Blackstone Camp

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1897 Views:1611 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks. Anyone got any info on a place called Blackstone Camp
on the Warburton Hwy just after Giles Station. ?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne - Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00
Blackstone Camp is an aboriginal community. You would need a good reason to go there, or need to know someone to get permission to enter.
AnswerID: 6456

Follow Up By: Gus - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00
Thank you Wayne for replay about Blackstone Camp. I drove through that area in 1979 with two freinds on the way to Perth and I'm just in the procces of writing a book about that trip. But at that time I sure it was not an Aborignal Cummuity set, and I'm trying to find out about its history, if you help further please contact me.

Thanks Gus
FollowupID: 2923

Reply By: Wayne - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00
Gus

You could always contact the WA Department of Education (www.eddept.wa.edu.au) as they have staff that are located there in a teaching capacity.

Also contact Laverton Police as they patrol that area (the worlds longest police beat)

It may be advantageous to contact the nursing staff that work there. Info on this may be gained from the Health Department, or possibly some nursing organisation like CRANA - the Council of Remote Area Nurses of Australia. They have heaps of info on bush and aboriginal nursing posts.

Try the aboriginal departments in WA - not sure which ones would be the best help, but a search on the WA govt site may be of help. (www.wa.gov.au)

I came past that area in April this year but the permit specifically stated that travel was for transit reasons, meaning that you can't just drop in and see what is going on in these areas, unless invited. Good luck with your writing.

Wayne
AnswerID: 6517

Sponsored Links