telstra irridium phones

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1723 Views:1778 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have used globalstar for past 2 years and have found them to be 'not reliable'. The handsets have also given me repeated trouble needing repair at my expense for what aI believe is a 'design' fault.

Has anyone used the Irridium network. The phones telstra are selling, both in intitial cost and call costs seem to be an absolute bargain.

Has anyone had a positive experience.

Sean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andrew - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
Sean, I live in a remote part of the NT and have been through the mill with firstly buying the original irridium hand helds and using them successfully untill they went bust. This left me and many other remote area users in the lurch. Vodafone then hit the scene a short time later with Globalstar and I was forced to join due to no other fully portable options at the time. At first their system was usless up here untill they sorted out the "bugs". It seems to work better now but we still experience the occasional no signal which is frustrating. I have had to get the display replaced on the Tellit handset last year as it went blank. I harrassed Vodafone on tis as they were wanting to charge me $110 for what I considered to be a design fault. They reluctently agreed and waived the fee. As for the Telstra system, I would like to hear more on this as out here, we have not heard of it.
AnswerID: 5714

Follow Up By: Sean - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew

I also live in the NT and have had 2 telit units for 2 years. The displays have failed 3 times and on the last ocassioin when both units failed, Vodaphone just told me to sort it out with the service agent becuase the phones were out of warranty. I rang consumer affairs who said that was incorrect but basically I cant waste time trying to win arguments. Cost to repair units was $99.00 each. The vodaphone rep(shane 884498) was extremely rude. I really could not believe what he had to say. He needs seriously customer training but I note that he referred to his boss several times during the call who must of known what was being said. In fact the rep quoted his bos as 'laughing'. I will definately not use vodaphone again EVER as soon as teh telit units are out of contract. I currently spend up to $15,000 a year on phones - so its their loss I suppose.

All indications is that the irridium with telstra is a bargain. There is also a subsidy scheme for people who live or work in remote areasand this will get you a new irridium motorola 9505 for $995 at $28 per month and $2.00/minute. Only question, as I ask, is irridium any good. If it is, I believe it will the only way to go.

FollowupID: 2478

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Saturday, Aug 17, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 17, 2002 at 00:00
Good news Sean! I have just returned from the N.T. and my Telstra Motorola 9500 Iridium phone worked flawlessly! I made calls from Oodnadatta, Lamberts Centre, Finke, Chambers Pillar, Arltunga, Hermansburg and the Devils Marbles, all loud, all clear and with full signal strength. The phones come with an external antenna but this was not needed. The system now has SMS activated as well. I am pleased with my choice rather than going with HF. Cheers!
AnswerID: 5788

Follow Up By: Sean - Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks PG for your info. It seems you are not alone in that the iridium system is GOOD and is the way to go. I will be changing over from Globalstar very shortly.

Sean
FollowupID: 2526

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00
If you were considering HF as an option for phone calls only, then I think you'd be wasting your time and money. Yes HF's can be used to make radphone calls, but these days that's really only a bonus to their real purpose which is to allow long range RADIO contact (to other travellers and travellers networks) for outback travellers.

Radios are for broadcast communication, phones are for person to person communication.

If you want a phone then buy a phone,, but if you want a radio then choose one that suits your requirements.
FollowupID: 2527

Reply By: Member - Mal - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel, a telephone is a radio !!! Mal Try
AnswerID: 5816

Reply By: Cruiser - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
Hey Mal,
A telephone is a telephone is a telephone.
A radio is a radio.
A mobile telephone is a radio transceiver.
Neither your response or mine are relevant to the original question, whilst Nigel's was. Still, I suppose we could vie for the title of 'Most Pedantic or Irrelevant Answer'.......
Cheers, Cruiser.
AnswerID: 5838

Sponsored Links