Tyres - BFG on GU II Patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1727 Views:2123 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am a first time user of this forum.

Does anyone know of any trouble with having BFG's on the series 2 GU Patrol. I have heard reports that the patrol tends to drift to the left. Confirmation or any first hand experience with this or other problems would be appreciated. Also what other brands would suit the GU as far as long wear, 4WDriving, stability, etc.....
cheers
Gav
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
Gav
Welcome aboard
Suggest you type "Tyres" in the search section of this forum. I think you'll find all that you need to know
AnswerID: 5720

Follow Up By: Gav - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

cheers Allyn, I will have a browse.
FollowupID: 2476

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Been comparing BFGs AT & MTs on GUs and GU11s for quite a while Brilliant tyre with correct pressures cant kill them and have no problems had a slight pull to the right on the GQ till the tyres settled in but I think that was the vehicle not the tyres individually as changing tyres made no difference.
People can get themselves into all sorts of strife with out common sense and a bit of knowhow as to work out correct pressures for their tyres for the weight of their vehicle and the conditions, so many theories so many ideas so many wrecked side walls and tyres. Suggest 34 - 38psi for a 3 tonne patrol but depends on width, I use a smear of silicon rubber across each tyre (cured overnight or for a day) to see how and where each tyre is wearing over 10 -20 kms obviously if silicon disappears from centre 1st, tyre is over inflated etc etc also depends on cornering as well but youll work it out.
kezza
AnswerID: 5721

Reply By: PeteG - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
Gav,
First suggest you consult the vehicle tyre placard. Just been through this myself and i think you will find specified is >1030kg (or 109 rating) with a minimum rating of S (speed of 180kph) on a GU II 3.0 wagon.
There are ADR's applicable, and if the tyre placard is not complied with then you may find trouble in the event of an insurance claim.

I have just replaced Bridgestone Dueller H/T 689's (265/70R16 112S) with Bridgestone A/T D693 265/75R16 112S (6 ply light truck). With a wagon mainly unloaded I have been running at 36psi and wear is OK after 10k's.

By doing this you run about 3% bigger tyre OD and also get a stronger sidewall.
I find they ride a little harsher than the H/T's. Cant tell about overall life yet but the H/T's did 83k without rotation and were set aside for use on a trailer.

In my chasing up there were a few options for a H/T (highway) tire (Coopers & Michelin). However there were not a lot of options for a GU II in the A/T tread style.

In the A/T (all terrain style) the BFG's were only speed rated to Q.

Another trick is to buy a set of 6 and then you can use the 2 spare in rotation (I only rotate front to back) and this would also cover you if going bush where carrying 2 spares is recommended.

AnswerID: 5732

Reply By: sean - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
I run BFG AT's and have had no problems except that I sliced the side wall on one after only 800km. The tyre is OK but I only use as second spare. After 35,000ks looks like I will get 50,000ks but this is due to amout of dirt roads I travel Tyres dont actually wear in these condition, they chip away. I have an MQ with duelers that are 80%worn after 15,000ks of almost all dirt. Same thing - they chip away.
My insurance co. had no problems with the rating. Slightly larger tyre actually corrected the speedo (4% difference) and is now registering 81ks for actual 80km/h.
Tyres are very quiet considering the agressive tread on the side walls. I run at 40psi. Bit harsh but any lower seems to give too much bulge in the side wall.

Sean
AnswerID: 5747

Sponsored Links