Tracks in South East Western Australia

Submitted: Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1741 Views:1676 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I know theres a track from Balladonia South to Cape Arid National Pk but is there another track further East of this which leaves the Nullabor Highway and follows the coast? Does anyone have any knowledge of this track?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kevin - Saturday, Aug 17, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 17, 2002 at 00:00
Kirsty I have been as far as 2 small bays past Isrealite Bay (200Km past Esperance), and friends have been further East to the Baxter clifts. I have also been South of bleeplebiddy (Eyre Bird observatory). All these do link up, my advice try to find a Ph No of Eyer Bird Observatory and ask them. Further east I dont know much about except a few tracks east of Eucla visable by hunting around. Hope that helps.
AnswerID: 5787

Reply By: Member - Mal - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
Kirsty, I did a trip from Esperence - Isralite Bay - Point Culver. Here you run out of beach and reach the start of the Baxter Cliffs. To get off the beach go back west approx. 12 km and there is a track through the sand dunes and up the hill. Can be difficult to find and is very steep.(MUST let tyres down to prevent damage) Once at the top you can travel a track that parallels the cliffs going east and hits the highway near Caiguna or you can go north to the highway and come out at the eastern boundary of Balladonia Station which is 57.5 km east of Ballidonia Roadhouse. Get advice from the CALM office at Esperence. They would prefer you travelled from top to bottom to avoid damage to the track. Have a great trip. Mal Try.
AnswerID: 5813

Reply By: member-skippyking - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Kirsty, here is a link to a company that does trips to this area. It shows you can get through. http://www.thefishingschool.com.au/GabFront.htm
I read another story a couple of years ago that had more detail but it is no longer available online, at least not that I can find. It was written by Darren Monks, a rec fisherman. Point Culver and Toolina Cove are good search words, see what you can come up with. Apparently it is much easier to go east to west as the climb up the scarp (if going west to east) that continues on to become the Baxter Cliffs of the Great Aust. Bight is challenging and near impossible if you have a trailer. Also you have to do a 70km beach run and need to do it near low tide, so you need to have tide times for the area. Hope you get to do it. It's one we wish to do. If you do let us know back here about it. :~) Grant
AnswerID: 5814

Reply By: Kirsty - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks guys for your great answers, we'll definately look up that website and research that phone number. This part of the trip is only the beginning but which we know least about - we'll keep you informed of how it went!
Cheers, Kirst
AnswerID: 5824

Reply By: BILLOWAGGI - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
Where the hell is bleeplbiddy ?
AnswerID: 5870

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
Hello
Extreme caution should be exercised at Israelite Bay end of beach run from Baxter Cliffs. You can travel easily along beach for most of the way (at lower tides) but a particular section is frequently dangerous (ie boggy) due to seaweed under sand. A track heads inland at this location. I can post ~ co-ordinates of this spot if interested. (PS no responsibility taken) Other option is to take inland telegraph track - but can be a bit tedious.
Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 5871

Follow Up By: Kirsty - Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00
thanks for the offer but we dont have a gps. Looks like this track could be interesting, just what we're after. Cheers, Kirst.
FollowupID: 2575

Follow Up By: Melissa - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00
hi there greg we are heading over that way in a few days time and would love any info you could give us re- fishing spots and gps readings of danger spots thanks
mel
FollowupID: 2996

Follow Up By: Melissa - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00
have you any information on caves worth visiting along the nullabor as we are going over there next week .
FollowupID: 3007

Reply By: Gregory Harewood - Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00
"Looks like this track could be interesting" - sorry but do you mean the run along the beach or the telegraph track? Getting bogged at low tide on this beach is only interesting to onlookers (if there happens to be any)! A gps is a good investment - buy one and learn how to use it. GPS or not get some maps..The most detailed commercially available maps covering this area are the Auslig Malcolm Special, Balladonia & Culver 1;250,000 scale - most important tracks are shown. They show the telegraph track that runs a few k's inland of the coast. These are available from http://www.bookshop.vic.gov.au/infovic/anonymous/maps.asp

Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 5947

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Thursday, Sep 19, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 19, 2002 at 00:00
Melissa - Sea weed was bad west of this position when I was there last year - 590765E 6287350N Zone 51 Aus84. There is a track heading inland at this point. Approach cautiously as it may have changed.
A track heads inland to Wattle Camp at this point 600994E 6323062N Zone 51 Aus84. There is also another one a bit further east 601913E 6326741N Zone 51 Aus84. These are handy if you get caught by the tide and/or want to get on or off the Telegraph track.
Fishing ? Don’t know much about that – saw a few guys on a few of the rocky headlands around Israelite Bay. People go as far east as possible along the beach to the Baxter Cliffs/Wylie Scarp Junction and fish/camp there also. Incorrectly refereed to as Point Culver by many (which is further east along the cliffs).
I do not know the location of the track that heads up the Wylie Scarp to Toolinna Cove. I think it is about 5 or 6 Kms West of where the Baxter Cliffs start. This puts it at about 636889E 6354882N Zone 51 Aus84.
Hope this info is of some use.
Greg
AnswerID: 6779

Sponsored Links