Triton V6 GLS any good?

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1774 Views:4878 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking about buying a Triton GLS V6 dual cab . I spend most of my time on the road but would like to take this 4WD to the cape and to the Kimberly .My question is how would you rate the Triton I like the V6 because of the power and the Triton for it`s size but how do they really stack up! So if you own one some feed back would be great thanks in advance for any info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00
Pitboss,

The Triton is a good strong truck and would be a good choice for the Cape. It is (llosely nased on the older Pajero and (more recently) the base for the Challenger.

It's weak points are the limited front suspension travel and the stiff (unless loaded) rear suspension.

I would guess that it would not be travelling to the Cape unloaded so it is only the front suspension that MIGHT be an issue. If the LSD is newish (ie less than 50,000 klms old) then this will not be a problem.

Other than that, I would suggest travelling early in the season when the roads are less washed out and the travelling will be easier.

Ask if you have any more questions.

Good luck.

Joe
AnswerID: 5881

Reply By: Andew - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00

Pitbos.. the cape won't be much of a challenge to the triton, use common sense, if unsure or any paths, crossings etc, just watch others, and do it when there is help around, maybe put some new shockies in ya truck, and just check that the upper control arm inner rubber bushes are AOK..

Just remember the V6 loves to drink..
AnswerID: 5889

Reply By: Eric - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2002 at 00:00

Pitboss
On a recent trip across the simpson and beyond the the triton v6 was the stand out best vehicle it used only slightly more fuel than the diesel land rover but carried all the gear and was the only vehicle in our group to drive over big red. The driver was very good that was a factor.
Eric.
AnswerID: 5890

Follow Up By: Paul - Thursday, Aug 29, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 29, 2002 at 00:00
The vehicle in question was an MJ V6. The fuel consumption for the crossing was 87l from Mt Dare to Birdsville, and the route we took covered 590 km so that's 14.8 l/100km. It was our first time across the Simpson, but I would not have thought the conditions could have been any easier, the rain had stopped, there was no surface water but the sand still had some dampness to it making the drive easier - it was two wheel drive most of the time.

General fuel consuption is running at an average of 13 l/100km for the life of the vehicle. It goes to 14 or so if you're in a hurry. The issue of engine size and consumption is one of efficiency and how hard the thing has to work. The low speed torque characteristic of the V6 means that on a crossing like the Simpson the engine is not working that hard and so does not consume that much juice. The advantage is that the engine power is there if needed - hills and passing on the highway in particular. So to my mind you get the best of both worlds. As another example, depending on the job the old 4 cylinder engine used more petrol the V6.

Cheers
FollowupID: 2685

Reply By: tim - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00
pitboss - i sold tritons for many years (no longer) and have seen them go anywhere any other will go - they have style and some comforts but watch out for thier poor turning circle and fuel guzzling habits common to V6"s
AnswerID: 6108

Reply By: TonyH - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00
First time on here but yes have a 99 V6 GLS. Very Thirsty but lots of power. Have had problems with fuel in mine, can't handle dirty fuel very well, too small a filter. Taken it everywhere I would take my 'cruiser ute and more comfy. Good on and off road and stands up and barks when you want it too, especially on the beach.

And I don't sell the things ;-)
AnswerID: 6116

Sponsored Links