (Tec Screw through one of the new tyres).
Ended up being a bit too hot, and wouldn't leave it this late again. Am already planning a trip June/July next year (May be across the Simpson) but will have to convince the other half some how.
It was good to get away again, had good company, plenty of time to relax and now I can look forward to going back to work on Tuesday.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peter in sa - Saturday, Oct 09, 2004 at 23:53

Saturday, Oct 09, 2004 at 23:53
hi Hen Pecked ya now how you feel we did mungerannie , birdsville,betoota,Innamicka,Arkaroola,,great trip in august did,nt wont to came home we were towing a c/t but no puntures .we camp out at cullymurra water hole it was great caught 3 fish in 3 days no yabbies any way good to hear thay you had a good trip except for the puntures cheer,s peter
AnswerID: 79543

Reply By: old baz - Sunday, Oct 10, 2004 at 12:32

Sunday, Oct 10, 2004 at 12:32
Just curious, what sort of van it was and how did it handle the terrain.are tracks suitable for a small van?? cheers Baz
AnswerID: 79577

Follow Up By: Hen Pecked (Pt Augusta) - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 19:08

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2004 at 19:08
The van was a Coromal Seka 535 pop top, I think they're about 18 1/2 foot long. There were plently of corrigations on most of the roads and the guy towing it said it went well and hardly any dust got in it. There were a few rocks that were kicked up and did a bit of damage to the front panelling of the van. If you've got an off road van and take it easy I would consider it. We have an old 'on road' van we took up the Oodnadatta track last year. The track was a lot better than the Birdsville Track but it sure shook the sh*t out of it and we had to sweep out a pile of dust when we camped at night. I said I wouldn't take it off road again and that's why I hired the trailer this time. Hope this helps you a bit!
FollowupID: 339313

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Oct 10, 2004 at 16:32

Sunday, Oct 10, 2004 at 16:32
Hen Pecked ..... I think your pigs had been camping along the Ghan Rail Trail!
AnswerID: 79591

Sponsored Links