Suspension... around Oz, incl Simpson desert

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1764 Views:2391 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We are intending to embark on a journey around Oz for 1-2 years. We have a 2001 Dual Cab Hilux 3ltr TD. We intend to do a fair bit of sand driving (beach and desert) along with other reasonably basic 4wding and am not sure whether we need to upgrade our suspension or not? I have read the reviews in this forum and am confused. Some say wait until the current suspension wears out whilst others recommend upgrading now. A couple of the 4wd shops we have gone to have recommended Old Man Emu and quoted around $1600, but I have also read about Ranch - I'm not sure if they're just trying to get a sale. We will be carrying fridge, timber drawer system, water, food, swag, etc... What will happen if we dont upgrade (other than a rough ride) - are we likely to have problems in the desert, etc, or are the salesmen just trying to scare us? Any advice would be much appreciated?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Michelle, the set up you have now will do the job, it comes down to personal choice if you upgrade you will find the vehicle will be far better and more comfortable and safer when loaded, also most shockies have a life of 50 to 60 thousand ks. For the trip you are doing i would up grade, you wont be dissapointed . Col.
AnswerID: 5842

Reply By: Lindsay - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle, Just returned from the Simpson. I have a Hilux too. We kept the rear suspension as standard, but added PollyAirs (spring-airbag).These worked brilliantly as you can adjust the airbag to the load. We have Koni shockers (cost a bit more than Ranchos, but are rebuildable. Down side is you have to unbolt one end to adjust them.) The Ranchos have an external adjustment knob that can be knocked off or broken, though I've not heard of this happening.) Finally we added Rancho torsion bars and a set of Cooper ST tyres. Everything worked great.
AnswerID: 5844

Reply By: member-skippyking - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Michelle, your d/cab is almost new, so the suspension won't be worn out and is built to carry heavier loads than sedan style 4wd's and what you describe as a load wouldn't bother your Hilux's suspension. It is in essence a work ute. There are probably hundreds of d/c, extra cab and single cab Hilux's (not to mention all the other brands) carrying very hefty loads every day on farms and stations all over Oz on standard suspension. And it is a tough enviroment out on the land. As you mentioned the ride will be rougher than a sedan style 4wd, all work utes are, it's the heavier suspension. The ride may even be better with a load on???! Save your money. Enjoy your trip. 1-2 years sounds like heaven.
Grant
AnswerID: 5853

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle You can be absolutely certain that the salespeople are trying to get a sale! That's a basic requirement of their job. I have a Prado with standard suspension and have done the Simpson (and many other trips) loaded and with no troubles. Your suspension is heftier than mine so you'll have no trouble. It will definitely ride better with a load too. My Hilux ute is best when I have a tonne on the back! Toyota make strong vehicles and frankly I'd put more faith in suspension designed by them than in an aftermarket product. My observations are that many failures are the result of aftermarket or non genuine products. Personal experiences include - electric fans on a Pajero - gave constant trouble - air con on same vehicle - trouble and poor performance - aftermarket shocks on a Troopie - leaked within 6 months. Also consider warranty implications.
Cheers
AnswerID: 5895

Follow Up By: Michelle - Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Bob - I like to think that we dont need to spend all this money on a new car ...... What do you mean about considering warranty implications - can putting new suspension in affect your warranty? I hadn't thought of this
FollowupID: 2570

Sponsored Links