99 Hilux Noisy Snorkel and Exhaust Gasket leak

Submitted: Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1823 Views:5627 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had fitted a Safari snorkel by ARB in Melb to my 99 Hilux 3.0 litre diesel and have noticed a change to the engine noise levels. The noise resonates quite loudly in the rev range between 2000 and 3000 RPM.Cabin noise is way above pre snorkel levels. Since fitting the snorkel I have blown 1 exhaust gasket between the manifold and exhaust pipe and it is noisy again after replacement.

Is there an answer to the problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00
Hello - we have had the same problem with work vehicles and took them back to Toyota (not that it was their problem) - they fitted what is called a boom box!! Helped somewhat but don’t think it fixed the problem completely...I can unfortunately provide no more details on this cause I have none - wasn’t my car - I assume it is some sort of extra compartment to help absorb the resonations. Ask you friendly dealer and see what he says or ring the snorkel manufacturer - they should know. You will not be the first to complain!! Other option is to disconnect it until needed.
Greg
AnswerID: 6057

Reply By: Squid - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Andy,
You may find that toyota wil fit this boom box free of charge if you have done less than 100k as it is a recognised problem with the 3.0 litre (advice from toyota). I bought my hilux with the box already fitted, but I am still having problems with resonance in the same rev range. I have been told that to fit a snorkel will make this resonance worse. Another downside is that the box is placed in the normal position of a second battery, so fitting a dual battery may involve placing the battery outside of the engine bay.
I would be interested to hear of others experiences to see how they may have got around this problem. Squid.
AnswerID: 6062

Follow Up By: Andy - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the advice guys, the boom box sounds like the way to go however I have already got a second battery installed in that space.

Any advice on why the Exhaust gaskets are blowing out. Is it to do with the extra airflow through the motor due to the snorkel?

Andy
FollowupID: 2657

Reply By: Billowaggi - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Andy exhaust gasket and snorkel problems are definately not related, snorkel will make little or no difference to exhaust pressure. I think that the exhaust flange may be warped, the studs stripped or perhaps all of the old gasket has not been removed. Just check that the replacement job is being done properly. By the way, 4cyl diesels drone and roar through the intake, a snorkel does make them worse! Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 6089

Follow Up By: Andy - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the advie. The old gasket was removed completely and I visually inspected it b4 it was replaced. The new one has lasted 3 months and may just need a tweak to tighten it up a bit. The flange shouldn't be warped. The car has done under 50,000 kms and has never overheated. I actually live in Victoria at 700 metres and the temp here rarely goes over 20 degrees. Mainly around 15 so the vehicle has never been exposed to extreme heat. It has been a lot of mucking around for a gasket worth $7.00. I will keep trying. Andy
FollowupID: 2679

Reply By: gary - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00

Andy
There is a guy at ARB Northern in Thomastown VIC- His name is Kerry , I think he is the service manager there. Anyway he is an absolute Toyota Legend. Drives a Hilux himself and knows everything worth knowing about 4WD's. He has helped heaps of my mates.
Regards
Gary
p.s if you are worried about the grumpy owner there - don't ! The place has a new owner and they are really keen to help.
AnswerID: 6112

Follow Up By: Andy - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Gary, I will give him a call for some advice. I figure that ARB owe me some as I have spent a total of $13,000 to date on the car all through the head office in Kilsyth on ARB gear. Next time that I am in Melbourne I will drop in and see him at Thomastown. Cheers Andy
FollowupID: 2681

Sponsored Links