Box for 3 way fridge

Submitted: Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1759 Views:1566 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I’m planing on having a box made out of aluminium checker plate to house a Chescold 3 way fridge/freezer on the draw bar of a camper trailer. I’m looking for any ideas that will help in the design. I would like to be able to run it on either 12v, gas or 240v while it is in the box.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Peter,
The only sugestion I can make is , It would be best if you could make the box double layer with insulation between the layers.....
It is truly amazing how hot it can get inside an aluminium box outside in the sun (Aluminium is a great conductor of heat....hence its us in Heatsinks etc).
Without the insulation the poor old fridge will have to work overtime to keep up with the heat resulting in increased power consumption etc....
Good Luck John
AnswerID: 5834

Reply By: Fred - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
Peter make sure you have plenty of circulation around the back - they really need it! Mine works really well on 12 volts in the back of the vehicle near the air outlet - thus getting a steady flow of cooled air as it passes out through the vent. I've heard a number of people say they don't work well on 12 volts and I put the good performance of mine down to the circulation of air around it.
AnswerID: 5835

Reply By: Darian - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
Amen to the above - my 3 way runs really well in the back of the Jack on 12 volts - on gas when stopped.
Must have plenty of circulating air around the back side (just like people :-) - 3 ways are great but they pack it in
fast if they don't have ideal conditions (like they have to be very close to perfectly level when stationary).
How about you let the 3 way take care of its own insulation and just build a protection box ?
dp
AnswerID: 5848

Follow Up By: Paul - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
What's the story with welding checker plate aluminium ? If i have a mig gas welder i understand i need argon, if i use a normal arc welder will it wled it ?
FollowupID: 2541

Sponsored Links