dec 1998 Jackaroo Turbo Deisel

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1716 Views:3934 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We just purchased a Dec 1998 3.0 Turbo Deisel,we love the vehicle but have had numerous problems getting it to start,which I have since learnt is a common problem.Our local holden dealer have been very fair in trying to rectify the problem but today we took it to an independent deisel mechanic for his opinion,which was basically "SELL IT!".Said the engine management system in the early 3.0 were too sophisticated and we would have nothing but problems with it and they'd get worse as time went on.HELP!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
Get another mechanic that is capable and not scared of current technology..
AnswerID: 5674

Reply By: Darryl - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Dont dispair , That diesel mechanic has not probably the equipment , engine manual , and the know how .Go back to basics !
No 1 The right oil depending on climate 10 w 40 --- 5w 50
No 2 Service the secondry oil filter for the injecter system
No 3 Service the injector high pressure rail fuel filter (very fine micron )
The holden dealer should have checked the computer system for correct operation , and the throttle body assembly for correct position on start up to allow the right air /fuel mixture .
The oil component is very important depending on how cold an area you live , the colder the thinner it has to be .
Get a good mechanic who is willing to learn about these new engines that all manufacturers are going to as has Mitsubishi just done with the new diesel engine.
I have a 2000 model td and extremely happy with power and economy as well as the all round comfort and ability of the jack.
Good luck
Darryl
AnswerID: 5677

Reply By: Gerald - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Does your vehicle have dual batteries? I think the 1998 diesels came out with a single battery but Holden introduced dual batteries as standard soon after the model was released to deal with starting problems.

Gerald.
AnswerID: 5688

Reply By: Darian - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Previous post shifted forward to here.....dp
Have made up a page to share with Jack owners, re oil choices for the new tech 3.0 diesel. Feedback here welcomed....is here
or manual: http://dmitafe.com/~darian/jackoils. Is Castrol only for now, and no....I have no connection with them.....feedback on other products could be added.... Cheerz.
AnswerID: 5689

Reply By: Jan - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

We have exactly the same vehicle as yours Spencer. We bought it new only a couple of months after they were released, and it didn't have the dual battery setup, which is now standard. We belong to the Jackaroo 4WD Club in Victoria, and they had a guest speaker from Holden last year who explained the testing they had done to try to solve the 'hard to start when cold' problem. They hired a refrigerated container, put a Jackaroo in it, and tested it with different oils. They discovered fairly clearly that the type of oil used has an enormous influence, and it takes several changes of oil to eliminate the problem. We didn't have a major problem with starting our vehicle while cold, though it did sometimes need about seven or eight seconds of cranking to get going (which Holden says is OK). But since we changed to the recommended oil and installed a dual battery, the problem has disappeared and you don't need to crank it any longer than any other vehicle to get it going now. If you want to get advice from other Jackaroo owners, consider joining one of the Jackaroo Clubs in Vic, NSW or SA. The website for the Vic club is: www.jackaroo4wdclub.org.au Don't give up on the 1998 TD Jackaroo. We think it's a good, tough vehicle, and we have had no problems at all with it in four years of ownership and lots of outback travel towing a camper trailer.
AnswerID: 5690

Follow Up By: Darian - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Excellent contribution Jan - my Oct 99 machine suits me just fine too - love it, in fact. What is the recommended oil from your advisor ?
....chirz.......Darian
FollowupID: 2466

Reply By: Jan - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

The oil recommended by the Holden/Izusu test engineers was Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W - 40, which works for us. Prior to this, we were using a 15W - 40 oil, which sometimes caused starting problems on cold mornings.
AnswerID: 5693

Reply By: mark - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

too slow and too smellybleepit off
buy a petrol
AnswerID: 5712

Follow Up By: Spencer - Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00
to all TD owners its just a mate ragging me,re his petrol Jack
FollowupID: 2505

Reply By: Damien - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
Interesting but completely useless comment Mark. I suppose you are an expert on the issue are you.
Too slow you say, compared to what?? The 3.0L T/D Jackaroo will put a lot of 6 cylinder petrol driven vehicles to shame.
Too smelly you say, guess you haven't seen many of the new technology direct injection Diesels like Jackaroo, Patrol & Pajero have you - no thought not.

AnswerID: 5728

Reply By: david - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00
Had the same problems starting as many Jackaroo owners . Izuzu dealer in Wollongong fitted a revised injector o-ring kit supplied by Salmat at no cost . I assume Holden picked up the cost as part of a recall. I have had no problems starting since.
AnswerID: 5887

Reply By: Spencer - Friday, Aug 23, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 23, 2002 at 00:00
Too many things went wrong with vehicle in the 2 monthes we owmed it.Injector seals,oil pick up pump,glow plugs,injector,wiring harness,throttle contol valve sensor.We took the least painful option and sold it,looking at a new base model manual petrol.
AnswerID: 5980

Sponsored Links