tyre choice

Submitted: Monday, Sep 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1884 Views:1510 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm going on a beach trip shortly. I have two sets of tyres for my Jackaroo, Wrangler road tyres or Dunlop mud terrains. Which tyre would be best for sand driving. There seems to be two schools of thought.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Sep 02, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 02, 2002 at 00:00
Pressure is more important than tread pattern in sand, but HT should dig less than MT, and you don't really want to dig when in sand.
AnswerID: 6271

Follow Up By: Member-skippyking - Monday, Sep 02, 2002 at 00:00

Agree with Nigel on what he says. I will just add if one set is very bald, but still legal, go with those. SK
FollowupID: 2770

Reply By: kezza - Monday, Sep 02, 2002 at 00:00

Technique and experience matter most - use either tyre - you will either be one of those who works it out or not. Sometimes you need to get stick a lot to work it all out. Been driving on the beach and sand since I was 17 most of the time initially in 2wd vehicles - you just have to be attuned. Currently I have a Nissan Patrol with BFG M/Ts KM - I never bother reducing the pressure - {waits to be howled down by the "experts"} it will idle out of most problem spots let alone if we purposly bog it to the axles to demonstrate the effectivness of the tyres - if your well shod muddies have a good side lug they could lift you out - if not, just jumping on the sand to compact it around the tyre, wetting the sand and/or just gently rocking it out will be a great party trick. If you manage to have it sitting high and dry on the axles/body -wheels spinning - you havn't got it.
The art of when to be gentle or when to give it heaps will save you every time!

We're talking about playing here cause most beach driving is pretty boring unless you've got a good adventure planned - I notice even on Fraser Is its hard to get bogged at all on the miles of timber trackways placed on the "fun" bits.
have fun -

kezza (Sunshine Coast)
AnswerID: 6297

Follow Up By: Member-skippyking - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Kezza, Sunshine Coast beaches must be different to some of our South Coast WA beaches. There's no way you could do what you describe on them. Around Esperance some beaches are different and can be driven on by 2wd but come back between Albany and Esperance and I'd be lending you my compressor so you could get home. Been driving on sand a while myself. No expert, SK.
FollowupID: 2797

Follow Up By: Kezza - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Sorry skip I dont mean to be a smarty but often we sit and watch folk in 4bies trying to get up out of the beach they need 10 goes then a tow up through the loose sand to get out - Ill stick to my guns - we still get up through the that same stretch -any speed any day. Ill put it down to experience 90% - vehicle tyres and pressure 10% cause I used to do the same stretch in 2wd and also in an old diesel landrover with skinny tyres (then low pressure counted) - mind you the places we used to get in 2wd still amaze me but it was hard on the vehicles. I guess Ive had lots of experience (army, outback truckie and adventurer) beeen bogged heaps in all sorts of vehicles. These days inexperienced drivers make things look a lot harder than they are, thats why I suggest Mark or anybody plays a bit (if its not going to damage the environment) cause otherwise youll never know what you can and cannot do. But dont judge me because I happen to skite a bit about what we do - the fact is that we do it!! We also get stuck sometimes but if I get stuck its because Im testing the limits usually not stuck for long and always can get myself out. By the way to my knowledge sand is sand no matter where you are- some tidal flats are suicidal - dont go there.
Anyhow thanks for your response
happy trekkin
kezza
FollowupID: 2802

Follow Up By: Kezza - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Just a quikie follow up - if you are traversing the dunes on the beach (naughty in many places if not banned) I agree wholehartedly re tyre pressure but insist Id never trade my muddies for a bald tread pattern, I'd deflate and idle up the hill as long as you dont spin excessivly should be able to take on a fair slope.
kezza
FollowupID: 2805

Sponsored Links