BJ40 landcruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1809 Views:6226 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a BJ40 Landcruiser with a 3ltr 4 cylinder deisel engine & was wondering how difficult it is to replace it with the 6 cylider 2H deisel motor or any other 6 cylinder deisel for that matter. There looks like there's heaps of room! Any imfo would be appreciated.Thanks Ziggy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Aug 24, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 24, 2002 at 00:00
Ziggy
Changing the motor is possible but consider the gear ratios, if you are considering running on the highway the vehicle may have a lower top speed because the larger motor canot rev as high as the small one.
You may find it is a lot cheaper and better to trade it on a later model as a lot of buyers prefer the 4 over the 2H.
Eric.

AnswerID: 6013

Reply By: Ryan - Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00
Hey Ziggy,

I have a Bj40 Also. I dont think yours is a BJ40 as these engines cames with the 4 cylinder diesel 'B' engine. Perhaps yours is a HJ40 or something?
I know with bj40's the only engines that will bolt straight up to that gearbox are B or 3B.

Ryan
AnswerID: 6043

Reply By: andy - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00
If you want to get some more pull for your cruiser the 2H would be a fairly big job to transplant. Firstly you would need to change the gearbox and diff ratios so as it would perform the way that the 2H was designed. If you didn't change these things then you would probably chew through gearboxes and have really bad fuel economy.

Secondly you would have to change the front springs so as they could carry the extra weight of the 2H.

The best and esiest transplant for your car would be to put in the 3.4 litre turbo toyota engine. It is a factory turbo engine. It should mate up to your original gearbox and there would be no need to change gearbox, diffs and springs. The motors are available through importers of toyota engines from Japan. The engine will have heaps more grunt than your standard motor, have about the same torque as the 2H and have better fuel economy than both the 2 H and the 3 litre.

Some companies import these engines from Japan with really low milage and are usually able to be put in without too much problems.
AnswerID: 6074

Sponsored Links